Sunglasses/Oakley Flak Jacket question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by goodboyr View Post
    I have this exact combo, been riding with them over this season, and I can assure you they are fantastic. Perhaps not as perfect coverage as my assos zegho glasses, but I needed prescription and these glasses with prescription are great. The tint provides great contrast ( with a slight red shift to what you see). I am very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    That's reassuring. Thanks for mentioning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Jay, can you provide your feedback on these glasses? I'm looking at getting a pair and would like to know how it's going.

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Personally if I had to choose one lens for cycling it would be the prizm trail lens, the prizm road lens is a bit too dark for overcast days IMHO. I will say the prizm road lens looks cooler though!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Personally if I had to choose one lens for cycling it would be the prizm trail lens, the prizm road lens is a bit too dark for overcast days IMHO. I will say the prizm road lens looks cooler though!
    Interesting you say this, when I spoke with SportsRx, the rep said that many go with the Golf version because it's in between the Road and Trail. Can anyone here verify this?

I plan to have a 2nd set of lenses made because I need something for when I go into the woods for my wildlife photography, the trail seems like the ticket for this. So, they can be used for MTB riding, photography and road riding when the conditions calls for it.

Thoughts?

banned
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm not looking to get inserts. I want prescription glasses.

An aero helmet with a shield is something I had considered but was worried about fog. I used to play hockey with that was essentially the same set up but contacts and I remember the one time I tried using regular glasses under a half shield fog was a big problem.
    So Marc, no problem with fog using a shield and glasses?
    Those Casco helmets are really nice. I tried one on last time I was in Germany and a store had one at it fit perfect so I would definitely go that route if fog with a shield and glasses won't be an issue.

Contacts with non prescription glasses is probably the smart move but I'm to lazy to deal with contacts every ride.
    Good call on not wanting inserts.

I think Marc's remarks above are pretty accurate. That being said, prescription racing jackets solved the eye watering issues for me and changing lenses for cloudy or sunny weather is easy (I mostly change to the light gathering lenses in the late fall and back in the early spring).

Sports RX does a really good job on prescription racing jackets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Interesting you say this, when I spoke with SportsRx, the rep said that many go with the Golf version because it's in between the Road and Trail. Can anyone here verify this?

I plan to have a 2nd set of lenses made because I need something for when I go into the woods for my wildlife photography, the trail seems like the ticket for this. So, they can be used for MTB riding, photography and road riding when the conditions calls for it.

Thoughts?
    in deep shadows that I find riding the road in heavily wooded areas, as well as gravel I would not want anything darker than trail lenses personally, but each person is going to have different bias probably. For gravel I often find myself in bright conditions for a while, then into deep shadows - and the time it takes my eyes to adjust coupled with very rough double track makes a lighter color lens my sweet spot. That said, I haven't tried the golf lenses either. For bright sun continuously the trail lenses are a little on the light tinted side, I wouldn't use them on a beach or in AZ on trails in the desert etc. My driving glasses are Prizm Road for day time, and I switch to transitions lenses at dusk, heavy overcast or night driving. Transition lenses don't get very dark in a car unfortunately or I would use them all the time driving. I believe Oakley has a chart which shows how much light is let through for different lenses, a good place to see relative brightness of lens choices if you can find it. BTW, SportRX is great to work with, highly recommended.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    in deep shadows that I find riding the road in heavily wooded areas, as well as gravel I would not want anything darker than trail lenses personally, but each person is going to have different bias probably. For gravel I often find myself in bright conditions for a while, then into deep shadows - and the time it takes my eyes to adjust coupled with very rough double track makes a lighter color lens my sweet spot. That said, I haven't tried the golf lenses either. For bright sun continuously the trail lenses are a little on the light tinted side, I wouldn't use them on a beach or in AZ on trails in the desert etc. My driving glasses are Prizm Road for day time, and I switch to transitions lenses at dusk, heavy overcast or night driving. Transition lenses don't get very dark in a car unfortunately or I would use them all the time driving. I believe Oakley has a chart which shows how much light is let through for different lenses, a good place to see relative brightness of lens choices if you can find it. BTW, SportRX is great to work with, highly recommended.
    Thanks for the insight. I went with the Oakley Flak 2.0XL. Oakley had a sale and I got 2 pairs for a little more than the price of one. With my prescription, I am limited on frame choices. I would've love some of those larger lens glasses for cycling, but can't. The Flaks look sporty on and off the bike, so they will get everyday use and I like that I can swap lenses. I just purchased my prescriptions through SportsRx - prism road and iridium polarized. Mike was cool to work with as he gave me all my options based on my prescription and was patient with all of my questions. Ironically their costs was more than $200 cheaper than Lens Crafters, who are owned by the same company as Oakley. Unbelievable. I will sell the lenses that came with the frames; they are priced at about $90 each to recoup some of my costs.

I can't trust my prescription lenses with Chinese knock off frames.
    Last edited by Methodical; 12-28-2018 at 03:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Jay, can you provide your feedback on these glasses? I'm looking at getting a pair and would like to know how it's going.

Thanks...
    Sure. First; incase you missed it I ended up getting Flak 2.0 XL with Prizm Road lenses. And they are prescription.

In summary I've been extremely happy with them. Fit and comfort are an individual thing so I won't really get into that but:
    -I didn't end up getting a second set of lenses for cloudy days because these "road" lenses are fine for all days.
    -I'd say the tearing issue was about 90% cured. I still feel some water forming when it's really cold and speed gets over 35 or so.....but I would no longer call it an issue like with my prior regular glasses.
    -The lens tint is awesome. Fine in all conditions including going from bright sun to dark like when I go under a long bridge or something. They never seem to dark or to light.
    -Great for looking at the road (spotting pot holes ect)
    -They fit great with one of my helmets but it's a tad awkward getting set up with another one. So do try with your helmet to make sure the combo. works okay.
    -They could be marketed as "foliage viewing" glasses. I live in New England and riding in the fall is a whole new experience. The definition and color I see now is really cool.
    -The don't shake around or fall down my nose at all.

Keep in mind I was coming from regular glasses, not sports sunglasses, so I was bound to be impressed with anything and I have no standard of compare with other sports sunglasses but I think the Flak 2.0 XL with Prizm Road lenses are awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Thoughts?
    I didn't see that when I first responded.

I ride in the woods quite a bit and have not found any need for lenses other than the road one. Maybe the trail ones would be even better but I'll never know because I don't see the need.

I would hold off on getting the second set unless you don't care about spending the money. You may find you want them but maybe not.

I stressed out over getting road, trail and/or another one but in the end that was probably a waste of mental energy because the road one has been great for all the riding I do. Which is all season on and off road.

I'm not into photography but I think you'll be perfectly happy with the road lenses in the woods. Maybe not but I'd find out before buying a second set.

I don't use a bike computer by the way. If I remember correctly someone mentioned earlier in the thread that reading one could be an issue with the road lenses. So maybe you need to look into that if you'd care.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Sure. First; incase you missed it I ended up getting Flak 2.0 XL with Prizm Road lenses. And they are prescription.

In summary I've been extremely happy with them. Fit and comfort are an individual thing so I won't really get into that but:
    -I didn't end up getting a second set of lenses for cloudy days because these "road" lenses are fine for all days.
    -I'd say the tearing issue was about 90% cured. I still feel some water forming when it's really cold and speed gets over 35 or so.....but I would no longer call it an issue like with my prior regular glasses.
    -The lens tint is awesome. Fine in all conditions including going from bright sun to dark like when I go under a long bridge or something. They never seem to dark or to light.
    -Great for looking at the road (spotting pot holes ect)
    -They fit great with one of my helmets but it's a tad awkward getting set up with another one. So do try with your helmet to make sure the combo. works okay.
    -They could be marketed as "foliage viewing" glasses. I live in New England and riding in the fall is a whole new experience. The definition and color I see now is really cool.
    -The don't shake around or fall down my nose at all.

Keep in mind I was coming from regular glasses, not sports sunglasses, so I was bound to be impressed with anything and I have no standard of compare with other sports sunglasses but I think the Flak 2.0 XL with Prizm Road lenses are awesome.
    Thanks. I'm glad the road versions will be good in the woods. I did go with 2 pairs of the Flak 2.0 only because Oakley had a sale and I was able to get 2 pair for the price of one pair. I was going to get a 2nd set of lenses (i.e. road and polarized) and swap them out between riding and everyday use, but now I don't have to do this. I'll just swap glasses. SportsRx even knocked off $80 on the lenses. I'm going to sell the lenses that came with the frames and recoup some of my funds. The lenses retail prices are $85 and $90.

I am coming from regular 'ole glasses, too. I did try them on with my helmet and they fit fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12