Tarmac/Emonda or Roubiax/Domane - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc401 View Post
    I agree. No objection to the off-white color, though?
    I may not be the best guy to ask.

A few months ago I was in the market for a gravel bike. Deliveries on the Salsa Warbird I wanted suddenly went out to March, 2021. My local Trek shop got a shipment of Checkpoints in and I asked them to build one in my size. I rode it, liked it, bought it.

Itís an inoffensive blue color. I spent 10 seconds wondering if I should wait for one of the other two available colors to come in. The MSRP went up $800 within a couple of weeks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Iím not convinced I like the color. What do you guys think?
    From a practical application point of view the color is the least important deciding factor. However, for a lot of people, it often ends up being very important. Will you always wish you had a different color? Only you know how much importance color will have to your enjoyment of the bike.

I will say, I've had a white bike and it was a pain (to me) to keep it looking clean. The black dust that gets spotted on the bike always made it look pretty bad. Maybe the off white color is better than stark white, but give it some thought. Does a dirty looking bike bother you? Do you enjoy cleaning your bike often? White would be my last choice and I'd choose to wait for another color.

I also currently have 3 black bikes. Two are glossy and one is matte. After sitting even for just a day, the glossy ones always show a fine layer of dust on them due to the glossiness. They need a quick wipe with a dust cloth to look the best. The matte one is the cleanest looking one without having to do much. I rarely wipe it down except after getting caught in the rain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I may not be the best guy to ask.

A few months ago I was in the market for a gravel bike. Deliveries on the Salsa Warbird I wanted suddenly went out to March, 2021. My local Trek shop got a shipment of Checkpoints in and I asked them to build one in my size. I rode it, liked it, bought it.

Itís an inoffensive blue color. I spent 10 seconds wondering if I should wait for one of the other two available colors to come in. The MSRP went up $800 within a couple of weeks.
    Iím impressed. I can only wish I could make decisions that quick! Lol Well done avoiding that price hike, too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    From a practical application point of view the color is the least important deciding factor. However, for a lot of people, it often ends up being very important. Will you always wish you had a different color? Only you know how much importance color will have to your enjoyment of the bike.

I will say, I've had a white bike and it was a pain (to me) to keep it looking clean. The black dust that gets spotted on the bike always made it look pretty bad. Maybe the off white color is better than stark white, but give it some thought. Does a dirty looking bike bother you? Do you enjoy cleaning your bike often? White would be my last choice and I'd choose to wait for another color.

I also currently have 3 black bikes. Two are glossy and one is matte. After sitting even for just a day, the glossy ones always show a fine layer of dust on them due to the glossiness. They need a quick wipe with a dust cloth to look the best. The matte one is the cleanest looking one without having to do much. I rarely wipe it down except after getting caught in the rain.
    Shoot! The cleaning part never crossed my mind! I clean the components and chain stay almost every other time I ride because I can feel how different the shifting changes when itís dirty. I clean the whole bike every other week. So, this could be a problem!
    The satin smoke/carbon will be available in March, as long as there arenít any setbacks. With 3 months between now and then being too cold to ride, maybe I could just wait and keep riding what I have for now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ... I'd want 32mm tires minimum. I weigh 170 and use roughly 60psi rear/50 front w/ that size tire.
    Curious. Why a 32mm tire?

I had some 4KII 28mm that ballooned to 30mm and did ride really nice. I removed them in favor of the 5K 28mm tires.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
    '12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
    Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Too much corporate BS. Reports, numbers, do this...do that...that's not why we work in bike shops. Let the store manager deal w/ that crap, don't make the mechanics do it.
    Exactly, let the pencil pushers handle that stuff.

Corporate probably did require the managers to do it, but they are too damn lazy thinking they don't have time and delegate that work down. Shiiisters.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Exactly. Classic corporate Catch22...they want to see more service $ but give you a bunch of crap to do that keeps you from making more service $.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Hi all,
    So I decided to go to all the bike shops to check them all out! Hereís the rundown:
    - The Trek Domane had the longer seat tube which was an inch too long. They told me the short seat tube would cost me an extra $300 and wouldnít be available till November! So thatís out.
    - The Trek Emonda had a chip on the seat tube and scratches all over the chain stay and they wouldnít offer more than $200 off for that. So, thatís out.
    - The Specialized Tarmac sold b/c I waited to long.
    - That leaves the Specialized Roubiax as the last remaining bike in my size in all of CT. The test ride was real nice. I put a deposit on it so I could think about it for a couple days. Iím not convinced I like the color. What do you guys think? Itís the Roubiax Comp in gloss clay/chameleon. Iíd prefer the satin smoke/carbon color. But that wonít be available until March.
    When I spend my money I get want, but bike companies don't always have the color schemes I like, which is why I went the custom paint for my Emonda. I won't settle for anything because it's cheaper. I want what I want and if it costs a few bucks more, so be it. If you will constantly question the color and that will always be in the back of your mind, I'd say hold off until they have what you want. Hell, at least it doesn't have 20+ Trek logos all over the bike like my '12 Madone. I will be getting this thing painted soon with no logos on it.

Just One Man's Opinion...

Banned Sock Puppet
    Exactly. Classic corporate Catch22...they want to see more service $ but give you a bunch of crap to do that keeps you from making more service $.
    I remember the time my boss gave me two tasks which were impossible to complete in one day. I asked him which of the two jobs he he wanted me to complete. His answer was a sarcastic "yes". I made sure I didn't complete either one. He never pulled that [email protected] again.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I remember the time my boss gave me two tasks which were impossible to complete in one day. I asked him which of the two jobs he he wanted me to complete. His answer was a sarcastic "yes". I made sure I didn't complete either one. He never pulled that [email protected] again.
    I love when they say they needed "ASAP." Their ASAP is different than mine. If they want it a certain, they better tell me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    What you heard about bigger tires is correct. I'd never go over or even to 100...I'd use 90 in 23mm tires if I was loopy enough to ride them. You can drop 10 psi for ever tire size you go up to maintain the same feel. The thing is as you go to bigger tires you can drop even a little more pressure because you have so much more air volume. 120psi is crazy even on 23mm tires.
    Also, pay no attention to rudge, he thinks everyone should fit on their bike the same way and if they can't they should work on it til they can.

The way most recreational riders will set up a Tarmac or Emonda is not exactly 'racy'. They could probably get the same fit on either a Roubaix or a Domane, or get close enough it wouldn't matter. I worked for Trek for years, now I work for a shop that sells a ton of Specialized. I honestly like all the bikes, but the Future Shock still bugs me. If it doesn't bother you and you like the rest of what a Roubaix brings to the table, go for it. I'd want 32mm tires minimum. I weigh 170 and use roughly 60psi rear/50 front w/ that size tire.
    I'm interested on your take regarding the Future Shock retention mechanism. The fact that it's held to the fork by a narrow metal band with a single small bolt seems likely to cause a pretty nasty crash if one of those failed. I know there was a recall and they changed the material and mounting instructions but I'm still not 100% sold that's its fail-proof.

Envoyť de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123