Steer clear of Ciamillo products...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

Steer clear of Ciamillo products...

• Purchased a set of GSL Micro brakes online from this guy's website, and waited, waited, and waited for them. I had to call him three times to find out what was going on with the order. He assured me each time that they'd be shipped out. They weren't. It was only when I was ready to ask for a refund that he shipped them out. I received them about six weeks after I ordered them.

So I installed the things and found that I had lost the thicker washers that position the pads closer to the rim. I called Ciamillo and he promised to send me a new set (I offered to pay for them). Two weeks passed. No spacers. I contacted him (with difficulty). Got another assurance from him that he'd send them out. Another two weeks passed and still no spacers. He simply doesn't return calls, nor does he respond to emails (and trust me, I didn't harass him). So now, six weeks after I asked for the washers, these brakes (which cost me $300) are essentially paperweights. I don't think there are other suitable replacement spacers to fit them.

The brakes seem nice enough and Mr. Ciamillo talks a good game, but where the rubber hits the road he is as unreliable and unprofessional as can be. It seems to me that he has no interest in supporting his product once it's out the door. It's also quite clear to me that he is simply incapable of doing so even if he had an interest.

Just giving you folks the heads up. If you're looking for a light pair of brakes, look elsewhere and save yourself the headache.

Re-Cyclist
    I didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling from my few interactions with them. And the brake set never felt totally reliable in action. I went over to TRP and all is very well now.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

I love to climb!
    Not to dismiss your frustrations with ciamillo's service, but looking at the product's info it appears it doesn't use washers to position the pad closer to the rim? Isnt that why there is the cam feature?
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    • Purchased a set of GSL Micro brakes online from this guy's website, and waited, waited, and waited for them. I had to call him three times to find out what was going on with the order. He assured me each time that they'd be shipped out. They weren't. It was only when I was ready to ask for a refund that he shipped them out. I received them about six weeks after I ordered them.

So I installed the things and found that I had lost the thicker washers that position the pads closer to the rim. I called Ciamillo and he promised to send me a new set (I offered to pay for them). Two weeks passed. No spacers. I contacted him (with difficulty). Got another assurance from him that he'd send them out. Another two weeks passed and still no spacers. He simply doesn't return calls, nor does he respond to emails (and trust me, I didn't harass him). So now, six weeks after I asked for the washers, these brakes (which cost me $300) are essentially paperweights. I don't think there are other suitable replacement spacers to fit them.

The brakes seem nice enough and Mr. Ciamillo talks a good game, but where the rubber hits the road he is as unreliable and unprofessional as can be. It seems to me that he has no interest in supporting his product once it's out the door. It's also quite clear to me that he is simply incapable of doing so even if he had an interest.

Just giving you folks the heads up. If you're looking for a light pair of brakes, look elsewhere and save yourself the headache.
    My suggestion is to order Ciamillo products through a stocking dealer. If you need a set of micro cams for your GSL's please do not hesitate to contact me and I will take care of you. I may have a spare set of washers as well, but honestly the Micro Cam solution is better used on the GSL and I'd be happy to give them to you at my cost, plus shipping of course. Cheers.

carbonLORD.com
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    My suggestion is to order Ciamillo products through a stocking dealer. If you need a set of micro cams for your GSL's please do not hesitate to contact me and I will take care of you. I may have a spare set of washers as well, but honestly the Micro Cam solution is better used on the GSL and I'd be happy to give them

to you at my cost, plus shipping of course. Cheers.

carbonLORD.com

I would love to take you up on that offer. How should I contact you? I'd be happy to pay you for them.

As for the cam, I have them closed all the way. I definitely need to use the thicker spherical washers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The micro cam would let you dial them in even closer. Just shoot me a PM or email me and I'll help you out.

Cheers!

cL
    carbonLORD.com

Get me to In&Out
    I will disagree with the original poster. I have run his products since 2005. Actually the same set of Zero Gravity brakes since then. I would venture to say the brakes have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles on them and have never needed anything but pads. Most reliable product I have ever used on a bike. Certainly the highest mileage component I have ever used.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Get me to In&Out
    Just noticed he doesn't carry ZG brakes any more. Does he still do the tuneup on the parts? I know it used to include re-anodized parts and new springs. Guess I will have to call him and find out.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    Just noticed he doesn't carry ZG brakes any more. Does he still do the tuneup on the parts? I know it used to include re-anodized parts and new springs. Guess I will have to call him and find out.
    Good luck getting in touch with him. The guy is a derelict. And if you do manage to reach him, he'll talk like he's interested in seeing you happy, but you'll never get the parts you want. He's incredibly unreliable and unprofessional.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    I will disagree with the original poster. I have run his products since 2005. Actually the same set of Zero Gravity brakes since then. I would venture to say the brakes have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles on them and have never needed anything but pads. Most reliable product I have ever used on a bike. Certainly the highest mileage component I have ever used.
    Dude, these are rim brakes. Basically, cable-operated clamps. They're not super-computers or jet engines. Any moron can make rim brakes that work reliably.

