The SpeedX Story - Long read, but interesting...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017

The SpeedX Story - Long read, but interesting...

Lots of interesting lessons to be learned here...

I remember vaguely the SpeedX kickstarter, and actually saw one of the original bikes being wheeled out of a bike shop after the owner was told they couldn't help him with the software/computer issues he was having.

This is a long read, but very interesting story from cyclingtips.com.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/06/what...ned-to-speedx/

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I'd forgotten about them...after I saw the initial reviews, I presumed they were done after slipping into obscurity.
    Last edited by Marc; 06-13-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    It would have been interesting to see what would have become of them had they not committed two very big mistakes....

1. The social media faux paux regarding the Tianamen Square thing (hard to believe that was an innocent mistake)
    2. Wasting so much of their investment capital by getting caught up in the BlueGoGo bike share debacle

They seemed like they might have been on their way to some success until those two things sank the ship, rather abruptly...

Next time you think about putting $4000 down on a kickstarter/indiegogo campaign, be sure to ask them if they have plans to spend all of your money on a filed bike share company.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    It would have been interesting to see what would have become of them had they not committed two very big mistakes....

1. The social media faux paux regarding the Tianamen Square thing (hard to believe that was an innocent mistake)
    2. Wasting so much of their investment capital by getting caught up in the BlueGoGo bike share debacle

They seemed like they might have been on their way to some success until those two things sank the ship, rather abruptly...

Next time you think about putting $4000 down on a kickstarter/indiegogo campaign, be sure to ask them if they have plans to spend all of your money on a filed bike share company.
    It amazes me that Kickstarter keeps their cut of the funds...even when a very-high-profile company on their platform goes completely bust with hundreds of thousands of dollars evaporated out of donors bank accounts.

I know you take your chances with that crap, and I make it a point never to. But it seems the very least they could do for people would be to cough up and refund their cut. Even getting $400 back out of $4,000 is better than 0.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Just checked and Griftstarter is a thing on Google.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pretty avid cyclist here, had never heard of this company before that article. Also, count me in the camp of folks who would never fork over that kind of money in such a way. If you want a nice bike that badly and lack the funds, used is the route to go in my opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A neighbor of mine had one those bikes for a very short time. He rode it on a couple of group rides and bragged about great it was... a few weeks later had computer issues that couldn't be fixed and returned the dam thing, I guess it wasn't as great as he thought
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT