Sweatbands / Headbands
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dec 2005

Sweatbands / Headbands

I know it's a little early to be worrying about sweat, but I'm wanting to buy SOMETHING !!

What have you used to truly keep sweat out of your eyes? I see Halo headbands, Headsweats coolmax, Under Armour skull caps, Sweat GUTR advertised. What works best?

The Sweat GUTR looks interesting, but also looks like it could be a gimmick. Anyone used it?

waterproof*
    I live in Texas and routinely ride at 4-5pm on 100 degree days, plus in general I sweat a lot. I'm one of those guys in the spin class at the gym with a big puddle under my bike.

I've tried:
    - sweat bands, with and without helmet (call me old school)
    - do rags/bandannas, with and without
    - various types of caps
    - the GUTR

By far, and without hesitation, the GUTR works best. Period.

Doesn't have to be too tight, fits under a helmet / sunglasses like it's not there. Zero sweat gets from your forehead to your eyes. The only moisture I get is from the sweat of my eyebrows themselves, which is way less and tends to stay up there.

Occasionally the little gutter fills up (gross huh) and you can feel it trickle down one side or the other; but it's hardly noticeable and not an issue.

The plastic has an odd sweet smell that may bug you but it's not offensive to me. Reminds me of medical-grade plastics

Two thumbs up.

Have not tried:
    - under armour type stuff
    - Halo
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I've tried the Sweatvac, Headsweats, Halo2 and Pearl Izumu headbands under my helmet to keep sweat from dripping in my eyes. The Headsweats is probably the most effective, but the construction quality isn't that good. The Sweatvac is about as good and has excellent quality. The Pearl Izumi headband doesn't absorb as well and is only good for cooler days. The Halo2 works well, but the rubber strip leaves a red mark across your forehead for hours, so I can't recommend it. I haven't tried the Sweat GUTR since I haven't needed that extreme of a product, but I've read good reviews from people who need it.

Sep 2004
    Halo is crap. I think I paid $13 for it. Don't waste your mony. My sweat goes right in my eyes. I bought a thin nike headband at a sporting good store and use a skull cap. I did a century in 108 degrees. No problem with sweat getting in my eyes. I got a headsweat skull cap. I only used 1 season and seems to start coming on done. Nike sells a sweat cap. Seems thicker than the headsweat, probably will buy but the thickness is making me think twice.

Sep 2004
    I just looked at the GUTR website. It seems to be like the halo. When I tried the halo and took it off. I had a indent on my forehead for the rest of the day. And the halo didn't work very well either.

Failboat Captian
    I just use generic sweatbands. They work fine for my level of drippage. I have a friend that sweats like mad, and he swears by the GUTR. This guy can push the helmet against his head, and the sweat literally pours off the helmet pads.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

Domokun!
    I've tried and own them all. I sweat like the armpits of a ***** on dollar days!

By far the best I've used is the sweatvac. I own several of these for various times of the year and when it's 118deg outside I reach for the sweatvac headband!!!

The halo is junk. Leaves a nice "divot" in your mellon.
    The gutr is about the same without the divot.
    Normal headbands get saturated in about 15min.
    headsweats is as someone else said- cheap
    Sweatvac is the best, but they're are about $20 a piece.

Good luck!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I have a skullcap and a due rag cap, like a skullcap but it also has a tail on it, supposedly for the perspiration to go to and then evaporate. I won't ride anymore without a skullcap. I also use it in the winter and the cooler rides when I don't need a balaclava. Really works on keeping the sweat out of the eyes but I also wet it at rest stops or with my water bottle to help cool down. If I have sufficient water I use it to wipe my legs, arms, and face with it. Before I bought it, I thought it was kinda of hokey for me and for the better riders. My first one I didn't buy, it was included in my order by mistake. I called up and they took it off my credit card and told me it wasn't worth sending back, so I kept it, used it, loved it, and ordered another one from the same company.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Which sweatvac? I'm liking the looks of the ventilator cap for backpacking.

Feb 2008
    I use the $1.29 generic white sweatbands from Walmart. When I do Ragbrai I use one a day and throw the wet one away at the end of the day's ride. I usually wring it out during stops and let it dry in the sun. Never had an issue with sweat getting into my eyes with these. For the price of some "high tech" sweat rag you can get several of these.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    I use the $1.29 generic white sweatbands from Walmart. When I do Ragbrai I use one a day and throw the wet one away at the end of the day's ride...For the price of some "high tech" sweat rag you can get several of these.
    But the high tech ones that cost the same as 14 of those will last more than 14rides.

Feb 2008
    Washer and dryer. I only threw them away on Ragbrai because I was away from home. This year I plan to save them. Perhaps autgraph them and give them to hot chicks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Thats acceptable, and good thinking too, teh ladies often ask for my clothes after they confuse me with George Clooney, generally they come in packs so I'm left nude, but this could solve all that. Thank you.

Halo -- works great!

I've been using a Halo for several years -- flawless.

I haven't had sweat in my eyes once since I started using the Halo headband.

I ride in the Deep South -- it is like a jungle down here in the summertime. It's a torture-test for the any sweatband, and the Halo passes the test.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    I picked up a Gutr last year. I used to wear the wide Pace brand headbands. The Gutr is like wearing nothing compared to the Pace bands. The Gutr simply reroutes the sweat down the sides of your face. That sensation took some getting used to, but the minimalism of it made up for this when I tried going back to my old headbands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've tried the Halo, Gutr, skull caps and various sweat bands with the same result. Nothing works for very long. I ride in Houston with summers at 90+degrees with 85% humidity bing the norm. I've pretty much given up on finding anything that works.

DSE
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I'm one of those guys in the spin class at the gym with a big puddle under my bike.
    Have you tried putting a towell on the mat so no one else has to see the big pools of sweat? My wife made me do this, after pointing out how everyone else in the class was grossed out by the puddles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For those of you with the Gutr or Halo, does the band lessen or eliminate the build-up of sweat on the sunglass lenses? Thx.

Halo -- Sunglasses

Does it cut down on sweat on sunglass lenses?

Yes, I believe it does. It channels the sweat off your forehead. Instead, the sweat runs down the side of your face.

I don't feel it doing so, but I do notice that, on a hot day, I've got sweat dripping off my chin.

I'll take that over sweat in the eyes!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I shave my head, and just use a skull cap, but there's a guy in our club whose head sweats excessively. He tried everything available and settled on the GUTR. He started wearing it mid season last year. I asked him how he liked in near the end of the season. He raved about it for about 10 min. Claims it's the only thing he's ever found that works.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

humidity matters

Quote Originally Posted by ronb
    I know it's a little early to be worrying about sweat, but I'm wanting to buy SOMETHING !!

What have you used to truly keep sweat out of your eyes? I see Halo headbands, Headsweats coolmax, Under Armour skull caps, Sweat GUTR advertised. What works best?

The Sweat GUTR looks interesting, but also looks like it could be a gimmick. Anyone used it?
    Many folks talk about using certain headband products at a certain temperatures but I believe that humidity is a bigger factor in how successful a products works. Anything that depends on wicking and evaporation will become overwhelmed at higher humidity. What works in SoCal will not on the Gulf coast. I have had my best success with the Sweat GUTR. It keeps sweat out of my eyes on hot humid days as long as I am moving. I have also used Halo and its OK but it can get saturated and start dripping when dewpoints are high. I do have a SweatVac, but it just seems too dorky to wear in public and does not seem any better than the Sweat GUTR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    The Gutr worked well for me. I am going to try the Halo headband because a lot of my riding buddies use it and like it.

Big is relative
    I like the headsweats skull caps. They keep the bugs out of my hair especially the swarming ones that seem to always be right around head level when I am really sweaty.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    i take pride that my puddle is ALWAYS bigger than anyone else's
    Your walk talks and your talk talks, but your walk talks louder than your talk talks

txn
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I've tried a Headsweats scull cap and a Halo sweatband, and I prefer the Halo. It does a good job for me of channeling sweat away from my eyes, and it doesn't usually drip onto my sunglasses when I put my head down. That being said, I am a heavy sweater, and on hot days I may have to wring it out once an hour or so. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast