Synapse vs Domane? - LBS Recommending Domane W/O Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Having a tough time deciding on Project 1 6.9 Trek Domane and Synapse Hi-Mod. Both are excellent feels riding for a mile or so during the test. Right now, they are both a tie in terms of looks, initial feel, and fit (did notice Domane comes a little short, so might need a 1 size up?). The LBS sells both, but is clearly leaning toward the Domane for me and saying I will experience more discomfort in the Synapse on longer rides (post 10 miles). Hopefully they are being up front w/ me and not collecting side bonuses from Trek or something. But I would love to hear what folks say about these bikes in comparison. Note that I understand Synapses changed in 2014 from the prior models. So I'm looking for responses from people who know the newer Synapses (particularly hi-mod) and / or Trek Domane top of the line bikes. The Synapse looks really slick and pretty. Let me know. Want to purchase over next week. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Although it's not a highmod frame, I do have both synapse 2014 and Domane 6 series - the geometry is very similar. To me longer rides are 50+ miles, but I'm guessing the shop might be pushing the Domane due to differences in compliance of the frame. I can't comment on that because I don't have the highmod frame though.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    those are both comfort geometry bikes so if the fit is good you should be able to use both for 100 mile rides with no problem (unless there is something unusual about you ). can you arange to ride both for 20 or 30 miles?
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    When a shop recommends a bike, saying that it will be "more comfortable" on "longer" rides over 10 miles, my BS radar gets pegged.

I have a Synapse (2014 but not Hi-mod). Nothing at all uncomfortable about it on 100 mile rides. After riding both, I found it to be a little more nimble, handling wise, than the Domane. But that may not be an important difference to you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

I went from an older Synapse 06ish to a Domane, I found the slight frame size delta to make a difference for me and the Domane just fit me a better. I initially really noticed the delta on 40+ mile rides. One of the two should just feel better as who.e both are endurance geometry they are different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have no experience with none of those, I did however test ride a Demo this weekend from my LBS for as long as I needed to clear any doubts about the bike I rode. I rode it for 65 miles with 3,900 feet of climbing. Had a chance to test in all conditions I needed to.

Having said that, you should take a Demo and ride it like you would do in those especial rides. A one mile test would not even get your blood circulating. Your LBS should be able to accommodate that and give them a chance to stand by their word.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I have a 2014 Domane 5.9 and an older version of Time's Roubaix bike, the VXS. The Time is comfortable, but the Domane is more comfortable and feels stiffer when climbing/accelerating. The De-Coupler on the Domane is a game changer by allowing to seat tube to flex. The softer ride on the butt is unquestionable. I will likely sell the Time in the spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Although it's not a highmod frame, I do have both synapse 2014 and Domane 6 series - the geometry is very similar. To me longer rides are 50+ miles, but I'm guessing the shop might be pushing the Domane due to differences in compliance of the frame. I can't comment on that because I don't have the highmod frame though.
    Which one do you like more and why?

Is the synapse fun and fast? I'm asking because I'm looking for a second bike. I ride a caad10 and need something for longer rides but I don't want something too boring. I want to go try out a synapse since I hear a lot of good things from the 2014 version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    Which one do you like more and why?

Is the synapse fun and fast? I'm asking because I'm looking for a second bike. I ride a caad10 and need something for longer rides but I don't want something too boring. I want to go try out a synapse since I hear a lot of good things from the 2014 version.
    I like the Domane better - but it's not a fair comparison. The Domane is lighter by a few pounds, and stiffer bottom bracket. It's not a fair comparison because the Domane is a 6 series CF frame, 25mm tires and rim brakes, the Synapse is an aluminum framed disc brake bike with 28mm tires. The BB / Down tube is wider on the Domane which might have something to do with the stiffer BB or it could be that the CF can be built more rigid. The rides and geometry are very similar but the Domane is smoother in the back end on harsh bumps. The 28s on the Synapse may offset the lack of smoothness inherent with an aluminum frame though.

They are both fun to ride though for sure - they are just different. I got the Synapse for a 2nd bike and Winter / rain bike - it has full fenders
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I tried both and did not like domane. I would have gotten Hi mod but none were available in my size at the time in the whole country (61cm) I ended up on the madone and could not be happier

However if I had to have chosen between the domane and the synapse I definitely would have chosen synapse

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseleee View Post
    and saying I will experience more discomfort in the Synapse on longer rides (post 10 miles).
    Complete BS. I know nothing specifically about either bike, but that's not necessary. They're bicycles, for cryin' out loud. Makes no effin' difference which one you buy. "Post 10 miles"? That's ridiculous...

Just get the pretty one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Complete BS. I know nothing specifically about either bike, but that's not necessary. They're bicycles, for cryin' out loud. Makes no effin' difference which one you buy. "Post 10 miles"? That's ridiculous...

Just get the pretty one.
    Or maybe the one that fits ?

Assume you are scouring the net for A/B on them, just one example on the lower end offerings...

Road Bike Action Magazine: Cycling News, Product Reviews, Road Bike Test & Features, Race News and Much More!

Comfort? If you are than concerned about not being uncomfortable after 10 minutes of warming up, [notice how I worded that] get the Limo, the Domane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Just go with how they feel to you. As said, the bit about discomfort after 10 miles is total BS.

