Speakers for Bike
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Speakers for Bike

I know there have been some discussions about listening to music while riding but music is nearly a must for me when riding. Obviously ear buds and such are dangerous.

Any recommendations on a Bluetooth speaker for the bike? Bluetooth isn't a necessity but it's certainly convenient.

Thanks for the input!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Really?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, there seems to be about a million of them on the market so I can't be the only one to think of it.

Again, anything in my ears would be dangerous. People listen to music all the time while working out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Where would you mount them? Or why not ride with just one ear bud

Pack Fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    ...music is nearly a must for me when riding.
    I find this comment interesting. While having my own theme music would be nice (Curtis Mayfield's Superfly would be my ironic choice since I'm about the whitest and non-ghetto guy you'd ever meet), I actually prefer the "silence" of the road, which is actually comprised of subtle sounds that connect me even more to the experience. Sometimes I think our culture is so hyper-stimulated that we can't recognize the beauty of non-processed/packaged experiences. If I need music, I follow Andy Dufresne's example and play it in my head. Usually I prefer the whir of the drivetrain and the hum of the tires over pavement.

This comes from a guy who spent over 3 years playing music major and essentially immersing himself in it a couple decades ago. Even today, people who aren't actively engaged with what they're listening to and instead use it as background noise annoy me.

While I applaud you for recognizing the potential problems with wearing earbuds while riding, which people either find as an acceptable or unneccesary risk. As for speakers, why do you assume those around you have the same tastes as you do? Kinda reminds me of the boom box on the handlebars thing in the '80s, or the current earth-shaking/panel rattling car stereo bass movement of today. All about common courtesy to me.

I say leave the music for the trainer and just ride your bike. Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because I won't see dry (no snow or ice) pavement for well over a month. We have a lot of snow piled up, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I dont want to listen to your music, stick it in your ears

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetree View Post
    I tend to agree. Unwanted music is the worst kind of noise pollution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Whistle the main theme from the first movement of Mendelsohn's Italian Symphony, and pretend you're Dave Stohler.

Never Give Up!
    [QUOTE= I actually prefer the "silence" of the road, which is actually comprised of subtle sounds that connect me even more to the experience. Sometimes I think our culture is so hyper-stimulated that we can't recognize the beauty of non-processed/packaged experiences. If I need music, I follow Andy Dufresne's example and play it in my head. Usually I prefer the whir of the drivetrain and the hum of the tires over pavement.

While I applaud you for recognizing the potential problems with wearing earbuds while riding, I say leave the music for the trainer and just ride your bike.[/QUOTE]

I'm with this guy, I even get bothered when my riding buddies want to carry on full conversations while riding... most of the time I can even hear what there saying, it boils down to hearing bla-bla-bla-bla at times...
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    I too find some of the comments here very interesting.

First, there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that riding with music is more dangerous. Indeed, one's hearing can often be deceptive and misleading. It is a known statistical fact that getting hit from behind is not a significant danger compared to other types of accidents. Thus, there is little need to hear cars approaching from behind, especially when it won't matter if you are listening to music or the sounds of the ride. Moreover, the sound of the wind while riding is often louder than any music one may be listening to.

Second, I find it even more interesting that some people are so righteous about their opinion on the importance of the silence of the road. Everybody likes what they like. One's experience is not more righteous than another's. People connect to the experience in different ways. Some connect with music, others don't. I don't prefer the whir of the drivetrain or the hum of the tires. I prefer something else. You may like pizza and I may not. One preference is not more righteous than another.

Third, although I say the OP should just wear earphones, if he/she gets mounted speakers, so what! How freaking disruptive to another's precious ride could they be. I mean for crying out loud, its not like the dude is going to shove the speakers up someone's arse and force them to listen for any extended period of time. The actual disruption the music will cause to others is de minimis at best. Indeed, if I encounter some guy riding with speakers, the only reaction I will have is a happy smile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cook

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    I tend to agree. Unwanted music is the worst kind of noise pollution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    This comes from a guy who spent over 3 years playing music major and essentially immersing himself in it a couple decades ago. Even today, people who aren't actively engaged with what they're listening to and instead use it as background noise annoy me.

. As for speakers, why do you assume those around you have the same tastes as you do? Kinda reminds me of the boom box on the handlebars thing in the '80s, or the current earth-shaking/panel rattling car stereo bass movement of today. All about common courtesy to me.
    I wasn't intending to blast Wu Tang Clan from a couple of 15 inch subwoofers. The speakers that I'm looking at are VERY small. I would be surprised if anyone else could hear them. I'm not talking on group rides here either.

Alaska Mike - I've been a musician for about the same length of time. I guess that's why I think everything is better with music. I too have a hard time just "listening" and not concentrating on the arrangement, rhythm, recording techniques, etc. but silence bores me to pieces.

MrCookie. I like your link but I'm not an Apple fan so I'd be using my Android phone as the source but something like that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the helpful response!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

my vote

I know there have been some discussions about listening to music while riding but music is nearly a must for me when riding. Obviously ear buds and such are dangerous.

