Stack/reach question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Stack/reach question

I am looking at a new bike. Lately I have been getting some niggles in my neck from my position. I could change my position slightly, but would like a touch more upright in my new ride.

The current front-runner is 11mm higher in stack than my current ride. Is this significant? So, if I had all the spacers set up on both bikes (or no spacers), would that 11mm be felt?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Depends. Some people will feel it for sure, some not. You? Who knows?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Enough to potentially alleviate neck issues? I get that everyone is different, but I don't want to make a tiny change nor make giant change. Would a 1cm change be about right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019
    They sell spacers as small as 3mm so to some people 11mm would be a very big change.

The obvious answer would be to move the spacers on your current bike and see if it's noticeable but as it's only a couple of minutes work at most I assumethe steerer's been cut so you can't?

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    And to ad to suicidal's comment, if the is no more room for spacers then maybe flip your stem to get more height. Also, maybe get a bike fit to see if anything else could be adjusted. It'll be a lot cheaper than buying a new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by billiegoat View Post
    I am looking at a new bike. Lately I have been getting some niggles in my neck from my position. I could change my position slightly, but would like a touch more upright in my new ride.

The current front-runner is 11mm higher in stack than my current ride. Is this significant? So, if I had all the spacers set up on both bikes (or no spacers), would that 11mm be felt?
    In addition to all the comments about the effect of a change, consider doing some exercises to strengthen your neck and improve flexibility. That may be all that's needed to sort yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I have had a pro fit, BUT I changed it a bit. The fitter put me on a + angle stem minus a few spacers, but over time, slowly, I flipped the stem to a - angle (looks better to boot) and added some spacers (all of them, so no more room), so the net change was not all that big. Further, I have not been riding as much as I was, so maybe the exercises/stretches might be the ticket.

Thanks for the replies!

[REDACTED]
    If the only reason you want a new bike is to get a more upright position, change to a more upright stem and tilt your bars up slightly. You can get a good 35 degree stem for $30:

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...SABEgLMOvD_BwE

And here's a 30 degree stem for $40:

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...m-333850-1.htm

I have bulging disks in my neck and couldn't ride without one of these.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein