Stack/reach question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Stack/reach question

Looking at a new bike and am having paralysis by analysis. So, with regard to stack and reach....

1) In comparing two frames, is it as simple as comparing the stack and reach to determine which will fit best?

2) if Bike A has a stack/reach of 580/403 and Bike B has stack/reach of 605/396. If A has a headset cap of 15mm and 25mm of spacers, and B has headset cap of 5mm and 10mm of spacers, are those basically the same?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Stack is basically the same. Reach is still obviously different but can be adjusted w/ stem length.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billiegoat View Post
    Looking at a new bike and am having paralysis by analysis. So, with regard to stack and reach....

1) In comparing two frames, is it as simple as comparing the stack and reach to determine which will fit best?

2) if Bike A has a stack/reach of 580/403 and Bike B has stack/reach of 605/396. If A has a headset cap of 15mm and 25mm of spacers, and B has headset cap of 5mm and 10mm of spacers, are those basically the same?
    Keep in mind the reach is to the steerer, your effective reach to the hoods will comprise of the handlebar and sram/shimano shifter combo. If you are comparing bikes between brands, keep handlebar reach/drop specifications in mind.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Right.

I just wanted to make sure that A with all the spacers is basically the same as B slammed.

Reach can be adjusted with a longer stem, in this case, one that is 10ish mm longer.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    You can't change the actual 'reach' number. The head tube tube and bottom bracket are fixed. You can change your fit with a longer stem, setback seatpost, etc..., but there are potentially consequences.

You need to understand that by lengthening or shortening the stem you are potentially changing the handling of the bike, and your weight distribution on it. There is a reasonable range you can use to compensate, but going to extremes in either direction isn't generally a good idea. Same thing applies to the seatpost.

There are also other factors to consider. Reach is measured from the bottom bracket forward to the top of the steerer tube. Head tube angle and seat tube angle will also affect your position on the bike (as well as handling).

Judging by the numbers you provided, the two bikes are *very* different. One seems to be a very slack, high stack endurance style bike, and the other likely a more aggressive race bike. You can change the stem, bars, seat and seatpost to adjust your sitting position, but this won't change the general way the bike handles. Wheelbase, chainstay lengh, tube angles, fork rake, your body weight over the the wheels, etc... will all effect how the bike handles.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    ^True^ but the reach is only 7mm different.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ^True^ but the reach is only 7mm different.
    Yup, I guess the point I was trying to make is that if one bike has endurance geometry and the other race geometry, (unless your only goal is for the bike to fit) there is more to it than just putting on a longer or shorter stem.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    You can't change the actual 'reach' number. The head tube tube and bottom bracket are fixed. You can change your fit with a longer stem, setback seatpost, etc..., but there are potentially consequences.

You need to understand that by lengthening or shortening the stem you are potentially changing the handling of the bike........
    From my own experience, this is more of a mole hill than a mountain. But then again, that's probably dependent on the type of rider you are. I'm a strong hill climber, but I'm not a racer-hammerhead type.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein