Tarmac/Emonda or Roubiax/Domane - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanthetrble View Post
    Have fun riding them! You will likely be amazed at the improvements in technology over your old bike. Too bad the price tag is sometimes more than a bit shocking!
    Thanks!
    I can imagine. Looking forward it!

RoadBikeReview Member

Emonda

I've rented a Domane several times in Hawaii and also ridden one on a tour in Tuscany. It feels much slower than my Madonne six series. You don't buy a new bike very often so it's worth it to get a good one. DuraAce is nicer than Ultegra. The Emonda is a hill climbing special so it would be good for the terrain you describe. Most riders replace the seat on a new bike eventually with one that they like anyway but the Bontrager seat might be good. The Emonda would probably come with an un-cut steering tube so you would be able to get the bar height you want.

I haven't ridden the the Tarmac but generally I would go for the Tarmac or Emonda, not the heavier bikes.

It's very important to buy a bike that is the right size. Look at the manufacturer's site for sizing and also talk to the dealer.

Also I like Shimano better than SRAM.
    Last edited by Tlaloc; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:44 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    First day was 4.21. Cool shop, very busy. Mostly mountain bike stuff. I'm learning a lot even after 25 years.
    Ahhh, so that's why your "I work for some racers" autosig changed.

What made you leave the Trek store?
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Ahhh, so that's why your "I work for some racers" autosig changed.

What made you leave the Trek store?
    Too much corporate BS. Reports, numbers, do this...do that...that's not why we work in bike shops. Let the store manager deal w/ that crap, don't make the mechanics do it.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Too much corporate BS. Reports, numbers, do this...do that...that's not why we work in bike shops. Let the store manager deal w/ that crap, don't make the mechanics do it.
    Yikes. Sounds like you made the right decision to get out and move on.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

banned
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc401 View Post
    ...or maybe a Schwinn Hybrid
    I don't think you belong on a Tarmac or an Emonda.

Seem's like your on a search for comfort. And we all know where comfort leads.

Soon you won't be riding drops or standing.

So I'd suggest you buy the bike with comfort in mind.
    You know 32mm tires.. jiggly parts , that kinda thing.
    So Tarmac is a no for you
    ...unless you want to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's because you were a Trek owned store and not just a Trek dealer, correct? I've written off the annual CI events....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Hello again all & happy Friday.
    So, the lbs that has the 2020 trek domane sl6 called me and said ďI know youíve been interested in this bike. So I just wanted to let you know weíve dropped the price on it by $500.
    Would you think? Does that change the thought process here? Does it become a no-brainer now? Itís a good looking bike and the secret tool compartment is definitely a selling point. But I still havenít ridden anything yet.

Btw, the whole weight debate thing (endurance bikes are heavier shudnt matter b/c we could all afford to lose a few pounds ourselves) doesnít really apply to me. 192 pounds is about as low as I can go. If I train harder or ride a heavier bike, Iíll prob gain due to leg muscle.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Hello again all & happy Friday.
    So, the lbs that has the 2020 trek domane sl6 called me and said ďI know youíve been interested in this bike. So I just wanted to let you know weíve dropped the price on it by $500.
    Would you think? Does that change the thought process here? Does it become a no-brainer now? Itís a good looking bike and the secret tool compartment is definitely a selling point. But I still havenít ridden anything yet.

Btw, the whole weight debate thing (endurance bikes are heavier shudnt matter b/c we could all afford to lose a few pounds ourselves) doesnít really apply to me. 192 pounds is about as low as I can go. If I train harder or ride a heavier bike, Iíll prob gain due to leg muscle.
    $7,500 for a bike is still way, way too much IMHO. But hey, if it's your only chance for a test ride, take the test ride, then see if you can order the more reasonably priced version from them.

I agree the whole weight thing is way overblown.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    That's because you were a Trek owned store and not just a Trek dealer, correct? I've written off the annual CI events....
    Yeah, I'm sure it was worse because that store is Trek owned. 'CI'...yeah.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    As is the whole "aero" thing. That big blob sitting on the saddle will likely negate any aero advantage from the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    $7,500 for a bike is still way, way too much IMHO. But hey, if it's your only chance for a test ride, take the test ride, then see if you can order the more reasonably priced version from them.

I agree the whole weight thing is way overblown.
    Hi Lombard. Sorry, I confused you. The Domane thatís been reduced in price is the sl6. MSRP of about $3700 = the one Iím considering.
    The $8,000 Domane is at the lbs where the trek emonda sl6 pro is (with rim-brakes btw). I planned on test riding it just so I can compare lightweight vs endurance in one location (altho the $8k Domane is prob pretty light).
    Agreed, way too much $$. At least for me, it is.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Hi Lombard. Sorry, I confused you. The Domane thatís been reduced in price is the sl6. MSRP of about $3700 = the one Iím considering.
    OK, got it.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My 32 year old son bought a 2020 Roubaix Sport in July for $2500 (marked down from $2800) and he loves it. 105 brakes, shifters/der, Praxxas cranks, DT Swiss wheelset. He actually likes the Future Shock and suspension seat post and put some 32c tires on it. Longest ride has only been 65 miles but he's very happy with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I was on the same quest last year. I had decided on a Tarmac in 58, but even last summer they were all sold out. I was stuck at the tail end of a model/year cycle and the new ones werenít coming out for a few months. And I ďneededĒ a new bike.

So I did more looking and found the Felt lineup. My first road bike was a Felt, but never considered them until I ďhadĒ to. I was between the FR and VR and went with the VR (Feltís version of the Domane/Roubaix). Happy I did. Sometimes I wish I went with the FR, but I think because that is my ego talking since the FR is racier. The VR is perfect for me and my needs when you ignore the other stuff. For $4k, I got a disc brake, carbon fiber, Ultegra bike with Reynolds carbon wheels.

It would be worth a look at the very least.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    My 32 year old son bought a 2020 Roubaix Sport in July for $2500 (marked down from $2800) and he loves it. 105 brakes, shifters/der, Praxxas cranks, DT Swiss wheelset. He actually likes the Future Shock and suspension seat post and put some 32c tires on it. Longest ride has only been 65 miles but he's very happy with it.
    Cool! Thatís good to know. Thanks. 65 miles, though? Thatís pretty impressive to me! I never ridden more than 50.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    If you don't race I don't see the reason to buy a light weight race bike to sacrifice comfort.

At 27 I had an Emonda SLR, at 30 I got a Domane SLR, and at 35 I now have a Roubaix with future shock. The Domane was too small for me but I think if they had a larger frame that fit me that would be my choice over the Roubaix. The ISO decoupler feels a little more subtle and it feels more confident cornering than the Roubaix. But the Roubaix is the road bike to truly fit my 6'6" frame and as a result it's the most comfortable bike I've ever had and wouldn't trade it for anything that's currently on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    If you don't race I don't see the reason to buy a light weight race bike to sacrifice comfort.

At 27 I had an Emonda SLR, at 30 I got a Domane SLR, and at 35 I now have a Roubaix with future shock. The Domane was too small for me but I think if they had a larger frame that fit me that would be my choice over the Roubaix. The ISO decoupler feels a little more subtle and it feels more confident cornering than the Roubaix. But the Roubaix is the road bike to truly fit my 6'6" frame and as a result it's the most comfortable bike I've ever had and wouldn't trade it for anything that's currently on the market.
    Hell, even if you do race I don't really see the need for an uncomfortable bike.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post

Just curious. Did you switch to the endurance bikes because you werenít as flexible anymore? Or, you just wanted a more supple ride? One reason Iíve been torn is I have the flexibility for the emonda/tarmac style bikes (Iím flexible enough to touch the ground without bending my knees and with my palms flat on the ground). But, I figure it might be time to be kind to my 46 yr old joints.
    Iím thinking, 30 inch tires with low psi for the Supple ride. Or, does the iso-speed and future-shock help that much more?

Road Warrior
    I lived in a hilly area/Pittsburgh and found that the majority of roads are rough so comfort is a big issue for me. I tried several bikes and bought the Domane SLR. True its not the lightest bike or a great climber but it seems to smooth out most of the road chatter that wears you out on longer rides. I would also suggest buying disks rather than rims due to better braking and the possibility to install wider tires if the need arises.

Good luck and best of rides..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    I lived in a hilly area/Pittsburgh and found that the majority of roads are rough so comfort is a big issue for me. I tried several bikes and bought the Domane SLR. True its not the lightest bike or a great climber but it seems to smooth out most of the road chatter that wears you out on longer rides. I would also suggest buying disks rather than rims due to better braking and the possibility to install wider tires if the need arises.

Good luck and best of rides..
    The Domane slr is a pretty sweet bike, actually. If youíre talking about the slr7, looks like itís approx 2 pounds lighter then the sl6 Iíve been looking at.

Thatís based on this site:
    https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=t...;*z.58cm|w.700

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Hi all,
    So I decided to go to all the bike shops to check them all out! Hereís the rundown:
    - The Trek Domane had the longer seat tube which was an inch too long. They told me the short seat tube would cost me an extra $300 and wouldnít be available till November! So thatís out.
    - The Trek Emonda had a chip on the seat tube and scratches all over the chain stay and they wouldnít offer more than $200 off for that. So, thatís out.
    - The Specialized Tarmac sold b/c I waited to long.
    - That leaves the Specialized Roubiax as the last remaining bike in my size in all of CT. The test ride was real nice. I put a deposit on it so I could think about it for a couple days. Iím not convinced I like the color. What do you guys think? Itís the Roubiax Comp in gloss clay/chameleon. Iíd prefer the satin smoke/carbon color. But that wonít be available until March.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Thatís a great bike. It would give you years of service as a fast, comfortable every day rider. Itís perfect for your situation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Thatís a great bike. It would give you years of service as a fast, comfortable every day rider. Itís perfect for your situation.
    I agree. No objection to the off-white color, though?

Banned Sock Puppet
    I agree. No objection to the off-white color, though?

Contrary to popular belief, there aren't any colors that are faster than others.

If you like the way the bike feels and rides, grab it!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast