Tall Cyclists

Thread: Tall Cyclists

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Tall Cyclists

I just got into the sport of cycling and I am quickly realizing that finding anything that fits me in this sport (like most others with the exclusion of basketball haha) is quite difficult. Finding a bike was quite the adventure. Now that I have something that I can at least ride my question turns to apparel for tall guys.

I purchased a pair of cycling shorts but they really aren't all that comfortable. They slip down and I am realizing I should have just gotten a bib from the start. Does anyone have a recommendation for bib/jersey combos for taller cyclists like myself? Even just a brand recommendation will be great! Looking at the size charts does nothing because they don't even say the height on them.

For reference I am 6'7" tall and a slimmer build of about 195lbs.....

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 6-5 and a lot of bibs in XL size fit. You can always add a lenght of fabric to the straps for bit more room.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
    I'm 6-5 and a lot of bibs in XL size fit. You can always add a lenght of fabric to the straps for bit more room.
    Any you'd recommend that are the most comfortable/least dig in the shoulders?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I am 6'7" as well and have a very long torso. I go 240 but have a relatively trim 36" waist and about a 40" chest.

Craft Performance Bibs. I wear XL. Great bibs. Chamois is pretty thin, but I like it and have ridden a couple of centuries in them. No pain, no chafe. If you wait for them to go on sale, they are like $60. They last a long time.

Nashbar Errol jersey. I wear a Large-Tall. It isn't the best looking jersey on the market and the fabric doesn't breathe as well as some other jerseys that I have worn but it's actually long enough to fit like a normal bike jersey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebrann View Post
    I am 6'7" as well and have a very long torso. I go 240 but have a relatively trim 36" waist and about a 40" chest.

Craft Performance Bibs. I wear XL. Great bibs. Chamois is pretty thin, but I like it and have ridden a couple of centuries in them. No pain, no chafe. If you wait for them to go on sale, they are like $60. They last a long time.

Nashbar Errol jersey. I wear a Large-Tall. It isn't the best looking jersey on the market and the fabric doesn't breathe as well as some other jerseys that I have worn but it's actually long enough to fit like a normal bike jersey.
    Nice those bibs actually look pretty cool too! Thanks I might just be ordering one tonight haha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

I play for keeps
    6'5" - 185

Craft XL bibs have been good to me with no tailoring. I have some Pearl Izumi XL bibs that i'm not super happy with as the inseam is too long but they're comfy.

Don't be afraid to get your kits tailored, it's probably cheaper than you think. I get L jersey's so they are close to long enough but the sleeves and torso aren't tight enough in most brands so I get them taken in.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    I'm 6'7" tall. I like Voler bibs, but their jerseys run a little short for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    6'9" here and using Aero Tech Tall bibs. No problems. I haven't tried their Tall Jerseys yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Well dang! I was all set to chime in when I saw the thread title, but I'm a mere 6' 4". Looks like I'm a runt in this thread.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FindTheRiver View Post
    Well dang! I was all set to chime in when I saw the thread title, but I'm a mere 6' 4". Looks like I'm a runt in this thread.
    Me too. I'm a paltry 6'2". My growth must have been stunted somewhere along the way.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Great info!

Not a climber
    My gf's boss wants me to find him a used road bike so he can start cycling. He's 6'7" and 300 lbs. Pretty much impossible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    This:

Great price, great fit, and quality. I've got 2 of the bibs and the shorts, and 3 jerseys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    My gf's boss wants me to find him a used road bike so he can start cycling. He's 6'7" and 300 lbs. Pretty much impossible.
    Used...good luck lol

This thread has great info! I was hesitant to order some bibs but it seems most fit in an XL that are around my size so I will give the brands you guys suggest a shot. Thanks for all the help. Never knew there were so many tall cyclist like myself. Worst case scenario I just get the bib lengthened.

Ironbutt
    Nov 2001
    I'm 6'7" and wear Aero Tech bibs and tall jerseys. It is nice being able to reach the pockets on the jersey without wrenching my shoulder out of joint. When they say that their jerseys and shorts are sized for tall men they mean it.

i like whiskey
    6'5" here. Voler bibs are fine though the straps are a little narrow. Santini bibs are the most comfortable if you can find them. I have some LG and Descente bibs that fit very well too.

Whatever you do, don't get any Nalini's. They'll give you the serious camel toe. No thanks.

and dcorn, I have a 63cm Trek 2300 frameset I'd let go cheap. Frame, fork, headset for $100 + shipping. It's been well ridden but will hold up to the bosses size no issue. Send me a PM if interested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I just got my Aero Tech jersey for my birthday and it's great. It's about 4" longer than regular jerseys I have tried on. Quality is great and for $35, you can't complain about it especially it being made in the US.