A Survey about Bike Brands
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2018

A Survey about Bike Brands

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't allowed, but my company is working with a big cycling brand to conduct a market survey on cyclists' attitudes towards their bikes. If you have a moment to spare, I'd really appreciate if you could take a look at the survey here: https://survey.viga.com/?id=f804c1c8ebS9e0bfed9

It shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes of your time. Thanks so much, and have a great day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Better fix it, darling. Got stuck on what bikes I like. The bike brand options never came up. Resent URL and came up on the same page, no response to clicker, so I couldn't start over. Sure hope this isn't BS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    no problems here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    no problems here.
    Darn! Was it fun?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Better fix it, darling. Got stuck on what bikes I like. The bike brand options never came up. Resent URL and came up on the same page, no response to clicker, so I couldn't start over. Sure hope this isn't BS.
    Hi Fredrico, sorry to hear that! What browser were you taking the survey on? I'll check with our tech team to see what could have caused the issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Darn! Was it fun?
    long, the question about what brands are you aware of.......... that would take over 10 minutes to fill in. Also Spesh and S-works are treated as separate brands. But it wasn't painful and if it helps someone out, why not?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    long, the question about what brands are you aware of.......... that would take over 10 minutes to fill in. Also Spesh and S-works are treated as separate brands. But it wasn't painful and if it helps someone out, why not?
    Thanks for taking the time to check out the survey, really appreciate it! Have a great day!

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesurveygal View Post
    ..big cycling brand...
    Nice methodology you have there. It would be a shame if your sample turned out to be non-representative, say from being affected by self selection bias. Or flawed because someone messed with it by putting in multiple surveys (and yes, that would be trivial to do). Or...

I did take a minute to look into viga. I get the idea is "community-based business insights". I am saying your method is flawed, badly. Consider content analysis as a superior method for web based forums like this one. For your purposes, that could be largely automated if you have a good word list developed (brand names plus nicknames, along with positive and negative adjectives). That would give you actual community opinions as a whole, not just a few people who are willing to answer a web survey out of the blue. By gathering posting dates, you could then look for trends in the data as well.

Which you would have to weight by total activity, obviously. Well, obviously to me or anyone who actually thinks about methodological issues beyond the level of "can we make money by selling it"? Which vigo has been doing since... 2016? Hey, if people pay you to do it, it must be good, right?

Also, as a note, not even asking if such a survey is allowed before posting it shows your practices have some ethical issues, imo.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Nice methodology you have there. It would be a shame if your sample turned out to be non-representative, say from being affected by self selection bias. Or flawed because someone messed with it by putting in multiple surveys (and yes, that would be trivial to do). Or...

I did take a minute to look into viga. I get the idea is "community-based business insights". I am saying your method is flawed, badly. Consider content analysis as a superior method for web based forums like this one. For your purposes, that could be largely automated if you have a good word list developed (brand names plus nicknames, along with positive and negative adjectives). That would give you actual community opinions as a whole, not just a few people who are willing to answer a web survey out of the blue. By gathering posting dates, you could then look for trends in the data as well.

Which you would have to weight by total activity, obviously. Well, obviously to me or anyone who actually thinks about methodological issues beyond the level of "can we make money by selling it"? Which vigo has been doing since... 2016? Hey, if people pay you to do it, it must be good, right?

Also, as a note, not even asking if such a survey is allowed before posting it shows your practices have some ethical issues, imo.
    Hi, thanks for your thoughts! I've organized my response as a bulleted list (just for my own sake):

• I don't work for Viga - they are my company's research partner, and all of our experience with them has been nothing but great.
    • Non-representative samples are avoided through rigorous data cleaning, and we trust Viga to do a splendid job on that front.
    • The content analysis approach for forums such as this one is actually a great idea, so thank you for that!
    • I apologize for not asking before posting the survey - I tried to pre-empt any wrongdoing with an apology in my original post as well, if such behavior was not allowed. I personally do not see any ethical issues, but I respect your opinion.

Again, thanks for the feedback, and have a great day!

gazing from the shadows
    Hi, thanks for your thoughts! I've organized my response as a bulleted list (just for my own sake):

• I don't work for Viga - they are my company's research partner, and all of our experience with them has been nothing but great.
    • Non-representative samples are avoided through rigorous data cleaning, and we trust Viga to do a splendid job on that front.
    • The content analysis approach for forums such as this one is actually a great idea, so thank you for that!
    • I apologize for not asking before posting the survey - I tried to pre-empt any wrongdoing with an apology in my original post as well, if such behavior was not allowed. I personally do not see any ethical issues, but I respect your opinion.

Again, thanks for the feedback, and have a great day!
    I get that you did not design this, and are doing what you are told to do.

Cleaning data won't eliminate the problems with a self selected sample. Cleaning data means taking out responses/data that are clearly problematic. Like throwing out responses that say someone is 5 years old, but retired. Or responses that don't complete the survey. Or people who say they own zero bikes when you ask for bike owners. Things like that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cleansing

Viga won't "clean" it, they will take certain responses and populate a database according to whatever demographics they are looking for. Basically they will force a self selected sample into the form of a stratified sample. It won't be a stratified sample, and it will still be self selected, with all the problems of a self selected sample still in place.

You don't see anything unethical about using someone else's property (this website) without their permission? Have you even looked at the TOS to see if what you did MIGHT not be allowed?

For the record, I don't think the owners care. But then I have enough information to make that judgement, you don't. And even then, I don't know, I just know what has happened in the past.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    "Please enable scripting in your browser to participate in this survey."
    No thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    same thing here - also asked me how many bikes I intended to buy when I said I didn't intend to buy a bike in the next 3 months in the previous question. Tried with Firefox and Chrome.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

[REDACTED]
    I sure hope this isn't malware.

Mamma told me to never click on links from strangers.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    here's an input for your survey, from a 35 year cyclist.

Every new bike I have purchased in the last 20 years (5 bikes) have had the frame manufactured in the USA by American craftsmen. Three of those bikes have CF forks produced somewhere in Asia I believe. (edit: components produced outside USA, Italy mostly but a good bit Asian. Call me a Globalist)

I won't buy a new frame produced outside the US, a position I have maintained for many years. And I think Giant, Merida, Trek, Specialized, Look, Colnago, etc all produce great bicycles.
    Last edited by SantaCruz; 12-17-2018 at 12:19 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    list every bike brand you know. I've been typing for 90 minutes... should I stop yet?

Seriously - that question should be taken out.
    The survey is too long. And you know what happens with long surveys: Incompletes and/or speeding through it.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I don' got no time for no stinkin' survey.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    same thing here - also asked me how many bikes I intended to buy when I said I didn't intend to buy a bike in the next 3 months in the previous question. Tried with Firefox and Chrome.
    Sorry about that, the tech team is looking into it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    list every bike brand you know. I've been typing for 90 minutes... should I stop yet?

The survey is too long. And you know what happens with long surveys: Incompletes and/or speeding through it.
    Yep, I bailed at the same point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Why don't you offer to compensate the owners as you rightfully should?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post

Sorry about that, the tech team is looking into it!
    Perhaps the tech team does not know how deep this rabbit hole goes.

You should have a blue pill and a red pill option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    After all that it said I may have already taken it, I think I would remember.
    2014 Felt F2 w Williams System 45/60 carbon clinchers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Yep, I bailed at the same point.
    I just wrote too many to list and went on. But agree that long surveys aren't good for accuracy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2018
    Hi all, our tech team has been unable to replicate any of the crashes, but they've provided a clear cookies link (https://survey.viga.com/clearcookie.aspx?id=f804c1c8eb) that should allow you to "reset" the survey. Or you could try manually clearing your cache history. Thanks again for giving the survey a go!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hi all, our tech team has been unable to replicate any of the crashes, but they've provided a clear cookies link (https://survey.viga.com/clearcookie.aspx?id=f804c1c8eb) that should allow you to "reset" the survey. Or you could try manually clearing your cache history. Thanks again for giving the survey a go!
    Some advice: if you want people to participate, don't ask them to mess with cache files and cookies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Yea.. um.. no.. I would think your 'tech team' would know better than to ask users to use this link...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast