Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Sunscreen that's functionally good for cycling

10K views 83 replies 31 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
I bike at least 100 miles each week in sunny California. Naturally that means lot of time in the sun. My medical plan provides free unlimited sunscreen.

https://www.psico.com/product/vanicream-sunscreen30/

Even though it is an outstanding product for protection from Mr. Sun it unfortunately has the composition of white clown makeup. It coats one's skin. Riding around covered in white clown makeup has its drawbacks. So I don't use it except for a few very small areas.

What product do you folks recommend, (At least SPF-30), that would be good for biking? Good for both the initial application and then follow ups along those longer rides when during subsequent applications one's skin is likely to be sweaty.

Thanks.

#4 ·
That looks like a good sunscreen. Stick with it. You can also use physical barriers like long-sleave jerseys. Sunscreens that become transparent either don't have enough zinc oxide or else they are based on nanoparticles, which are potentially a health hazard themselves. Also avoid the sprays.

#17 ·
Jay, what I have if I use it offers great protection. It's ingredients are both the best for sun protection and for the skin too. But...the particular brand that is supplied to me by my insurance provider goes on white and dries and stays white. One literally looks like they are wearing clown makeup. So I don't use it. (Takes a little extra scrubbing in the shower to get off too.) Now that is fine for old fat pale white people lying on the beach or even in some "stylish" cases on the nose but on a cyclist in a cycling culture riding all about looking like a clown on a bike isn't cool! ;)

Hence, my request. What sunscreen do folks recommend that goes on before and during cycling easily and still leaves one looking recognizable and natural. (When one needs to apply it in the middle of the ride where I live one is usually perspiring to varying degrees.)

Anyway it's a cosmetic issue not a protection one. ;)

Gracias.

#14 ·
There's nothing special about cycling that's different from any other activity where you sweat a lot, so any product that resists sweating off works, IME. I like Bullfrog gel and Coppertone Sport, both rated SPF 50.

#16 ·
As you can see from the different replies to your post you will most likely have to try different sun screens to find the one that works for you. I have tried a number of different ones and have had different results from each one. I have gone from using one that didn't seem to do anything at all to using a highly recommended one that caused me to break out in a pretty bad rash. Right now I am using "Banana Boat Sport 50+" and I have gotten pretty good results. It is also a pretty good bet that what-ever you do choose depending on the length of your rides and the amount that you sweat you will have to make multiple applications regardless of the claims made. Good luck.
John

#19 ·
#21 ·
The best sunscreens for sports probably are the ones that are going to have more physical content and look white. Mostly the issue is that people don't reapply after 80 mins as required, or before if if sweat and wiping of e.g. the face occurs. I use generic baby sunscreens that have some water resistance, and reapply PRN, use sun arms because sunscreen doesn't cut it. Utah sun is brutal. I would always try and by the highest SPF but always reapply in the 80 mins if at all possible.

#22 ·
Another important thing to note is that most people do not apply enough sunscreen. If your skin doesn't appear/feel wet right after application, you didn't apply enough.

#30 ·
Another vote for Bullfrog here.

#33 ·
Exactly. I hate that Coppertone aerosol sh*t. Gives me an asthma attack whenever someone uses it.

I like Kin-e-sys. It's an unscented non-aerosol spray. Have never burned with it though it's only "30+" and I have fair skin and live at altitude.

#36 ·
anything with ingredients of the "benzone" varieties or "titanium dioxide", I ain't touching. Cmon folks, these are chemicals foreign to your body.

Maybe, maybe, I'd consider putting on the white cakey zinc oxide stuff, but.. for this to work properly, you really need to cake your face or body. It is basically a white cake barrier. No thanks!

So what are my alternatives then?

1. ride before 10 am or after 3 pm. UV light during the hours outside of 10 am - 3 pm is acceptable. I will take my chances with the UV light outside of these hours than take my chances with those common sunscreen chemicals.

2. wear clothing, and limit the ride to shorter duration, or to the time period of lower UV index like said above

3. use natural organic sunscreens based on natural vegetarian products. Now, these are themselves sketchy too, as some people report they are not as effective as the "benzone" and "titanium dioxide" stuff. But.. I rather use the natural stuff, in combination of clothing, and trying to avoid the high-UV index hours... this may be the best compromise.

I'm also a little fortunately that I'm asian so my skin

#38 ·
I concur!

The dilemma is which is worse, sun damage or ingesting petrochemical hydrocarbons? (Yes, whatever you put on your skin goes in the body. Don't put anything on your skin that you wouldn't eat)

GlobalGuy,
That sunscreen is much better than most but still contains some chemicals of concern.

There is much debate on the cancer issue since some of the petro hydrocarbons used in sunscreen are carcinogenic and incidence skin cancer is higher than ever. Sunscreen use is higher than ever too.

For me getting burnt is worse so I try to use clothing and the natural sunscreens over most of body. I do use the other stuff on face and ears as the "natural" sunscreens are not as strong. Aloe Gator or No Ad are options that work for me.

#37 ·
I can't claim it's "the best" or anything, but I use a lot of Coppertone Sport 50, because it doesn't burn my eyes. And I can tell from direct comparison that it blocks a lot better than Neutrogena Beach Defense 70 Aerosol, which I tried to put on very heavy and left me very greasy. I still got tanned through that.

#44 ·
I use this Bullfrog on my arms and legs
EWG rating for Bull Frog Ultimate Sheer Body Sunscreen, SPF 30 | EWG's 2015 Guide to Sunscreens

and this ThinkSport on my face and neck
EWG rating for Thinksport Sunscreen, SPF 50+ | EWG's 2015 Guide to Sunscreens

The Bullfrog is thinner and goes on easy, it's clear from the start. Also cheaper by the oz.
The Thinksport is thicker, so a little more work to spread, but sting free for me if it runs with sweat into the eyes.
Thinksport goes on white at first, but goes clear after a minute or two.
That site that rates them seems to do a good job.

#45 ·
I use this Bullfrog on my arms and legs
EWG rating for Bull Frog Ultimate Sheer Body Sunscreen, SPF 30 | EWG's 2015 Guide to Sunscreens

and this ThinkSport on my face and neck
EWG rating for Thinksport Sunscreen, SPF 50+ | EWG's 2015 Guide to Sunscreens

That site that rates them seems to do a good job.
The site that you mention I discovered shortly after making my OP. I found it VERY informative and helpful. Actually amazingly helpful in the depth of information and user friendly format plus links to site to purchase. (It also helped to refer to the site to check different recommendations of various posters.)

I'm expecting Bull Frog Gel in the mail in the next couple of days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.