Socks or no socks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Socks or no socks

I ride without socks most of the year. Have been for about the last 8-9 years. I have ridden in Diadora, Louis Garneau, and Sidi shoes, and I have never had a problem with blisters or athlete’s foot.. I know few folks that ride sockless. Am I alone on this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Am I alone on this?
    Pretty much, yes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... can't imagine riding without socks... course, I'm old, brittle and smell of Ben-Gay and mothballs...

Needs new heart and legs
    Jul 2011
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Hanging 10 bra
    You must ride with socks....IMHO.......just to keep the stinch of sweaty feet from stinking up the group rides HAHAHA.
    But seriously, I couldnt imagine not having socks in full shoes when riding. I wear mostly shorties swiftwick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Always with socks for me. I can see why tri folks would want to train with out though.

Still On Steel
    My riding buddy goes sockless, other than in the winter and possibly on cool spring/fall days. Says he has no problems. I don't think I could do it, if only because I'd dislike the feel. I'm okay with no socks while wearing sandals or Crocs, but that's as far as I can go.
    Allez Rouge

RoadBikeReview Member
    Always in socks, most times in the summer with the ones that just cover the foot.

I'm sure you are not alone, but you might wonder why a few of your buddies are standing a little bit away from you.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

No socks

I haven't tried that hmmm i wonder if that's more comfortable

Full Fledged Member
    The only time I do not wear socks is when I am wearing my Keen sandals. I like the wicking effect of socks and my feet get in and out of the shoe easier. But if you like no socks, then go with it.
    1.21 Gigawatts!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Socks

Do you wear a sleeveless jersey as well?

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I think my foot is developing a blister just thinking about riding without socks
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2011 Specialized Crux Pinky SS
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2015 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    2011 Fuji D6 3.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dougclaysmith View Post
    Socks

I do, I do! I also have a a full Garmin-Cervelo kit and a Trek Leopard Kit and a Saxo Bank kit, a yellow jersey, a polka dot jersey, a white jersey, a green jersey, a pink jersey, a camelback, three pairs of Oakley cycling glasses, glasses mounted review mirror, floursecent yellow Mavic shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I'm sockless. Not by choice though. My pair of shoes fit so snugly that the feet get uncomfortable with socks in the tow box area. I have a hell of time finding the right shoes. I have a wide toe box but super skinny ankles. I will eventually get a new pair of shoes, but it will take some effort to find the right one. My current shoes are a perfect fit, barefoot. I don't even have to buckle them, they fit so well.

I insert a dryer sheet in each shoe after I ride.

Same issue with ski boots for me (although I do where a pair of super thin socks). One manufacturer works for me; Solomon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wear socks.

Speaking of socks, how many riders think that "cycling socks" are a waste of money?

I supported my LBS last week buy purchasing 4 pairs of $11/pr Swiftwick socks. Honestly I can't tell any difference b/w them and my cheapie anklet athletic socks from WalMart. They both work just as well.

banned
    Apr 2008
    I use the ankle socks, more like liners.

On the wrong floor again
    I used to MTB with no socks as I hated the feeling of wet socks. I do use cycling socks, but cheap ones. I like the thin fabric and they do wick well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

You are not alone

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I ride without socks most of the year. Have been for about the last 8-9 years. I have ridden in Diadora, Louis Garneau, and Sidi shoes, and I have never had a problem with blisters or athlete’s foot.. I know few folks that ride sockless. Am I alone on this?
    I only wear socks for warmth. Otherwise, no socks. Been doing it for decades. Rode across the country without socks. No blisters. To each his own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I do not ride with a group of people who are trying to look cool.
    Therefore we all wear socks.

AKA Old Man
    Respect

Rule #27
    “Well, the bike racer is not that ferocious to look at, and lets face it, skeletal level of skinniness, also, the clothing is pretty odd”
    Bob Roll – 2011 Tour de France

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    No socks or shirt or helmet and cut off jeans and one sparkly glove.
    Tip of the day: Turn your handlebars upright, easier on the back

Devoid of all flim-flam
    The only time I wear socks is when the temperature gets below about 55 degrees. Otherwise, I haven't worn socks while on a bicycle since about 1972.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougclaysmith View Post
    Socks

Actually, I do wear sleeveless jerseys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    I wear socks.

Speaking of socks, how many riders think that "cycling socks" are a waste of money?

I supported my LBS last week buy purchasing 4 pairs of $11/pr Swiftwick socks. Honestly I can't tell any difference b/w them and my cheapie anklet athletic socks from WalMart. They both work just as well.
    I wear socks - and cycling specific socks at that. Cheap socks are ok for short rides or a 40 minute spin class, but for anything longer I need a thin, non/squishy, cycling sock or I'll get hotpsots.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    I wear socks.

I'm this way. I fooled around and got a free pair of socks from my LBS. Swiftwick. Had I bought them myself, they would have been $22 for one pair.

WTF? I honestly can't tell the difference from them and the cotton/synthetic blend socks I got from WM. They were probably $8 for three pair.

I wear the swiftwicks because I won them and also because that's what I'm "supposed to wear." But if they're not clean, I grab the cheapos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast