Sub-compact?

Thread: Sub-compact?

RoadBikeReview Member

Sub-compact?

I'm building a Ti Road bike and usually run a compact 50/34 with 11-30 cassette.I'm thinking of going 48/32 or even 46/30 as I'm not getting any younger,it's very hilly around here and the Ti build is (hopefully) going to be a "forever" bike.I'm fitting Ultegra Di2 so would rather not go down the long cage mech/larger cassette route.
    Any users?
    I can't remember the last time I used 50/11 or TBH even 50/13 on 10 speed.
    I'm also thinking of trying Oval rings as the old knees aren't 100%?Good,bad or just a gimmick?

Russian Troll Farmer
    I second your ideas, short of the oval-ring gimmick. I'm at the age that I'm not going to do any pacelines again, and as a result, I never hammer on downhills anymore, thereby making the top 2-3 speeds on any common roadbike useless to me. Most of my bikes have 'touring gearing', which is just fine by me.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I have a 46/30 on my gravel bike. Love the thing. But that bike has 29x2" tires on it.....so the effective gearing is higher than it would otherwise look in terms of meters-development or gear-inches.

For a skinny-tire road bike, do it. Don't need my approval. Only thing to be careful of....if you have a braze-on front mech, you may not be able to--because you cannot lower the FD enough to the crankset.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

What the what???
    I second that emotion. The last time I had 2 rings up front 46/34 was the combo I used and I liked it. It let me get a lot more use out of the big ring.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    This is my new favorite site for answering the question of "What gears do I need?"...

BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Speed Chart

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I have a 46/30 on my gravel bike. Love the thing. But that bike has 29x2" tires on it.....so the effective gearing is higher than it would otherwise look in terms of meters-development or gear-inches.

For a skinny-tire road bike, do it. Don't need my approval. Only thing to be careful of....if you have a braze-on front mech, you may not be able to--because you cannot lower the FD enough to the crankset.
    The mech is braze-on(Di2) but the frame isn't so i need a converter clamp so that's not an issue?
    Looking like a win/win

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I think those cranksets look really interesting but only you can decide what's right for you. I've been running a single ring up front on the road for the last year or so and don't miss the 52/36 I was running before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm another running 46\30. I like it a bunch.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%JR View Post
    The mech is braze-on(Di2) but the frame isn't so i need a converter clamp so that's not an issue?
    Looking like a win/win
    Almost certainly not an issue.
    Although, I do have a frame where I'm not sure it would be possible because if I moved the der. down enough to work with a 46 I might run into the water bottle screw before I got it low enough. Not sure never tried it. It would be close.
    So I would at least give that a glance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I just don't get the 1X, the 2X have lower gears period!
    If you have a 29'r, that is just not going to work. I did a ride today with a 3x with 26" wheels and used all the gears, it's hilly around here too!
    BANNED

Matnlely Dregaend
    I have these feelings at the beginning of the season (like now), but they quickly fade as I lose the 15 pounds of Winter weight (the wife cooks good food ok?). My 50 year old body has conceded that I need neither a 53 nor an 11 (or even 12), but when in shape I make do with the 50/34 and a 13-26 cassette (it has an 18 in 10 speed). And yes it's hilly I live on top of a crazy steep climb (16% in spots).
    Last edited by DrSmile; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:03 PM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I make due with the 50/34 and a 13-26 cassette
    When is it due? Are you giving it its due? Do you know the difference between do, due, and dew?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    ..... I live on top of a crazy steep climb (16% in spots).
    Me, too; my house is built on the top of a glacial esker. Every ride ends with me cranking up the hill in bottom gear, panting like a pack mule!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    When is it due? Are you giving it its due? Do you know the difference between do, due, and dew?
    That's what I get for reading old books to learn English as a second language when I was 12... corrected sir!
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    hilly where I live too, but I use the 50 ring a lot. Especially downhill. Instead I just put on wider gear range by installing a XT 11-42 on the back. Turns the bike into what we were using 20 years ago: triple chainring gearing on a 2x bike. I only use it for the 15%+ sections. My previous house had a 250 foot long driveway at 20%, so every ride ended with that ugly thing. Now I live on the water so every ride starts with a substantial climb instead.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    . My previous house had a 250 foot long driveway at 20%, so every ride ended with that ugly thing. Now I live on the water so every ride starts with a substantial climb instead.
    So..... IYO, is it better to have a killer climb out of the box, when your muscles are cold or at the end when you had to chase that girl in pink and ended up heading for the house gassed? I got passed today by one, I couldn't catch her!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    my house is built on the top of a glacial esker.
    Is being on an esker better than being on a drumlin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    So..... IYO, is it better to have a killer climb out of the box, when your muscles are cold or at the end when you had to chase that girl in pink and ended up heading for the house gassed? I got passed today by one, I couldn't catch her!
    well 5% hill at the beginning is better than 20% at the end lol
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Well, I guess you don't have apples to apples. I would not want a 20% climb out of the house, or at the end. 5% wouldn't be so bad either way. I can pick which way I go out of my house, up or down, almost always I pick the down going out.
    BANNED