Splattered by road kill.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Smile Splattered by road kill.

I just got back from an easy going ride this afternoon and within the last 8 miles or so I had a very patient HGV driver sat behind me. He stayed behind me for what felt like 5 minutes or more, not wanting to dangerously overtake, or least thats what i would like to think.

I know the road up ahead very well so pushed a little harder to get to a point that i knew would be safe for him to go by. I just went over the brow of the hill and i heard him hit the gas. "Here he comes i think" and put my hand up in recognition of his patience. Im now starting to think that the dead fox in the middle of the road might get clipped and that there was going to be quite a squelch............There was, and yours truly got fresh road kill blood all down one side of his shorts, jersey and face. Now this doesnt happen often, but, thats one occassion i would have like a driver to have been less patient and overtaken earlier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Similar story from my brother-in-law.

He rode a Miyata for many years in a pretty flat part of Michigan. On vacation he found himself flying down a long grade when speed wobble hit. He didn't know what to do to stop it and was trying to hold the bike in line when he saw a recently dead, bloated raccoon in his path. He was scared to try steering around it and nailed it with both wheels. The raccoon kind of exploded. He didn't get much on him and the speed wobble stopped. He got a new bike anyway.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

confirmed masher
    I'm always afraid of hitting those dead animals... Usually I can avoid them. I've noticed that a lot aren't newly dead, so they're very flat... still smells a load though. The worst are the ones that are cut in pieces... and all over the place. They stink.

So do the City government people clean them off the roads? I've always wondered.

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGear
    I'm always afraid of hitting those dead animals... Usually I can avoid them. I've noticed that a lot aren't newly dead, so they're very flat... still smells a load though. The worst are the ones that are cut in pieces... and all over the place. They stink.

So do the City government people clean them off the roads? I've always wondered.
    Yes. There is a show called "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel, and one of the things the host did was ride with a "Road Kill Crew." Pretty nasty way to make a living if you ask me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Similar story...

Years ago, I was out on a long ride (about 120 miles) and was coming over the top of a long climb when a vehicle passed and hit road kill near the center line. Not fresh-fresh, but not pancaked either. Rather this road kill was day-old bloated and ripe. Nearly puked right there with the smell all over me. Fortunately, I had on those old Oakley factory pilot glasses (see Andy Hampsten) that covered most of my face and I had water and a bandana to clean off (I chucked the bandana afterwards). But with a couple of hours still to ride it was the worst experience I've ever had on a bike. Fortunately the long, long hot shower got the smell off me and the apparel cleaned up well too. Twenty years later I still remember the smell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Saw a similiar event. Cyclist coming from opposite direction, farm dog runs out after him, dog misjudges attack angle, slides into traffic and gets clobbered by a rock quarry dump truck at about 45mph. Small amount of blood splatter on cyclists left side. Gruesome. I had to turn around and head home after losing desire to ride...never want to see an animal killed that way again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    .[.There was, and yours truly got fresh road kill blood all down one side of his shorts, jersey and face. ]Now this doesnt happen often, but, thats one occassion i would have like a driver to have been less patient and overtaken earlier.

Look at the bright side. If the UCI hauls you in for blood test, you have a perfect Tyler-esque excuse for a positive test.