Specialized Diverge Comp -VS- Felt Z3 Disc -VS- ???
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015

Specialized Diverge Comp -VS- Felt Z3 Disc -VS- ???

Hello,

This is my first post. I found this site during my search for the perfect road bike in my price range of $3,000 to $3,500 if there's such a thing. I thought I was set to go with the Diverge Comp until I came across the Felt Z3 Disc.

This will be my first venture into road bike cycling. My immediate goal is to ride the 2016 BP MS150 from Houston to Austin Texas so i'll need to move quick to start training. I like the idea of the gravel / endurance road bikes for comfort and the go beyond the tarmac. Is this hype and marketing or is there really something to this segment?

I seen lots of cyclist on various Specialized bikes but not so much Felt's. Any thoughts or opinions, anyone have experience with both?

Thanks
    The new guy

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Although I do not have the experience needed to help you, I can point you to a similar thread that might help...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...es-351603.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is the Diverge really a Road bike? I thought it was a Gravel / Adventure bike. The Roubaix would be more of a Road bike, if you have a Specialized dealer near you.

I'd also look at the following brands/models.

Trek - Emonda/Domane/Madone
    Cannondale - CAAD and the Synapse
    Giant - Propel
    Fuji - Altamira, Transonic, SST, SL
    Cervelo, Pinarello, etc.

As well as any others in LBSs near you.

Get out and road test them, and decide which one you like the ride on best.

GH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioathlete View Post
    Although I do not have the experience needed to help you, I can point you to a similar thread that might help...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...es-351603.html
    Thank you for pointing me towards "Torn" looks like we have the quandray... A lot of good information.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
    Is the Diverge really a Road bike? I thought it was a Gravel / Adventure bike. The Roubaix would be more of a Road bike, if you have a Specialized dealer near you.

Giant - Propel
    Cervelo, Pinarello, etc.

GH
    Thanks. That's exactly what I did today. I took a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 for a test ride... Nice bike good feel and 30% off $3499 being a 2015. When I asked the lbs rep about the different brands in my price range he replied they would all be very comparable and good bikes.... "test ride them all and go with the best feel. I thought that was cool that he didn't try to push the brands he carries over others that i mentioned, Thanks again.

Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post

Giant - Propel
    Cervelo, Pinarello, etc.

GH
    Well, I own two of these bikes so I'll chime in. I've rode and raced on a Fuji Altamira for many years now. For me, the fit was spot on, as good as custom would have been, and that ends up the most important part. Otherwise, unless you are specifically looking for an aero road bike, it's hard to do better.

I also just recently purchased the Diverge Carbon X1 version. I can do the same fast group rides I do with the Altamira although I'm likely to be a few seconds slower on almost all terrain. Still, it's an awfully fast roller for an "all roads" bike, and wandering off onto single track and fire roads on a whim has been magical for me and has totally inspired me again on the bike.

So, of any of the bikes on this list, you are only going to go wrong if the geometry is wrong for your physique. Otherwise, just choose what bike sings to you most and is within your budget. And if going off-road a little bit is important to you, you will do just fine on the Diverge. It is by no means a slow roller and isn't going to slow you down much. It still feels fast.
    Last edited by The Human G-Nome; 12-07-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by The Human G-Nome View Post
    Well, I own two of these bikes so I'll chime in. I've rode and raced on a Fuji Altamira for many years now. For me, the fit was spot on, as good as custom would have been, and that ends up the most important part. Otherwise, unless you are specifically looking for an aero road bike, it's hard to do better.

I also just recently purchased the Diverge Carbon X1 version. I can do the same fast group rides I do with the Altamira although I'm likely to be a few seconds slower on almost all terrain. Still, it's an awfully fast roller for an "all roads" bike, and wandering off onto single track and fire roads on a whim has been magical for me and has totally inspired me again on the bike.

So, of any of the bikes on this list, you are only going to go wrong if the geometry is wrong for your physique. Otherwise, just choose what bike sings to you most and is within your budget. And if going off-road a little bit is important to you, you will do just fine on the Diverge. It is by no means a slow roller and isn't going to slow you down much. It still feels fast.
    Sound advice. Thank you. I'm going to test ride the Diverge this coming Sunday. If it moves me like before I'm going to call it a wrap and bring her home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinXO View Post
    Sound advice. Thank you. I'm going to test ride the Diverge this coming Sunday. If it moves me like before I'm going to call it a wrap and bring her home.
    If you like the Diverge, then also take a look at the other bikes in this article: Gravel Bike

GH