Sunglasses with Inserts
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Sunglasses with Inserts

I want to get some sunglasses for riding. Since I need prescription lenses I was thinking of the Bolle or glasses like them with the inserts for prescription lenses behind the front lens. I was looking for some opinions of people who might use them.
    "The Shill"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

I bought Oakleys with the Rx inserts last Summer.

Really like them. I have friends with Bolle and comparables and the only complaint is that sometimes the space betwen the outer lens and Rx insert will get fogged up from sweat, rain, fog, etc. I haven't experienced that with the Oakleys. A downside of the Oakleys is cost, the M Frame and one lens was $375 through my local optical shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ran into the same issue... can't do Contacts...
    So what I did was order every pair of prescription sunglasses from performance (except the Rudy Projects for almost $300) .... I tried them all on, and the most comfy, without feeling like I was in a fishbowl was the Performance Radial II.

3 lenses... dark, orange, and clear.
    Sweatband across the top, removable nose piece...
    I still want to try the Oakley's like those worn by Tyler Hamilton but that will have to wait til I have extra cash or a sponsorship... And I think we both know that ain't gonna happen.
    You can ride a BIG WHEEL as long as it puts a smile on your face.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    I want to get some sunglasses for riding. Since I need prescription lenses I was thinking of the Bolle or glasses like them with the inserts for prescription lenses behind the front lens. I was looking for some opinions of people who might use them.
    Try these guys. They make prescription lenses that are direct replacements for non-prescription lenses; therefore, no inserts are needed. They've had some bang-up reviews in some magazines.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

rudy rydons

Very happy with them. I had bifocal inserts made and they work great. They're a little heavier than shades without inserts and had to make a few adjustments so my eyelashes wouldn't hit the inside of the lens, but worth the tradeoff, in my opinion.

xxl
    You might give Zeal Optics a try (zealoptics.com). I used them for my last pair of prescription shades, which were also my first non-insert specs. I found the company to be very easy to deal with, and I've been quite happy with my glasses.

You might also consider the selections from your local optometrist. They may have some brands (e.g. Oakley, Bolle), and can order stuff as well. My optometrist is a runner, so she had a pretty decent assortment of brands, YMMV.

BTW, if you can swing it, opt for dedicated prescription lenses over inserts; the fogging problem others spoke of is real. I rode my (insert) Bolles for years, but once I made the switch (to non-inserts), I'd never go back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    I have a -13 diopter (veritable coke bottle lenses) and use the Bolle insert system. When I first got them I thought they would be too heavy, but I got used to them pretty quickly. No issues with nosepiece soreness or indentations. For my prescription, the opticians laugh at any direct lens option. For me contacts would work, but lasik is out. I'm waiting for the interocular lens that works with astigmatism.

rock n rolling resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by percy
    Very happy with them. I had bifocal inserts made and they work great. They're a little heavier than shades without inserts and had to make a few adjustments so my eyelashes wouldn't hit the inside of the lens, but worth the tradeoff, in my opinion.
    The deal breaker for me with the Rudy inserts was precisely my eyelashes hitting the insert lens... I suppose my facial feature is such that I couldn't adjust enough to move the insert away from my lashes far enough....
    “nobody hears about dick cheney having an existential crisis.” - MKUltra3

n00bsauce
    What works is somewhat dependant on your prescription. Inserts work better with stronger prescriptions and you can change lenses. I like the option of having dark grey, orange and clear lenses. I bought Rudy Project RB3 and have been very happy. The inserts for the RB3's minimize the curvature of the lens and thus minimize distortion. They are less curved than Bolle and almost any others I could find. However, things have changed for me in the last three weeks. I had lasik and no longer need the inserts. Life is good. If you can swing it get the lasik done.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

I Type, Therefore I Am
    I have the same problem with my Rudy Ekynox SX. I really like the way they look on me, so I trim my eyelashes so they don't hit the lenses. The things we do to look good.

Have a nice day
    This may be a little old school for some people but I know that there are prescription inserts available for Gargoyles Classics and 85s. If you don't mind looking like the Terminator you aren't going to find better eye protection than with the classic Gargoyles design.

I have been wearing the same pair of Gargoyles Silver Medalists (same as Classics) since 1991. Yes, 1991. I'm not making that up. Actually, the single-piece lens cracked at the bridge in 1996, mainly due to poor storage practices on my part. I sent the glasses in to Gargoyles and asked to be billed for the repair, but they replaced the lens n/c and sent them back to me. Here I am ten years later with the same lens, thanks to a rigid case.

That's quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used sunglasses with inserts for several years. They are a cheaper solution than prescription wraparound glasses. As such, there are a lot of disadvantages to the cheaper solution. They place the glasses further from your eyes and can create more air turbulance behind the glasses at speed. They are a royal pain to clean since you have to take them apart. They can fog up between the layers. I had a pair of prescrition glasses made that I wore or a couple of years and finally had my optomotrist order a pair of prescription glasses from Oakley. The Oakleys are expensive but I think they are worth the cost.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    Try these guys. They make prescription lenses that are direct replacements for non-prescription lenses; therefore, no inserts are needed. They've had some bang-up reviews in some magazines.

Agreed. I've purchased two sets of Rudys from Bret at Sports Optical and like the lack of an insert. He can use transition lenses so you can have a one lens fits most conditions set of glasses.