A sprinter using EPO?
    RoadBikeReview Member

A sprinter using EPO?

I just glanced at this article on ESPN and was surprised that a sprinter would use an endurance enhancing drug like EPO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1804357

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by giovanni sartori
    I just glanced at this article on ESPN and was surprised that a sprinter would use an endurance enhancing drug like EPO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1804357
    Why? EPO use enables you to train harder, longer, and more often. Your recovery time goes to practically zero.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by collinsc
    EPO use enables you to train harder, longer, and more often. Your recovery time goes to practically zero.
    No, it doesn't. Those are the benefits of steroids--not EPO. EPO will increase your aerobic capacity, allowing you to maintain the same workload at a lower percentage of your VO2 max than when not using EPO. For a purely anaerobic effor, like a 100 or 200 meter sprint, the benefits of EPO are not clear.

banned
    Apr 2004

Question EPO? For a sprinter? Why?

Why? What's the point? Maybe I'm missing something here, but EPO is going to increase red bood cells, good for aerobic and endurance type stuff. So, why would a sprinter use EPO?

Overequipped, underlegged
    To get fresh to the sprint. If u are using epo u wont be as tired when the time to sprint comes. I assume there is not such thing as a 200 meter bike race?
    Any day is a good day to take care of one of your vehicles!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    To get fresh to the sprint. If u are using epo u wont be as tired when the time to sprint comes. I assume there is not such thing as a 200 meter bike race?
    Sounds like she is a runner not a cyclist. And I would guess even the 200m running race contains a significant aerobic component and therefore could benefit from EPO. And yes on the track, there are 200 meter bike races, which are probably so short EPO use wouldn't be much use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah CragHopper
    No, it doesn't. Those are the benefits of steroids--not EPO. EPO will increase your aerobic capacity, allowing you to maintain the same workload at a lower percentage of your VO2 max than when not using EPO. For a purely anaerobic effor, like a 100 or 200 meter sprint, the benefits of EPO are not clear.
    There is no such thing as a purely anaerobic effort. As soon as you start moving the oxidative energy producing mechanism of the muscle cells began to ramp up from their low levels of rest. While it may be true that over the 10 seconds of a 100m sprint, even the 20-25 seconds of a 200m sprint that the majority of the energy supplied is from immediate energy stores and glycolysis (i.e. anaerobic) there is nonetheless oxidative energy being produced (increasingly so as the time increases) and thus contributing to the work capacity of the muscle. I've seen the time for the switch point when oxidative energy contribution becomes greater than anaerobic energy contribution to the total energy provided during a maximal effort, and it is relatively short. I want to say on the order of 1 to 2 minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwaynebarry
    Sounds like she is a runner not a cyclist. And I would guess even the 200m running race contains a significant aerobic component and therefore could benefit from EPO. And yes on the track, there are 200 meter bike races, which are probably so short EPO use wouldn't be much use.
    I'd have to agree with you. 75 seconds into an all-out effort is around where most energy is aerobic. Prior to that, it'll be <50% but it's not a non-trivial amount.

Imagine a rider who sprints at 1000W and has a VO2max of 300W. He takes EPO and his new VO2max is 350W. I'd expect him to be sprinting around 1050W. At high levels of competition, every little bit counts.

banned
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    I'd have to agree with you. 75 seconds into an all-out effort is around where most energy is aerobic. Prior to that, it'll be <50% but it's not a non-trivial amount.

Yeah, but she's a track sprinter (running). And a 200m race is, what, 20 seconds total?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    Yeah, but she's a track sprinter (running). And a 200m race is, what, 20 seconds total?
    If the doping revelations of cyclists reveal nothing else, it's that dopers are usually willing to take most anything if they think or they've been told it will do something for them (i.e. Pot Belge for instance). Plus, maybe taking EPO does help you recover from workouts, etc. or train at higher intensity. It should certainly improve recovery times between high intensity efforts, or allow for more recovery over a given period of time, since recovery from high intensity efforts is an aerobic process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    Her 200 m PR is 22.05. So the aerobic contribution might only be 20-30% which is significant in a sport where hundredths of a second can make a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    One thing the Manzano episode has illustrated is that based on current research much of the doping is useless if not counterproductive (like using corticosteroids in a 3 week event where muscle wasting is already a serious problem)..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by terzo rene
    One thing the Manzano episode has illustrated is that based on current research much of the doping is useless if not counterproductive (like using corticosteroids in a 3 week event where muscle wasting is already a serious problem)..
    I think the idea behind using kenacort, etc., especially for single day races or maybe on a particularly hard stage in grand tour is that the corticosteroids up the use of protein for energy production and therefore spare the limited glycogen stores, since depletion of glycogen will certainly affect your power output. Plus you can always take the anabolic steroids to replace the muscle mass :-)