Ted Ciamillo has simply made them much lighter than Shimano has. Despite this, I will say that the action on Shimano Dura-Ace brakes is markedly smoother than Ciamillo's, whose actuation involves metal surfaces sliding against each other (which results in more resistance than than movement based on rotation via bearings).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I should've done my research before ordering parts from his website. He does not respond to emails and when calling him, his mailbox is full. I can't even leave a message for him. Am I screwed?

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo...
    Dude, these are rim brakes. Basically, cable-operated clamps. They're not super-computers or jet engines. Any moron can make rim brakes that work reliably...
    Precisely the reason why I'm as happy as Larry with my $25 jobbies.

They do the one and only thing I personally care about as far as brakes are concerned. Plus not only have they never disappointed me where it counts they were delivered all the way from China in less than 10 days. SCORE!

Chalk yet another one up for our team ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I love my Shimano 105 brakes :P

But doing some research on this guy is to beware of him. One person on Weight Weenies had a crank from him, the left crank was threaded wrong way so you can't install left pedal on it. And dude never refunded or responded to that mistake.

Others report getting fake tracking numbers and never receiving product. Eh...

Multiple people describe his behavior as being legendary, well known for this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Thumbs down Wished I had done my homework.

I'm bringing up an old thread as I feel people should know and stay on top of search results.

I have a pair of his ZG Ti for many years. No issues. So without really looking around the web to check for issues, I ordered his latest set the micro's.

It's been 11 weeks plus. Was given a USPS tracking number and for 4 weeks never went active.

I was just told by Ted a couple of days ago that my brakes were returned to him as undeliverable and he wants to confirm my address. ????? WTF ????? Is he stalling????

At this point I'm no longer happy and I don't care about getting his brakes. I just want a refund. Anyone else played his game and got what was ordered or a refund?

PayPal also sucks in this respect. Charge back by credit card is my last option.

Lemonsquare

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'm still trying to figure out what is so special about these brakes? Dura Ace everyday and twice on sunday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You are correct. Shame on me for wanting something different.

Depending on what happens, it's my last set ever from Ciamilo if I get them. Hopefully it's a refund. There are other options for light brake sets, I should have looked around. Or hell, just stick with what came with the groupset I bought. I was lulled as I had a good experience buying the ZG Ti way back in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what is so special about these brakes? Dura Ace everyday and twice on sunday.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Sorry you're having the issues. In response to the other post, people like these types of brakes because they are incredibly light, and look pretty slick. I had a set of Zero G's for years that came on a used bike I bought. Other than the lack of a centering screw which made it kind of annoying for brake adjustment, they're great, good modulation and stopping power. I recently had to ditch them since they won't work with my wide Zipp 303's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonsquare View Post
    I'm bringing up an old thread as I feel people should know and stay on top of search results.

I have a pair of his ZG Ti for many years. No issues. So without really looking around the web to check for issues, I ordered his latest set the micro's.

It's been 11 weeks plus. Was given a USPS tracking number and for 4 weeks never went active.

I was just told by Ted a couple of days ago that my brakes were returned to him as undeliverable and he wants to confirm my address. ????? WTF ????? Is he stalling????

At this point I'm no longer happy and I don't care about getting his brakes. I just want a refund. Anyone else played his game and got what was ordered or a refund?

PayPal also sucks in this respect. Charge back by credit card is my last option.

Lemonsquare
    Go to weightweenies forum, it's been discussed extensively.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I am building a new bike and have decided on Zipp 606. 404 front and 808 in the back. Anyway I wanted to transfer the old ZG Ti, but they didn't like the wider rims. That's when I started looking.

The good news. Brakes are finally on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Sorry you're having the issues. In response to the other post, people like these types of brakes because they are incredibly light, and look pretty slick. I had a set of Zero G's for years that came on a used bike I bought. Other than the lack of a centering screw which made it kind of annoying for brake adjustment, they're great, good modulation and stopping power. I recently had to ditch them since they won't work with my wide Zipp 303's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    had the negative Ti's, upgraded them to the new micro cam, it was an improvement, but.... I felt the need for better modulation. The return springs are a huge weakpoint with the ciamillo caliper design, but, I was determined to keep them on the bike....
    Until, I got an awesome deal on some TRP 970SL's.... sold the ciamillos, and I'm happy.