I would try another test ride but this time, if you didn't the first time, make sure the tires on each are inflated to the same pressure (if they are the same size) and I'd even go as far as ask to try them both this the same wheels and tires. Tires have the biggest impact on smooth, or not, ride so you'll want to remove that variable to compare frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    You're spending a lot of money and from your post you appear to be inexperienced in road cycling and bikes. The LBS sees you as a mark, IMO.

You state urgency for your purchase (buying within the week), so all I can suggest is riding both bikes on long test rides (25-30 miles minimum) and selecting the bike that feels best (this assuming they have both been properly set-up and fitted to you).

If you can't get a long test ride, then frankly, I'd allow yourself a cooling off period and look for another bike shop that will allow longer test rides and give you some better advice and support by focusing on your needs rather than their need to make a sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Just buy a regular road bike. Then go ride it hard and have fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    You're spending a lot of money and from your post you appear to be inexperienced in road cycling and bikes. The LBS sees you as a mark, IMO.

look for another bike shop that will allow longer test rides and give you some better advice and support by focusing on your needs rather than their need to make a sale.
    Take heed, that's good counsel. It's similar to much of the advice you got a year ago when you seemed to be in the exact same spot with a super deal based on a credit you bought from a friend. You story sure is smelling fishy.
    Last edited by ibericb; 11-19-2014 at 05:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    It's similar to much of the advice you got a year ago when you seemed to be in the exact same spot with a super deal based on a credit you bought from a friend. You story sure is smelling fishy.
    Good detective work. Time to move on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Good detective work. Time to move on.
    Yep. It's all vey strange. He has a history of the same thing over the past year.

First via his profile (joined 10/31/2013), he was looking for his first road bike.

In his apparent first post on the same day he joined, he stated he was "close to either picking up a 2014 Synapse Hi-Mod Black Inc. or a 2014 Trek Domane 6.9 Project One. ... "

That was followed by a post on 11/03/13 where he was looking a either the 6-series Domane or the Synapse Hio-Mod.

Then a post on 11/18/2013, where he was looking at a pair of Aeolus 5 wheel for his Domane.

Then comes this thread here, where he seems to be repeating his first two posts last year.

Weird, and completely unbelievable.
    Last edited by ibericb; 11-19-2014 at 03:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Sorry for the confusion. NOthing fishy. I really need / needed the advice. I'm likely placing my order the Domane 6 series today. Last year, I ended up buying a Madone, which is great but I'm still lusting for and feel like a need an endurance bike. So this will be my second one. Going with the Project One as I don't like the stock colors of the 6.2 and 6.9. But nothing fishy. Apologies for the confusion. I also got the Aeolus 5 wheels too, which is the reason I dont' want the 6.2 or 6.9 with disc brakes, since they don't mingle. Apologies if my need for advice bothered you or made you suspicious in any way??? What, you think I work for Trek, but I'm asking about Cannondale or vice versa??? Just a little indecisive over this. Everything you included in your last post is correct. I've been looking for the right ride for a year and think I've found it. Will decide if I sell or keep the Madone for future use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    No good detective work. Legitimate questions from last year are still on my mind this year. Same situation, but this time I have a bike from last year at home. But still lusting after a Domane or Synapse. I'm deciding today and the Domane will likely win out as it seems to be more compliant than the Domane and I already have a racier bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry for the confusion. NOthing fishy. I really need / needed the advice. I'm likely placing my order the Domane 6 series today. Last year, I ended up buying a Madone, which is great but I'm still lusting for and feel like a need an endurance bike. So this will be my second one.

Really? Funny, because a year ago you claimed it was a Domane, not a Madone.

Your credibility is about zero.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I traded it in. White / black 4 series. Wasn't feeling color or the lower series carbon. I also had a Cervelo S5 I returned. Is that a crime? Sorry, I offended you. If you want and you think Road Bike Review credibility will increase significantly, I can show you pics of all my receipts if that will make your day. Let me know. Feel sorry for you given you seem to worry about "credibility" on Internet forums. I solely come here looking for quick advice and worry about my credibility in real life. In store now, about to order my new endurance bike. I'll shoot you the receipt afterward and I have all my receipts from last year as well if you want. Hope you get some more likes / votes, so the green "reputation" by your name grows!!! I'll give you a like so you get another green box!!! I got what I wanted on this thread from the people who answered my question and thru several private messages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I traded it in. White / black 4 series. Wasn't feeling color or the lower series carbon. I also had a Cervelo S5 I returned.
    For someone who has owned a Domane 4 series and Cervelo S5, you seem awfully inexperienced or impatient in the buying/evaluation process. You bought a Domane even though you didn't care for the color or the lower series carbon?

Also, you seem to be receiving really poor service from your bike shop (or perhaps they're trying their best but are stymied by your approach to the process). If they asked enough questions, and if you were afforded a good opportunity to ride the bikes, then you would have been steered toward a bike that would have suited you for longer than a year.

Things don't add up here.

It wouldn't surprised me to see you author a similar thread a year from now.
    Last edited by tvad; 11-19-2014 at 03:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I have no experience with riding either one of these for a long distance, but the faster one will be the red one.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast