Is this Specialized Future Shock 500 hrs thing true? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Buy a couple of them if it ever starts getting hard to find them. Theyíre cheap.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    500 hours is a lot even for someone who rides a lot unless itís their only bike
    Define "a lot". Someone who rides 7,500 miles in a year at an average speed of 15mph will have done 500 hours of riding.

I ride 3000 miles per year and average around 14mph. 500 hours of riding is less than 2 1/2 years.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I saw that Specialized has formally announced a voluntary recall on the future shock. I have a new Diverge, and will take it in for new parts to be installed. Have not really rode it yet!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017

Question $330 for an FS Cartridge?!

I've ridden my '18 Roubaix for about 300hrs. and figured it might be a good idea to get a spare FS cartridge given that the 1.0 version is not what's used on the latest Roubaix (and who knows how long Specialized will have these available). However, unlike the $55 cost I originally read about (and the $55 and $125 reported earlier in this thread), my LBS quoted me $330 (which they said came directly from Specialized). Has anyone else recently attempted to buy one of these and what was the cost?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    The cartridge is fully serviceable (though if small parts are broken internally I'm unsure on the availability of those - so that's probably a situtation for a new cartridge). Here's the video for servicing. https://player.v[COLOR=#070706 !important]i[/COLOR]meo.com/v[COLOR=#070706 !important]i[/COLOR]deo/194424765

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenson View Post
    The cartridge is fully serviceable (though if small parts are broken internally I'm unsure on the availability of those - so that's probably a situtation for a new cartridge). Here's the video for servicing. https://player.v[COLOR=#070706 !important]i[/COLOR]meo.com/v[COLOR=#070706 !important]i[/COLOR]deo/194424765
    Thanks - will give it a try!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Specialized is a crap enginmaneering company! Having the public testing beta product and then do a recall. They've used this strategy with their forks.
    Another 5 years and these future shock bikes will have a zero resale value as no shock parts will be available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    The recall wasn't on the futureshock cartridge. It was on a small collar with a set screw. Has nothing to do with supposed beta testing. And they're using this cartridge on more and more bikes, so I don't see where having a fully serviceable cartridge and replacement cartridges available makes for a bike with no resale value. I mean, shimano changes their parts less than every 5 years and yet that doesn't negate the whole resale value. Or what about people who buy a full suspension bike? Suspension components are obsolete in most brands every 5 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    comparing parts availability between Spesh and Shim? Pfff. Look on ebay, it's littered with Shim parts, hell even DA 7400 parts could still be found if you're so inclined, that's 25 years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    maybe you should take your negativity elsewhere. The rest of us here were trying to solve a problem and answer questions regarding serviceability of bikes people already own and you're here just being debbie downer. Don't like it, then don't buy it. Simple. Others already bought it and would like to know how to service it to keep it working for a long time. Just like with suspension for mountain bikes. regular service prolongs the life of the part.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenson View Post
    Finally watched the video and saw that the re-build work involves an array of tools I don't have. Some of these I can probably make do without and some I can buy at a reasonable cost, though some seem to be one-off items only available from Specialized (and probably pricey). Of course Specialized won't sell these tools directly to me a "consumer" and my LBS might charge me more for them than the $350 they quoted me for a new cartridge...I might be wrong, I might be right but will have to see.

Has anyone tried this project and determined whether it can be done without needing any of the one-off tools from Specialized?

banned
    Mar 2019
    Has anyone had the courage to just come out and state the obvious?

That jiggly future shock is a silly gimmick thats just as stupid as the zigzag seat clamp, Zerts iso-vibulator and such; complete marketing nonsense.

Folks that bought are stuck with their poor judgment and need to stop defending it.
    Letís not encourage future foolishness from designers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post

That jiggly future shock is a silly gimmick thats just as stupid as the zigzag seat clamp, Zerts iso-vibulator and such; complete marketing nonsense.

Folks that bought are stuck with their poor judgment and need to stop defending it.
    how dare you bring such negativity, ms debbie downer!

lol those who know Specialized know this is the company that brought us that stupid leaky "brain" fork and shock some 10 years ago. Oil leaked so bad that if you use your bike 4-5 times/wk, then expect to send these items in 2-3 times/yr for a warranty rebuid, with each time taking weeks you're without your bike. After the warranty period, you eat the rebuild cost. Once the community caught wind of the problem, a lot of bikes equipped with the "brain" technology became almost worthless (well not worthless, but could be had for almost chump change compared to their original price)

banned
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    how dare you bring such negativity, ms debbie downer!

lol
    LOL
    Iím just in a fit today ... oh and donít get me started on the Holy of Holyís The most sacred,...yup you guessed it; Trekís ISO Decoupler.
    Or shall we say The Noodle-Izer .
    Oops.. youíre not allowed to talk about that , itís offensive and goes way Ēout of bounds ď of forum etiquette.
    Last edited by rudge66; 01-23-2020 at 03:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post

I love my Roubaix mainly because of what the FS1 technology does for the ride/handling quality (which was far superior to all other "Endurance" bikes I demo'd). I've not experienced any "real" issues with it, though I'll admit that its been difficult to get Specialized (and my LBS) to give me a clear idea of what service the shock will require, when it will be needed, whether I can rebuild it myself and, if not, how much will the LBS charge to do it, and why the LBS wants to charge me $350 for a spare cartridge (so I can replace it when the original one goes to hell). For me that's disconcerting but worth it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    For anyone needing an alternative = suspension stem, from Softride - from the '90s. Uses great springs, and works really well - Trust Me. Will sell for less than $200, with free shipping.

email me.

'the good stuff always comes back into fashion' :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12