Strangest thing you've found while working on your bike?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ari

Jan 2005

Question Strangest thing you've found while working on your bike?

I was just removing my saddle when I found this: apparently, some confused bee tried to sting my K-Force Light seatpost. So, what's the strangest thing you've found while working on your bike?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My saddle weighs more than your honors student.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Right after Christmas, I bought a pretty nice used bike from my LBS to use as a commuter. It's a Panasonic Sport 1000, with Tange DB tubing & Shimano running gear. I'm guessing it's from the late 70's - 80's. It looked like it had very little use. Some guy brought in in for new tires 18 mo. ago, & never came back. I scored it for $40.00.

As I was going through the bike, tuning, rebuilding, etc. I took apart the rear axle to inspect & re-grease. I found 8 bearings on one side, but only 5 on the other.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Working in a shop too many years ago I was overhauling the BB on some cheap 10speed and I found a headset stuffed in the BB along with the bottom bracket stuff.

That one put a smile on my face for a week.

Dave

Jan 2004

Bird's nest in my handlebar bag; no eggs.

My wife got me a Rivendell Hobo Bag for Valentines Day a couple of years ago (great bag, by the way). I told her I was going to be riding a lot, training hard and I needed to be able to carry snacks and a jacket... I put it on the bike and left it outdoors but protected from the weather. For the next four or five weeks I rode only at work, where I keep a beater. When I got back to the main bike in early late March, there was a complete birds nest in the open bag. Didn't look like it had ever been used--no poop, no shell fragments--so I lifted it out carefully and took it over to the science teacher at the elementary school down the street.
    In the non-bike category, about the time I started working for the Reno paper, my wife and I bought an old house to "restore" (coming along fine--we're half done after 26 years...). When I cut open a wall to make an alcove for the refrigerator, I found a complete, yellowed but intact June 1903 copy of the same paper. Apparently it was common in those days to lay newspapers inside the walls to block wind, because my 80-something neighbor wasn't surprised
    Last edited by Cory; 02-26-2006 at 05:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003
    While unpacking a new bike that happened to be built in China, I discovered a complete kitchen faucet assembly.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by ari
    I was just removing my saddle when I found this: apparently, some confused bee tried to sting my K-Force Light seatpost. So, what's the strangest thing you've found while working on your bike?
    A bunch of really scary looking cracks in the clear coat on a carbon fork that turned out to be wind-dried Strawberry PowerGel.

Tommasini

I didn't find this but heard all about it.......

Friends of mine at a bike shop more than 20 yrs ago were putting up with a highly pushy and unreasonable customer....something about squeaks which he thought were coming out of the BB area (don't we have that still today??) anyways finally the two of them cracked....which led them to stuff a sandwich (don't remember which kind) meat, bread, everything into the BB area and they closed it up.

The customer never came back to complain about the BB again.....Can't say first hand if this is something that might help your random and hard to find transient noises but who knows????
    Last edited by Tommasini; 02-26-2006 at 07:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    12 hours after a ride, I found a butterfly with a 4" wingspan wound around the pulleys on my rear derailleur and scraping on the chain. Every peddle stroke, he took about 20 chain links to the face, and who knows how many miles into the 45 mile ride he got caught. I had no idea what this mess of yellow and black was when I first found it so I poked it...and it moved. Body severed in 3 peices, wings all but ripped off...and still kickin it.

You go butterfly.

-Danimal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    OMG, that's going to have me smiling for a week!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirk
    Working in a shop too many years ago I was overhauling the BB on some cheap 10speed and I found a headset stuffed in the BB along with the bottom bracket stuff.

That one put a smile on my face for a week.

Dave

Island Hopping cyclist
    I was unpacking a new Chinese made bike at work and found someone's wallet from China. Nothing was in English or any other Western language. I called the Chinese Embassy about it, and they asked me to mail it to them.

Jan 2003
    I was overhauling a bike that I bought on ebay and found a corn kernel in the chainstay. Still haven't come up rational explanation for that.

RoadBikeReview Member

Sounds like a practical joke to me...

Quote Originally Posted by chaduardo
    I was overhauling a bike that I bought on ebay and found a corn kernel in the chainstay. Still haven't come up rational explanation for that.

I'm guessing his "buddies" dropped the corn kernel into his frame figuring he'd go nuts trying to figure out what was causing the clicking sound he heard on bumpy roads.

The poor guy probably sold the frame on ebay because he couldn't stand the noise and just wanted to get rid of the thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Not my bike, but I was in the local shop one day a few years back chatting with the mechanic. He pulled the seatpost out of this bike and found a neatly tucked away ziplock baggie of weed. "Dope" comes to mind for a couple of reasons! Oh yeah, this was in North Vancouver, so probably not all that uncommon!

Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris T
    Not my bike, but I was in the local shop one day a few years back chatting with the mechanic. He pulled the seatpost out of this bike and found a neatly tucked away ziplock baggie of weed. "Dope" comes to mind for a couple of reasons! Oh yeah, this was in North Vancouver, so probably not all that uncommon!

Chris
    Bonus!

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few years ago, did a 3 hour road race that included torrential rains for all but the last 1 km. I think it was 5 inches of rainfall during the race, coming down so hard I had no idea on distance because it was impossible to read the computer on my handlebar. After the race I threw the bike in the car and didn't look at it until the next morning. When I went to clean the frame, I noticed a 5 inch segment of what I believe to be oppossum large intestine stuck to the underside of the down tube. There were several crashes in the race, however the organ looked too small to belong to any of the competitors.

Apr 2005
    I chill at a local alternative bike shop where anyone can come in and work on their bike. One time a bunch of guys I know came in, and one of them was being a bit of a jackass. So his friends distracted him, took his bike, and stuffed a dead mouse in the BB shell, and reassembled the BB. Left it a little loose on purpose. Had him redo his BB. bit of a nasty shock. Funny as hell though. And then there's this.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I don't care, I don't care, I don't care, I don't care, care, care if it's old."
    -Kurt Cobain, in Breed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Happiness?

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the seamus
    Happiness?
    Happens all the time. I don't think that qualifies as strange. But it was a good answer nonetheless.
    "I don't care, I don't care, I don't care, I don't care, care, care if it's old."
    -Kurt Cobain, in Breed

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbikesrock
    I chill at a local alternative bike shop where anyone can come in and work on their bike. One time a bunch of guys I know came in, and one of them was being a bit of a jackass. So his friends distracted him, took his bike, and stuffed a dead mouse in the BB shell, and reassembled the BB. Left it a little loose on purpose. Had him redo his BB. bit of a nasty shock. Funny as hell though. And then there's this.....
    is that a Stingray?

remodeling...me
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    In the non-bike category, about the time I started working for the Reno paper, my wife and I bought an old house to "restore" (coming along fine--we're half done after 26 years...). When I cut open a wall to make an alcove for the refrigerator, I found a complete, yellowed but intact June 1903 copy of the same paper. Apparently it was common in those days to lay newspapers inside the walls to block wind, because my 80-something neighbor wasn't surprised
    As you noted this is not uncommon; cyclist and motorcyclists were not the first to note the insulating properties of newspaper. It's common to find them behind walls and under old linoleum (sp?). It's fun because you can date the year any work was done. We've found pocket knives, medicine bottles, beer cans etc in walls. My brother found some doll's, an interesting wire hangar, photo's, and coins to while renovating his house.

I bought a used bike last spring and it came with a full seatbag. In the bag was a Park multi tool, tire levers, and a tire kit. In the tire kit was a $1.25. I assume the coin was for the phone and the $1 for the tires. Was nice though.
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

RoadBikeReview Member

As Paul Sherwen would say, " That could cause a real sting in the tail."

Sep 2004
    Dead bees are nothing. I found a nest of live earwigs inside a brake lever body of a bike I was working on! The suckers just kept falling out onto the floor. I hate earwigs!

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Friction_Shifter
    is that a Stingray?
    Not sure.
    -Kurt Cobain, in Breed

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Not sure.
    No, it's not.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Friction_Shifter
    is that a Stingray?
    looks like a Heavy Duty to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast