Some examples of short-reach handlebars?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Some examples of short-reach handlebars?

Does anyone have some examples of short-reach handlebars? I can't seem to find this information published anywhere. I want something about 70-75mm (3T 199's are 75mm reach (my current bar), but most bars are 85-90: too long for me). I would like to upgrade to 31.7 bars (having test-rode a bike and really liked the added stiffness) but I still want a short reach. Any ideas?

Cipo's long lost cousin

Salsa and Ritchey

Take a look at Salsa (Pocos, Short and Shallows) and Ritchey Biomax... Both companies make bars with short reach and drop...
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    Does anyone have some examples of short-reach handlebars? I can't seem to find this information published anywhere. I want something about 70-75mm (3T 199's are 75mm reach (my current bar), but most bars are 85-90: too long for me). I would like to upgrade to 31.7 bars (having test-rode a bike and really liked the added stiffness) but I still want a short reach. Any ideas?
    check out Short & Shallows by Salsa. they were recommended to me but to be honest i haven't tried them out yet.
    short & shallow

rt
    when i rule the world, things will be different

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Easton EC90 Equipe Pro Carbon

I am about to put these on my bike for the first time.

http://www.cbike.com/easton_ec90.htm
    75mm reach, 130mm drop

They are a bit tough to find. Two of my LBS's didn't even know they existed. They tried to sell me the EC90 Equipe instead (85mm/145mm). WiseCycleBuys.com could not get them.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by team_sheepshead
    I am about to put these on my bike for the first time.

http://www.cbike.com/easton_ec90.htm
    75mm reach, 130mm drop

They are a bit tough to find. Two of my LBS's didn't even know they existed. They tried to sell me the EC90 Equipe instead (85mm/145mm). WiseCycleBuys.com could not get them.
    How do you like the Equipe Pro? Thinking about this bar myself. Btw, what have you used before?

Juanmoretime

Kestrel bars are also short reach.

they are the same dimensions as the TTT Prima 199's. I went from the 199's to the Kestrel EMS Pro SL and didn't ntice much diffence except the Kestrel's weren't as flexy.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

not very short...

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    they are the same dimensions as the TTT Prima 199's. I went from the 199's to the Kestrel EMS Pro SL and didn't ntice much diffence except the Kestrel's weren't as flexy.
    The kestrel bar has an advertised reach of 84mm, which is far from a short reach.

The Salso Poco bar is a truly short reach bar at 70mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Salso Poco..

The Salso Poco, recommended by others, is the shortest reach bar at 70mm, the Kestrel Equipe Pro (round curve) is the next shortest that I could find at 75mm.

I assume you have a stem length problem that is driving your desire for short reach bars?

I would not worry about oversize bars. The Salsa Poco bars, with a stiif stem, like an Easton EM-90 or Ritchey Comp is a very stiff combination. If you need more stiffness, I would suspect that you are misapplying your weight. Extreme pushing and pulling on the bars won't make you faster.

I noticed that Magnus Backstedt, the largest pro rider, doesn't use oversize bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

EC90 Equipe Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mellowman
    How do you like the Equipe Pro? Thinking about this bar myself. Btw, what have you used before?
    After about a week on the bike, they seem great. Nice and stiff, and I definitely notice the smoothness over alu bars. Although the other day I hit a pothole going 15mph and got a stinger up my arm that lasted for six blocks. That's never happened before.

I've tried a couple different kinds of Bontrager bars and recently tried 3TTT Prima 199s made of Alutan. They were too stiff for me--not much shock dampening at all. I was getting sore hands after 20 miles. But I ride on crappy NYC roads, so I need some give.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O
    Take a look at Salsa (Pocos, Short and Shallows) and Ritchey Biomax... Both companies make bars with short reach and drop...
    I use to ride the salsa ones but changed to 38cm bontrager racelite. Next year they are going to have carbon ones! I can't wait, it is about time someone had a 38cm short drop carbon bar.