Strava changes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strava changes

RoadBikeReview Member

Strava changes

Strava just announced some pretty big changes, mostly not for the better.

Most notably, non-paying users can only see the top ten of the leaderboards, leaderboards are removed from third-party apps and non-paying users can't use the web route builder.

I don't Strava but probably half of the people that I ride with do.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/...Fh_2A3hQCTorI0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I rode the canyon on sunday, my strava got flagged, I was doing 249mph! I ain't ly'in!

If you don't pay, you get what you get.
    BANNED

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I pay so I can see how I stack up against the other fogies in my area.
    I like the new ‘weather’ tracker, you can gauge your times with wind speeds factored in (kinda).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Using a model that leveraged advertising might have been a better move to retain users, but time will tell. It will be interesting to see the details of the analysis and costs vs their current Premium/Summit subscription, right now I couldn't find anything really specific.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm surprised it took them this long. There was little incentive for people to pay for it. I never understood how they remained. Apparently by the skin of their teeth.

In a conference call last week, Strava was point-blank clear that if they don’t get more subscribers and become profitable, there’s a pretty good chance there won’t be a Strava in a year.
    Perhaps if they get more subscribers they can lower the cost.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I use Strava to track my miles, post photos, and share my ride info with friends. I can do pretty much the same with RideWithGPS. I'm not fast enough to be concerned with the leaderboards. But I do have Strava linked to Relive, and I like making those cool little videos. And I like to check the flybys to see who I might have passed on the road. I hope those features remain free, but I would be willing to pay a small fee to maintain them.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Using a model that leveraged advertising might have been a better move to retain users, but time will tell. It will be interesting to see the details of the analysis and costs vs their current Premium/Summit subscription, right now I couldn't find anything really specific.
    The article said they are not turning a profit. Its not expensive but now is maybe not the best time to try to force new pay subscriptions. I dont use Strava enough to pay for it and I already have too many subscription services.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    But I do have Strava linked to Relive, and I like making those cool little videos.
    Strava ended that a year ago
    https://www.relive.cc/strava
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The article said they are not turning a profit. Its not expensive but now is maybe not the best time to try to force new pay subscriptions. I dont use Strava enough to pay for it and I already have too many subscription services.

TBH, paying for Strava never netted you anything of worth over the freebie anyway. I only paid for a year or two because I try to support things I use...After Strava became Facebook-for-Bikes with incessant emails and notifications about crap I didn't want, I quit paying. And given how they're bent on adding crap no one wants--and haven't added any data analysis tools in years, I'm done. Years and years--still their cadence analysis is crap, and Di2 gears data isn't even available.

I've been debating quitting using Strava entirely and going somewhere else with my rides for a while...
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Strava ended that a year ago
    https://www.relive.cc/strava
    They did? I can still create a Relive video of my rides. I must have it linked to RideWithGPS, which I run as a backup to Strava. I set it up so long ago I forgot how I had it linked to my rides.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Russian Troll Farmer
    I use Strava ONLY to track my miles. I don't care a rat's @$$ about 'leaderboards', or whether my speed between 2 random spots was my 3rd best. Videos and pictures? Who cares!.

What I HAVE noticed about Strava lately is that it keeps failing me. Firstly, since the update, EVERY time I open the app, it tells me that Strava has recovered itself, then I go to a screen on the phone about app connections to my GPS. This takes extra time, every_single_time I use it. Then, about every 3rd usage, it fails to sync my ride fully, usually dropping some or most of my ride, leaving just a 1-way portion to sync.

I never saw any need for paying for the extra 'bells and whistles', but I see even less reason to upgrade on an app which fails in it's core job. Looking for a replacement now, actually.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I never saw any need for paying for the extra 'bells and whistles', but I see even less reason to upgrade on an app which fails in it's core job. Looking for a replacement now, actually.
    RWGPS does everything Strava does without the social fluff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I guess I'm differente again, I like Strava. I hope I get all your KOM's, I'm still look'in! I'll stop when I'm dead.

What I don't understand is why is everyone trying to run everything on everything else, with every product updating all the time, there is just too much handshaking. Just use one and what is the problem.
    BANNED

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

I've been debating quitting using Strava entirely and going somewhere else with my rides for a while...
    Where? (of course I know of some sites, here is my actual question). Is there a site like Strava that allows you to plan your OWN GODDAMNABLE training plan? Every site I go to has cookie cutter plans. I don't need your bland plan, I have my own plan or I would like to input a third party plan from a coach etc.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am a Strava user, I was a fairly early adopter (early 2010) I like to look back and compare myself to myself. At this point if I can make it into my own top 10 I am doing really well.

It would be too bad if they flame out but I'm sure that something else would take it's place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I've been a Strava user for a long time, and a paying customer for several years. They aren't perfect, but in general I like them and $60 a year for something I appreciate is very reasonable imo.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    RWGPS does everything Strava does without the social fluff.
    Sorry, but I'm not looking for a 'ride planning' app. I always know where I am, and I also like making changes on the spur of the moment, like finding that 1 road has just been chip-sealed, or taking a more protected road to avoid a brutal headwind.

But, it seems Strava is deliberately preventing non-payers from synching. It's happened the last 4 rides for me. I have no need for all the 'bells and whistles' that a full paid account has, and they don't offer any sort of 'lite' paid version. So, goodbye Strava!

I deleted it from my phone, and installed MapMyRide. Been using it for a couple of days, and it works as well as Strava USED to, so I'm happy. I fully expect Strava's recent decisions to backfire, and to see them fail in a year or 2.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I just don't get the hostility. If you don't want it, move on. You're mad cause it's not free any more?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Strava changes

It's worth noting that it was never "free". No app where you give up data and has a privacy notice is "free".

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Where? (of course I know of some sites, here is my actual question). Is there a site like Strava that allows you to plan your OWN GODDAMNABLE training plan? Every site I go to has cookie cutter plans. I don't need your bland plan, I have my own plan or I would like to input a third party plan from a coach etc.
    I'm giving TrainingPeaks a go...It appears to allow what you want, and has a free 14-day trial ATM; I'm guessing you already tried it?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Best you can do now on strava is hit the fly by feature, click on a name of someone who rode by you and look at their segments (click on a segment) to compare your best times.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not looking for a 'ride planning' app.
    You can record your rides with the RWGPS app just like Strava or Mapmyride.

Mapmyride is a 'ride planning' app just as RWGPS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'm a free Strava user, and I use Strava in these order of importance:
    1. track my rides
    2. track my own PR's
    3. track my friends' PR's (yeah, I'm a little competitive)

With the new changes in Strava, I can't track my friends' PRs anymore. Does it suck for me? Yeah it's a little sucky, but it's not enough reason for me to stop using Strava all together and look for another "free" site that may end up being not free in the future.

Most of you in here who rail against the changes Strava has made don't even use the "social" aspect of Strava (eg, comparing PR's and go KOM hunting). Most of you simply use Strava to track your rides, so there is still value there, right? and you can still see what your other buddies are doing (though you cannot compare your PR's to their PR's anymore). As for "map your route" feature, there are other sites who provide this for free,... but... what if one day, it's no longer free? Then you'll go searching for the next freebie? Having said that, I could never really understand the need to map a ride! On a long route that I have never ridden before, I usually like to map it on a piece of paper (using Google maps) and stick on the handlebars. Nothing more annoying than looking at the small screen of a Garmin 520 while trying to look for streets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Most of you in here who rail against the changes Strava has made don't even use the "social" aspect of Strava (eg, comparing PR's and go KOM hunting). Most of you simply use Strava to track your rides,
    How do you know that, assuming?

Though I use strava as my #1 reason is to track my mileage, I am highly into comparing myself to my buds via leaderboard-those I am following comparisons of the segments feature. Also the fly by feature after every ride viewing those that ride around me which is usually about 50 riders. I enjoy clicking on their bubbles on the map to see how and where they rode as we crossed paths.

So when you say "most of you", I wonder if you even know who is tracking what. Did you do some kind of a survey here?

FTR, I did pay strava the first 3 years I was on but the only benefit then was the compare to age and weight group. After so much of that, it wasn't interesting any longer. I let it go and now withthe changes, I'm good with the logging aspect. After many years, I already know what my buds do on rides so there is no real curiosity anymore that needs to be filled. So it definitely isn't worth paying for now.

Been using strava and garmin connect since 2012. I guess they are just a little more similar to one another now if I chose not to pay. Though the strava comparisons were fun, I'll still use it as a logging tool.
    Last edited by DeepV; 1 Week Ago at 10:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepV View Post
    How do you know that, assuming?

Though I use strava as my #1 reason is to track my mileage, I am highly into comparing myself to my buds via leaderboard-those I am following comparisons of the segments feature. Also the fly by feature after every ride viewing those that ride around me which is usually about 50 riders. I enjoy clicking on their bubbles on the map to see how and where they rode as we crossed paths.

So when you say "most of you", I wonder if you even know who is tracking what. Did you do some kind of a survey here?

FTR, I did pay strava the first 3 years I was on but the only benefit then was the compare to age and weight group. After so much of that, it wasn't interesting any longer. I let it go and now withthe changes, I'm good with the logging aspect. After many years, I already know what my buds do on rides so there is no real curiosity anymore that needs to be filled. So it definitely isn't worth paying for now.

Been using strava and garmin connect since 2012. I guess they are just a little more similar to one another now if I chose not to pay. Though the strava comparisons were fun, I'll still use it as a logging tool.
    I know that by reading single comment posted above my reply. People who posted ***** about Strava's changes, yet they're not utiilizing the features they're blasting against. ...And, other website that they want jump onto (eg, RWGPS) don't have the social features of Strava. So why bother *****ing? YOU, on the the other hand, do use the leaderboard, as do I, so I can see your point in complaining. But it's not the end of the world to me if I can't see the full leaderboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast