Strava Fan or Strava Hater?
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Strava Fan or Strava Hater?

We had a lively back-and-forth about the merits of Strava on RoadBikeReview.com this week. Check out the Pro and Con opinions here and here.

What’s consensus here? Love Strava? Hate it? Somewhere in between?

8003763735_4b6c159e86_o.jpg

Master debator.
    Don't use it. I only download my data to Garminconnect for my use only.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

δanned
    My friend has been trying to get me to use it for a while, but I don't see the point. I see plenty of mal-adjusted males comparing the sizes of their e-peens when I play online multiplayer games. This would just seem to accomplish the same task but with bicycles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    So you'd agree with our columnist Kurt, who is clearly not a fan of Strava

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Love the T Shirt. I saw another one that said something like "EPO - Strava made me do it"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find it useful for keeping track of approximate mileage. However, whether due to its inherent inaccuracy, or my obsolescent android phone, the ride data is very inaccurate. I get a fraction of my actual climbing, and my speed is off. But for comparing one of my rides to my past rides to measure for improvement, it's useful. Not so much for comparing myself to others, which I really don't care about in the first place.

It's erratic in recording known segments on my rides, too. Sometimes it picks up all of them, sometimes it picks up some, sometimes none.

My understanding is that when used with a Garmin, it's much more accurate.

Damn it's hot here
    I have never recorded a ride with Strava... I upload to Strava from my Garmin 500, not going to rely on a cellphone app to be accurate

Re-Cyclist
    [QUOTE=Jason303;4301381]We had a lively back-and-forth about the merits of Strava on RoadBikeReview.com this week.
    [QUOTE]

Uh, this ISRoadBikeReview.com.

Strava is basically a great tool, but with so many people using it there are way too many segments representing people's personal little sections that have no interest to most of us. I'm tired of seeing 50 segments listed whenever I ride anywhere. Still, Strava gives me good info and tracks my annual stats well.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    I have some friends who love it, and I have no reason to hate it. I'm more into light day touring so some other sites like ridewithgps.com provide more information I find useful.

Token Sprinter
    I like it, it keeps me motivated. Most of the guys on my team are on Strava so its cool to be able to see what everyone is doing. Also, everyone knows when you're slacking so it motivates me to get out there and ride more. That and it lets me see who is riding what back home. I suppose I like it more for the social aspect rather than going balls out for segments and whatnot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love it.

Having several friends, living in various states , it is a useful tool. I love being able to follow their rides daily.

The only person I use it to ‘compete’ with is myself. It’s a very useful training tool.
    Uploading the data from my Garmin 500 is a breeze too.

Damn it's hot here
    ridegps, has cooler info/interface, but my club we use strava so I switched 6 months ago. I think the Strava emails informing you someone is now following you are funny..."yo the man, Tony is following you" oh wow I am a star LOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I use it all the time and I love it. Nice to track my overall rides and performance on each one. Gives me a nice "where I stand" feeling as well. It is nice fun little toy, and I can see not everyone may want to use it, but why do some seem to hate it so much?
    Joe
    Road Bike - Specialized Venge | MTB - 2018 Specialized Epic - Vassago Verhauen Steel SS - 2013 Santa Cruz 5010

RoadBikeReview Member
    I luv it - great to see friends weekend rides (even when we can't ride together).

I luv seeing my own improvements on certain segments but I hate seeing them not improve when I'm giving 100%.

I hate comparing my Garmin Edge 500 data with Android/iPhone users - the phones always seem to have wacked a$$ readings or top speeds of 90mph. If they included a filter for devices that would be awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I actually just signed up for Strava this week. It seems cool so far. I don't run Strava during my commute rides, so my Strava profile is hundreds of miles, and will the thousands, lighter than what I really do. Oh well. One of the best things is using it to find good cycling routes or climbs in my area that I didn't know about. It seems accurate too although I've never used anything else to measure feet climbed so it's a pretty neat thing to use for free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It was cool during the first year of using strava.
    Now I just don't care for it much because the novelty has kinda worn out on me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mapping, tracking data, phone app, all good. Comparing to others? Meh. I compare myself to others by riding with them.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    While I am not a user I do see how it could be useful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I use my Garmin to upload my data to Strava to track personal progress. I have a friends on it and it's pretty nifty to see how you compare to others in popular segments, but I won't go out of my way to try to outperform others. In addition to Strava I also use ridewithgps and mapmyride to discover new routes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love the T-shirt. Strava...not so much. But no reason to hate it, that's way to strong of a word. I have an account and use the app on maybe 20% of my rides. I don't own a fancy Garmin.

I don't love it and I certainly don't hate it - it's fine and sometimes fun to look at even though it's not very accurate - or hasn't been for me, but I like looking at squiggly lines on axis. I sometimes use it to look at where other people in my area ride too.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

Bike Wing Conspiracy

I am obsessed with it.

Love it.

Uploaded all my years of riding to it to see how slack I have become.

It is helping me regain some past form.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I don't use it. In fact, I've been riding without any type of computer for several years. I don't need Strava to know that I'm not the fastest rider in my neck of the woods. I can live with it.

My only problem with it it that it seems to entice people to turn every group ride into a race, especially on the hills. So you scored a KOM on the local hill that has only been ridden 10 times? Congrats. You da man. Now get a life.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Love it. Find lots of new routes that others do. Motivates me to get out and ride. Met a few friends there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't use Strava. About 1 year ago I signed up and had a look to see what it is all about and quickly realized that it is useless for me. I am not going to ride out of my way to hit local segments and I certainly would not waste a workout to preserve myself for a particular segment.

To see how I compare with others, I enter a races.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 Cross
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Re: Strava Fan or Strava Hater?

I use Strava as a fitness indicator, mapping tool, and social tool. Yes, I love it.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast