Sore biceps

Thread: Sore biceps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Sore biceps

I changed from a 42 to a 46 handle bar a few months ago. The 42's were to narrow and the wider ones are very near my shoulder width. I now have noticed that my biceps, near my elbow are always sore. Not a constant pain, but when I apply pressure or engage them. I played golf a week ago and no problems. Anyone have any suggestion as to why or corrections. I know that some will suggest moving back to the narrow ones, but my breathing sea to be better withy shoulders opened up.

fu
    It seems to me that you might be stiff on the bike. Try relaxing your grip and elbows.
    I don't think my biceps have ever been sore from/during cycling. Triceps - definitely but not biceps since I don't really use them on the bike.
    Last edited by ph0enix; 08-01-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

pedalpedalpedal
    I've had sore biceps before, but it was always from lots of climbing in big gears out of the saddle.

If the 46cm bar makes them sore, but the 42cm was too narrow, look for a 44cm and see if that helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As suggested, the soreness might be due to tension. Cause? Well ... when you went to a wider bar, did everything else remain unchanged? i.e. stem size/angle/positon, handlebar tilt, brifter placement, saddle position.

A wider bar increases the reach from your saddle to your brifters. In your case, I'd say about 1/2". If you didn't compensate for the change, then you might be pulling on the bars ever so slightly to maintain the same torso angle you had prior to the change.

The other item to check is brifter placement. Your arms extend out towards the levers at a slightly different angle than they did with the 42cm. If you set them up exactly the same, then you might be squeezing the hoods slightly to maintain your previous hand placement.

$0.02

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks all!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    agree.If you set them up exactly the same, then you might be squeezing the hoods slightly to maintain your previous hand placement.