Talk to me about *wide* road shoes...
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

Talk to me about *wide* road shoes...

Not really wide, just a tad wider.
    I have a pair of Giro Ďnormalí width shoes, but my right foot cramps after 1/2 an hour or so. Anyone have any recommendations? I couldnít find any Pearl Izumiís in wide specific, anyone know how those fit compRed to Giro?
    Any thoughts on Shimano?
    Probably not going to go with NW (canít get a deal on them).
    Thanks in advance!
    And yes, I will try a ride tomorrow without the footbed or maybe a modified footbed...

acg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have a pair of Giro Ďnormalí width shoes, but my right foot cramps after 1/2 an hour or so. Anyone have any recommendations? I couldnít find any Pearl Izumiís in wide specific, anyone know how those fit compRed to Giro?
    Any thoughts on Shimano?
    Probably not going to go with NW (canít get a deal on them).
    Thanks in advance!
    And yes, I will try a ride tomorrow without the footbed or maybe a modified footbed...
    I have a few Sidi shoes with the wide versions. Their wide versions are have an additional "Mega" title added to their different show models. Sidi shoes have been very comfortable for me.
    Merlin Extralight Campy
    Airborne Lancaster XTR
    Planet X Uncle John Campy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Get yourself a pair of lake shoes like wearing Italian loafers

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like Shimano because they have a wide toe box, not cramped. They also have wide versions, but haven't tried them / don't need them.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The best fitting wide shoes are called "try-em-on before buying". Go to local bike shops and try them on. Unless you don't mind dealing with shipping time and return process of internet deals.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    The best fitting wide shoes are called "try-em-on before buying". Go to local bike shops and try them on. Unless you don't mind dealing with shipping time and return process of internet deals.
    If you can find anyone who stocks locally what you want.

Sidi (preferred road shoe)....no one within a 2-hour minimum round trip via Interstate drive stocks them. Same for Giro (new kicks for MTB/groading)--I'm actually not sure if anyone in my entire state stocks Giro shoes.....and for both, that is simply carrying the brand--nevermind stocking even my (common) size.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    The problem with that is my Giros fit PERFECTLY out of the box, they only hurt after a good bit of riding time. Maybe I will have the right shoe widened by a ski boot fitter, I have done that before with some Sidis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The problem with that is my Giros fit PERFECTLY out of the box, they only hurt after a good bit of riding time.
    Then find one that's slightly roomier than Giro when test fitting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Iíve had 3 different Shimano wide shoes, M087, R087 and XC7. The 087 series were a bit wider than the XCís, but the XC are still comfortable. Iíve a 4E foot.

Iíve also used the Lake MXZ303 wide winter shoes, that are nowhere as wide as the Shimano. Thus would not likely get another pair of Lakes. Sidiís are also very expensive all around, thus I stick to Shimano.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Then find one that's slightly roomier than Giro when test fitting.
    Nobody stocks decent road shoes locally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have not been able to find a cycling shoe in my size since the 1970s lol. size 15us now. I am finding I have to stick with Shimano for their roomy toe box (though my MTB shoes are Northwave Escape Evo and fit excellent) My other issue is heal clearance

I am riding some Lake shoes right now in a 50, but the toe box impinges on long rides, so likely to go back to shimano like I use in arizona
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 05-05-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I have not been able to find a cycling shoe in my size since the 1970s lol. size 15us now. I am finding I have to stick with Shimano for their roomy toe box (though my MTB shoes are Northwave Escape Evo and fit excellent) My other issue is heal clearance

I am riding some Lake shoes right now in a 50, but the toe box impinges on long rides, so likely to go back to shimano like I use in arizona
    Iím not sure if things have changed, but typically, Bont will do a ďsemi-customĒ for a small upcharge from a foot tracing. They will have literally, whatever you want. They will make you a shoe... As long as it isnít around foot molds they wonít charge you for fully customs. They get pricey... I havenít dealt with them lately, they seem to be getting less Mom and Pop from what I read...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Nobody stocks decent road shoes locally.
    Sorry to hear. In that case, Lake wide shoes are wide enough in my experience. I'm currently using Sidi Mega and it's the widest wide fit I've tried so far. The following is the width in wide fit, kind of wide to pretty wide.
    1. Shimano wide.
    2. Lake wide.
    3. Sidi Mega

When you buy online, make sure it's from a place with a decent return policy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I have a pretty wide foot and took a gamble on a pair of Bont riot+ order d online and they are the most comfortable shoe item have put on to date. I was using Shimano rc7 in a wide fit prior and these are light years better for me.
    i really like the bont shape with the wider front and rounded toe box. It just makes sense when comparing it to the shape of a foot.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I used to own Carnac shoes. Went through a couple pairs of them. They had a wide toe box. Owned a pair of Sidi Genius 3 or 4? Those were some narrow shoes. I suffered through an entire summer riding those awful shoes before dumping them. These days I have Shimano shoes. They come in a wide size and they fit my wide feet great. I doubt I'll ever buy anything else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Iím not sure if things have changed, but typically, Bont will do a ďsemi-customĒ for a small upcharge from a foot tracing. They will have literally, whatever you want. They will make you a shoe... As long as it isnít around foot molds they wonít charge you for fully customs. They get pricey... I havenít dealt with them lately, they seem to be getting less Mom and Pop from what I read...
    something to keep in mind although I am not keen to spend more than 200 on bike shoes. And I am pretty happy with my old Shimano and Northwave shoes for good fit. It's just the Lake road shoes I use most of the year which do not fit me well. I think I will order some Shimano RC7 dual-boa shoes to try out.

My Northwave MTB shoes had the soles almost completely fall off, but I saved them with Shoe Goo lol. amazing stuff, cause i subsequently used them in rain and mud all winter 2-3 times a week
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    I have a pretty wide foot and took a gamble on a pair of Bont riot+ order d online and they are the most comfortable shoe item have put on to date. I was using Shimano rc7 in a wide fit prior and these are light years better for me.
    i really like the bont shape with the wider front and rounded toe box. It just makes sense when comparing it to the shape of a foot.
    Smart. The demands of cycling shoes are pretty low. Bont is a speed-skating shoe maker where the demand is massive. Train in anything less than a perfect fit? You will develop permanent Haglundís Deformities. All speed-skaters have some level of them... But they can be bad and dramatic. ďPump Bump?Ē Inze and Alex know feet. You will see proof of that on trackies. I see a lot of Bonts on the track. Of course Wiggo won TdF on Vaypors... That started the boom for a tiny family company. The transition to cycling hasnít been entirely smooth. Their heart will always be first in in-line speed, a sport they launched. But the design will, IMO, always be head and shoulders better than groupo makers that dabble in shoes. What saves the groupo makers? The low level demand on cycling shoes. See trackies. They use good shoes.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't mind me, just here to drop a reco for NorthWave shoes.

I had a narrow pair of Mavic shoes which I ditched for a pair of tech'd up NorthWave shoes. They are wider in the toe box, wider through, stiff, light, BOA lacing (their own prop tech but similar and works well). My shoes are black/grey but glow at night when light up when hit with a beam of light. Construction and materials are all top notch.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    What width is your foot (taken with a Brannock device)?

I feel your pain... my local stores carry nearly nothing in my size and hence my long post about a very similar topic. My foot is a D width which makes it too wide for just about all normal width shoes.

After buying and selling/returning about 10 pairs of shoes this winter, I found that the Specialized Torch 2.0 Wide fits decently for my feet w/o totally breaking the bank. I got them from KylesBikes.com which has free return shipping (very important!) Always look for free return shipping if you can or else you might go broke in just paying return shipping fees

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Zappos has very simple company paid return option. https://www.zappos.com/cycling-shoes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Can all boot fitters accomplish this?