Any recommendations on a Bluetooth speaker for the bike? Bluetooth isn't a necessity but it's certainly convenient.

Thanks for the input!
    I know we are not really voting but I have to side with those that say it would be annoying to those around you. I would not want to ride in a group with someone who used this although you may only be intending it for solo rides. I do have to ask, if you can't ride without additional stimulus, have you considered maybe cycling is not enjoyable enough for you over the long haul?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    .... Obviously ear buds and such are dangerous.
    Well, if you don't turn into an unaware clueless rider when you're listening to your ear buds, they are in no way "dangerous". That's an opinion that's usually touted as some sort of self-evident fact, but it is not. Just don't turn the music up too loud, and don't become clueless just because you're listening to music. It's perfectly safe that way.

I agree -why would you use speakers? In order to actually hear them, you'd be one of "those guys" (along with all Harley riders and car drivers w/ loud mufflers) who think the sound of their ride is so sweet that they think the rest of us need to listen to it too.

Don't add to noise pollution, use ear buds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I have one of these. It has a 3 watt 170 lumen headlight with five modes on one end, and a tiny speaker on the other. It has a 2 GB storage capacity, which is plenty for most rides. Despite the small size, it has pretty decent sound.

I only use it when riding with others with similar taste in music, and even then I keep the volume low. I don't want to force my music on others who may not have the same taste.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I wasn't intending to blast Wu Tang Clan from a couple of 15 inch subwoofers. The speakers that I'm looking at are VERY small. I would be surprised if anyone else could hear them. I'm not talking on group rides here either.

Alaska Mike - I've been a musician for about the same length of time. I guess that's why I think everything is better with music. I too have a hard time just "listening" and not concentrating on the arrangement, rhythm, recording techniques, etc. but silence bores me to pieces.

MrCookie. I like your link but I'm not an Apple fan so I'd be using my Android phone as the source but something like that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the helpful response!
    Wu Tang Clan... Ah, those dulcet tones.

If you're into Android, then look into Sony Ericsson's (now just Sony's) speaker accessories. I used to work for them, and they make great speakers. Your challenge in getting speakers for your bike is getting ones that can handle road vibration as well as rain/ tire splash. To be honest, because of this as well as the hassle in setting them up (and then there is the additional battery drain caused by external speakers), I'd recommend you revisit the in-ear option.

I'd advocate you go for a lower-end set of sports headphones. The better noise cancellation of higher end headphones means you can't hear what's going on so well, plus what's going on blends in with the music so you can't hear the songs so well, and finally the buds will get trashed anyway; better do it on a $40 set than a $400 set!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    this is better for the climbs

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by Tschai View Post
    I too find some of the comments here very interesting.

First, there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that riding with music is more dangerous. Indeed, one's hearing can often be deceptive and misleading. It is a known statistical fact that getting hit from behind is not a significant danger compared to other types of accidents. Thus, there is little need to hear cars approaching from behind, especially when it won't matter if you are listening to music or the sounds of the ride. Moreover, the sound of the wind while riding is often louder than any music one may be listening to.
    hey, do us all a favor and go ahead and cite the published research supporting your "known statistical fact", OK? After all, that's where actual 'known statistical facts' come from, right?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    You should get one of these. Actually, I'm pretty sure I really did have one when I was a kid, on my trusty Schwinn 1-speed. Ah, those were the days...

M60
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I use a $10 speaker that I bought at Staples. It plugs into the earphone jack on my MP3 player and is secured under the stem with a Twofish mount and some velcro. The speaker charges with a mini USB cable. Long bike rides become much more enjoyable when you put on some good tunes. YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    hey, do us all a favor and go ahead and cite the published research supporting your "known statistical fact", OK? After all, that's where actual 'known statistical facts' come from, right?
    Never ask a question you don't know the answer to.

Try here, Rear End Part 2 = 3.8% of collisions:
    http://bicyclesafe.com/

Try another, No. 5 = 7% of accidents:
    Sharing the Road With Bicycles

Here is another, The Big Rear End = Not a frequent type of accident:
    10 Common Crashes and How to Avoid them

Your turn for a big favor and show statistics contrary to the above.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tschai View Post
    Never ask a question you don't know the answer to.

Try here, Rear End Part 2 = 3.8% of collisions:
    http://bicyclesafe.com/

Try another, No. 5 = 7% of accidents:
    Sharing the Road With Bicycles

Here is another, The Big Rear End = Not a frequent type of accident:
    10 Common Crashes and How to Avoid them

Your turn for a big favor and show statistics contrary to the above.
    Touché Tschai

Pack Fodder.
    Actually, my musical experience taught me to value silence- space between the notes and all of that stuff. The longer the pause, the greater the potential impact- if the timing is right.

Just put me in the camp of thinking that life needs no soundtrack- as it already has one. If music is an organic part of an experience, it's great, but I don't see a need to insert it into every situation. Musak was created for that purpose.

I do some of my best thinking on the bike, and music generally distracts me. One more distraction is about three too many for me on the road. Then again, I don't multi-task too well these days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast