some easy questions
    RoadBikeReview Member

some easy questions

I posted this in the racer forum, but I can see I may get better results in this one:

Ive been recreational riding for years and years, but Im interesting is racing this year. I found a racing team that is part of the club I ride with. I'd like to join, but I don't know the system. A few direct questions...

Sould I get a USCF license? I did a couple criteriums with a one day licenses a few years ago. What would a USCF racing license do for me? Waive the racing fee?

As far as joining the team, how do I approach the racing team (is it by invitation only??) and what are the group dynamics? I know at least one of the team members from doing group rides and such.

Will I be fixed to a racing schedule? What is expected of me in terms of participation? What are the expectations as far as performance?

Lots o' questions, I know. Im sure a few folks here will be more than happy to unmystify racing for me. Thanks in advance!!

Andy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy C
    I posted this in the racer forum, but I can see I may get better results in this one:

Ive been recreational riding for years and years, but Im interesting is racing this year. I found a racing team that is part of the club I ride with. I'd like to join, but I don't know the system. A few direct questions...

Sould I get a USCF license? I did a couple criteriums with a one day licenses a few years ago. What would a USCF racing license do for me? Waive the racing fee?

As far as joining the team, how do I approach the racing team (is it by invitation only??) and what are the group dynamics? I know at least one of the team members from doing group rides and such.

Will I be fixed to a racing schedule? What is expected of me in terms of participation? What are the expectations as far as performance?

Lots o' questions, I know. Im sure a few folks here will be more than happy to unmystify racing for me. Thanks in advance!!

Andy
    Just get your license and talk to the team directly. There is no fixed schedule for amatuers and the dynamics and expectations are different with every team. Good luck!

hi, I'm Larry

Get the yearly license if you plan on doing 10 races

The yearly license is $50. A daily license is $5. Daily license are available at most if not all events. Most races require a license, either one is fine. You also need to pay the entry fee for the race. Once you want to advance past Cat 5 you will need to get the yearly.

Every team is different. Some cater to those starting out and have a lot of small races to help the beginner along. Others are elite only and will let you in only if you are a real tallent. Some are just a bunch of folks with attitudes. Go talk to your club team, go on a few of the training rides with them, if you like the atmosphere race with the team.

You don't have to be on a team to race. Bicycle racing is not really a team sport until you get to the more advanced categories and races.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bimini
    You don't have to be on a team to race. Bicycle racing is not really a team sport until you get to the more advanced categories and races.
    True. Collegiate cycling is much better in this regard because everyone isn't trying to get their upgrade.