• 07-22-2019
    Trek_5200
    Spare rear derailleur hanger
    anyone carry one when going on a bike trip? never thought about it before
  • 07-22-2019
    J.R.
    When I'm riding gravel (in the boondocks), yes.
  • 07-22-2019
    harryman
    If you mean out of town on vacation, I keep a spare in my toolbox that I bring. I don't bother otherwise even on my mtb. If I bend it, I'll just bend it back close enough to be able to shift. If I break it, I make it a singlespeed and limp home. I've never bent one on a road bike except when shipping it, so I figure the odds are low.
  • 07-22-2019
    duriel
    I always have one... except now, new bike, need to get one. .....and yes I had to use it once when I had a crash riding to the start (of the ride), at a remote city, at dawn.
  • 07-23-2019
    davesupra
    I keep one on my MTB and Fat bike, I figure that the odds of wrecking one on my road bike is pretty minimal so I don't bother. Watch, now I've jinxed myself. :(
  • 07-23-2019
    dir-t
    No. I figure if I break a der. during a road bike ride that I have bigger (medical) problems to tend to.

For the mtb, like harryman, I just rig it good enough to limp back to the trailhead.

I used to keep a spare der. hanger for my mtb but stopped doing that after having 3 of them outlasted the bikes they fit.

In fact, in 30 years of riding mountain bikes, I can't recall breaking a single derailleur bad enough that I couldn't make it work for at least a few more rides. The same can't be said of wheels, bottom bracket spindles, crank arms, or freehubs. Where do you draw the line on carrying spares for things that *might* go wrong?
  • 07-23-2019
    davesupra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    No. I figure if I break a der. during a road bike ride that I have bigger (medical) problems to tend to.

For the mtb, like harryman, I just rig it good enough to limp back to the trailhead.

I used to keep a spare der. hanger for my mtb but stopped doing that after having 3 of them outlasted the bikes they fit.

In fact, in 30 years of riding mountain bikes, I can't recall breaking a single derailleur bad enough that I couldn't make it work for at least a few more rides. The same can't be said of wheels, bottom bracket spindles, crank arms, or freehubs. Where do you draw the line on carrying spares for things that *might* go wrong?

I started carrying one after I had a stick flip up into my rear wheel and completely tear the der off. That was about 3 years ago, haven't needed one since I started carrying one. :p
  • 07-23-2019
    Jay Strongbow
    Not replaceable on my frames now so n/a but when I had a carbon frame yes I did take a spare when I went away but never carried it on the bike.

I carry a small chain breaker and pin so going single speed would be my solution for getting home should I break one during a ride.
  • 07-23-2019
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

You're probably smart enough to not buy a weight weenie road frame then. You'd be surprised at how easy some of them can break.
  • 07-23-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Hope nobody ever knocks your bike over at the coffee shop or you get a stick in your spokes. A spare hanger is soooo small why wouldn't you carry one?
  • 07-23-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    I once knew a guy who liked doing long tours; like riding 500 miles over a week, then taking his bike back home via Amtrak. He used to carry EVERYTHING, including spare cable, housing, extra spokes (they fit beautifully in the seat tube), tubes, tires, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a spare dropout as well (although I don't think his touring bike was that type). If you break it 50 miles outside of town, your return will be significantly delayed if you need to climb steep hills while stuck in high gear...
  • 07-23-2019
    dir-t
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Hope nobody ever knocks your bike over at the coffee shop or you get a stick in your spokes. A spare hanger is soooo small why wouldn't you carry one?

Oh shoot. I misread the OP - thought he was asking if anyone ever carries a spare DERAILLEUR.

But, like I eluded to, I've broken exactly one hanger in 3 decades of riding off road while sending three or four of 'em off with my old bikes when I sold them. I may eventually get one for my current mtb but I'm not in a hurry yet.

I don't stop anywhere on road bike rides. My town is relatively small and once I ride out of it there are no stores. Once I'm back, I'd just as soon go home and change first.

Frankly, I'm too cheap to frequent coffee shops. Whatever swill is left over in my coffee maker from the day before is good enough for me.
  • 07-23-2019
    DaveG
    Quote:

Oh shoot. I misread the OP - thought he was asking if anyone ever carries a spare DERAILLEUR.

But, like I eluded to, I've broken exactly one hanger in 3 decades of riding off road while sending three or four of 'em off with my old bikes when I sold them. I may eventually get one for my current mtb but I'm not in a hurry yet.

I don't stop anywhere on road bike rides. My town is relatively small and once I ride out of it there are no stores. Once I'm back, I'd just as soon go home and change first.

Frankly, I'm too cheap to frequent coffee shops. Whatever swill is left over in my coffee maker from the day before is good enough for me.

I were doing a cross-county excursion or major off-road adventure I would carry one. However, no matter what you bring or how prepared you are there is always a small possibility of a mechanical issue or injury that ends your ride. In the age of Uber, this is less scary than it used to be
  • 07-23-2019
    duriel
    Quote:

I don't think this is 'normal', just say'in!
  • 07-23-2019
    Finx
    Each bike has it's own saddle bag. Each saddle bag has a spare hangar. It's not that expensive and it's some nice piece of mind, especially for long rides outside of mobile range in areas with lots of sticks and twigs (which i do often).

Fortunately, I've never needed to use one, but at least if I need it, it's there.
  • 07-23-2019
    Srode
    On my gravel bike yes, probably should get one for my road bike too.
  • 07-24-2019
    Trek_5200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You're probably smart enough to not buy a weight weenie road frame then. You'd be surprised at how easy some of them can break.

One of the reasons I have two colnagos and ti firefly frame. I'm mature enough to know that a few grams of frame weight is not the reason i'm getting dropped in races.
  • 07-24-2019
    duriel
    I don't think having a spare hanger is a wieght weiny issue. I have one in the car, not on the bike. Now if I was going on a 8 hour ride I may consider taking it, but usually not.
  • 07-24-2019
    badgerbadger
    Only in my tool box for my Klein which has transitioned from a replacement part to a legacy part. Anyways In my 30+ years of road and trail Iíve bent hangers but Iíve never broken one.
    However One time during a 36hr unsupported event I came across a team who had broken their hanger and we were hours away from support. I loaned them my chain breaker & Leatherman to cut the RD cable and had it converted to a fixie so they could at least ride the fire trail out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-24-2019
    harryman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

Because I carry a cellphone? Same reason I don't carry a spare tire in case I tear a sidewall. If I was bikepacking or mtbing off in the boonies on a monster ride, I'd bring a hanger. Otherwise, it would be an inconvenience, but not a crisis. I'm not sure how many broken hangers you all go through on a road bike, but I'm at zero. I've bent lots of mtb hangers, but never one during a road ride.
  • 07-24-2019
    tlg
    I've broken 1 hanger in all my years of riding, which also resulted in tearing the derailleur in half. So a spare hanger would've been useless.

Looking at my Strava data, I have over 5,500 cumulative rides (12,000+hrs) with other riders, if I included non-Strava members I'm sure it's well over 6,000 rides. I can't recall a single instance of someone needing a hanger on a ride.

Odds of needing a hanger are extremely minuscule.

On the other hand, I've seen:
    Cut tires: several instances
    Broke chains: several instances
    Broken cables: many instances
  • 07-24-2019
    Alaska Mike
    I used to carry one when I traveled with bikes that had rather flimsy derailleur hangers. I'd replace the original with a more beefy version (usually Wheels Manufacturing) and carry the original in the bike box- never on the bike. I've never broken one, but TSA was nice enough to bend a couple significantly enough for me to replace them. I usually remove the rear derailleur when traveling, but never did take off the hanger.

Now I travel with ti bikes that don't have replaceable derailleur hangers, so that solves that issue.