Tall Guy looking for carbon options this summer
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015

Tall Guy looking for carbon options this summer

6'6" / 35.5" inseam. Currently have a 64cm steel Soma ES with setback seatpost. Love this bike, but would like something where I don't get murdered on hilly group rides. Prefer comfy over aero. Looking used since on budget.

A 64cm Specialized Roubaix seems like the ticket. Could I make a 61 work since 64s are pretty rare? Any other options?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    6'6" / 35.5" inseam. Currently have a 64cm steel Soma ES with setback seatpost. Love this bike, but would like something where I don't get murdered on hilly group rides. Prefer comfy over aero. Looking used since on budget.

A 64cm Specialized Roubaix seems like the ticket. Could I make a 61 work since 64s are pretty rare? Any other options?
    I’m not sure about the sizing on the Roubaix, but I know Piermont Bikes out of the NJ/NY area has some awesome deals on new and used bikes. I would check out their eBay store and see what they have in your size. Lots of different brands are available.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It also looks like the Trek Superstore has a few options in 64cm, including an Emonda SL, which should be a great climbing bike. Good price too.

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...74/?rb_sz=64cm
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    @333
    Nice to see someone post an inquiry and state all pertinent information about themselves at the beginning. Way to go!

My experience with test rides on several models of 2019 Specialized Roubaix’s 55/56 is they tend to run small at 54.
    I wasn’t to happy with the thought of needing to size up.
    (Also felt sluggish and jiggly).
    Although it may be an improvement over your current bike, Imop these are not a “keep up “ type of bike.

Correction: Bikes were from year 2018.
    Not to my liking, but may suit your needs.
    Last edited by rudge66; 01-15-2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: correction

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and I fit very well on a 62mm Trek Domane. It was pretty easy to dial in my fit.
    Word of the week: acquitted:
    The Democrats should "acquitted" when they were ahead.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

RoadBikeReview Member

At 6'6", a 64cm frame would fit you best overall. While you may be able to make a 61/62cm frame work, you would need to adjust most of the available parts to their max. But it depends on the fit you're looking for. If you really like an aggressive posture and/or plan to race, the smaller frame size would suit you well. For overall comfort and day-to-day riding, the 64cm would be my suggestion.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Love this bike, but would like something where I don't get murdered on hilly group rides. Prefer comfy over aero. Looking used since on budget.
    At 6' 6" you're probably not the lightest thing on two wheels so dropping a pound or two of the frame will be a really small percentage of overall weight.
    Do some research on actual time gains from dropping weight. I doubt you'll find the numbers worth spending money to get rid of a bike you love.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    At 6' 6" you're probably not the lightest thing on two wheels so dropping a pound or two of the frame will be a really small percentage of overall weight.
    Do some research on actual time gains from dropping weight. I doubt you'll find the numbers worth spending money to get rid of a bike you love.
    Yeah, I’m guessing that getting help climbing from this weight savings isn’t going to be noticeable. That said, you could drop serious weight, that Steelie could be 23+lbs and it’s replacement could be 17. 5 lbs is a lot. Without rider weight it’s hard to know if that is worth anything on a climb. That said, that kind of weight difference will make a noticeable difference in accelerations.

OP, that’s a pants inseam right? If that’s a cycling inseam you got no legs, haha.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    OP, that’s a pants inseam right? If that’s a cycling inseam you got no legs, haha.
    Yep mostly torso lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    @333
    Although it may be an improvement over your current bike, Imop these are not a “keep up “ type of bike.
    Hmm what do you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    For overall comfort and day-to-day riding, the 64cm would be my suggestion.
    Thanks! I'm still thinking about a 66cm Soma Fogcutter too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Hmm. thanks for the advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep mostly torso lol
    Haha, me too. 6’2” with a 31” inseam for pants.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    but would like something where I don't get murdered on hilly group rides.
    Based on a fair bit of research, you will get more speed on hills from a bike that can synch with your riding style than from a couple of pounds saved. Shaving 2 lbs might give you 0.2 mph climbing speed. A bike that rides like dead wood would cost you more than that. You're going to want to ride some bikes and see what works for you rather than just looking at spec. sheet numbers.