Texters injured while cycling, walking, rollerblading.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Texters injured while cycling, walking, rollerblading.

Hi All,

I just came across a story on msnbc.com that I thought would be of interest to the readers of this forum. It seems some people are starting to come into emergency rooms around the country with injuries sustained while texting and participating in other activities such as cycling, walking, and rollerblading, etc. This photo also appears along with the story. Here is the link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25934644/

Later,

Jay B.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treker
    'It is a good day to ride."

No team-cest unless 8+!
    hahaha.

Is it bad that I find that funny? I mean, I guess its just like driving and txting, but the consequences for doing that are much worse, so its hard to find it funny. But walking and txting? lol.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Let’s blame technology! Yeah!

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Surprise?????????????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Let’s blame technology! Yeah!
    It's not technology that's to blame, it's how stupid people choose to use it. People have been doing this kind of stuff for years. It's no worse than eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, etc. Of course in this case most of the story focuses on walking, cycling, etc while texting.

I have often wondered about how people perceive relative risk. They may be totally afraid of flying (very low relative risk), while that same person will text and drive (very high relative risk) and think nothing of it. Go figure...

Later,

Jay B.
    Treker

Call me a Fred
    The cops need to Tazer them. That'l teach em.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

What up, dog?
    Nature is evening the score. Good!! We need more "Darwin" around here. Too many stupid people are being given the means to live - thanks, lawyers.

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treker
    I have often wondered about how people perceive relative risk. They may be totally afraid of flying (very low relative risk), while that same person will text and drive (very high relative risk) and think nothing of it. Go figure...
    There is a HUGE body of research on the topic of perceived risk. I doubt you'll get to the fulltext of lots of the articles, but if you do a search on Google Scholar you'll see what I'm talking about.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Am I evil for finding this funny?

Dec 2002
    FWIW, I watched Paolo Bettini sit at the back of the bunch at the ToC in '07 and text away and a bit later watched Rock Racing's Rashaan Bahati (sorry if mis-spelled) text while riding at the ADP Velodrome. The Bettini thing cracked me up...

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Quote Originally Posted by Treker
    It's not technology that's to blame, it's how stupid people choose to use it. People have been doing this kind of stuff for years. It's no worse than eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, etc. Of course in this case most of the story focuses on walking, cycling, etc while texting.

Later,

Jay B.
    Are you sure??? But technology is OUR CRUNCHY SAVIOUR!!!!!111ELEVENTY!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!

I’m going to bet 1,000,000,000,GAGIGGITY,000 dollhairs that you’re 10000001% wrongz.

banned
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker
    Nature is evening the score. Good!! We need more "Darwin" around here. Too many stupid people are being given the means to live - thanks, lawyers.
    Exactly my thinking. God help the planet if these people breed. Makes me wonder about castration for the survivors?

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Are you sure??? But technology is OUR CRUNCHY SAVIOUR!!!!!111ELEVENTY!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!

I’m going to bet 1,000,000,000,GAGIGGITY,000 dollhairs that you’re 10000001% wrongz.
    dude. what the crap are you on?

stop taking it. really.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzer2424
    dude. what the crap are you on?

stop taking it. really.
    It sounded as though the guy really thought I was serious in blaming technology, so I played the “asshat” card. Yeah, you’re right, I guess that really belongs in our (yours and mine, don’t deny it) favorite forum, “The Lounge”—where men are men and sheep are scared. LOL

waterproof*
    Heck I've done all kinds of unsafe things whilst riding. Texting is just another form of addiction.

Oh and p.s. I'm stealing that pic as a perfect example of a hipster doofus.
    * not actually a Rock Star

No team-cest unless 8+!
    “The Lounge”—where men are men and sheep are scared. LOL
    That's Scotland, buddy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I scratched up a SRAM Red shifter due to a 'texting' accident. :/

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Think again.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo
    Exactly my thinking. God help the planet if these people breed. Makes me wonder about castration for the survivors?
    You could make a good argument for including yourself in "these people" if you bicyle on public roads. Entrusting your life to texting SUV drivers could well be considered as, well, not very smart. I sure hope no one castrates you or me should we get hit and survive.

banned
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    You could make a good argument for including yourself in "these people" if you bicyle on public roads. Entrusting your life to texting SUV drivers could well be considered as, well, not very smart. I sure hope no one castrates you or me should we get hit and survive.
    I guess it is middle aged "SUV" drivers that text while driving? I thought it was teen age girls in Honda Civics. Actually, Mother has already cleaned the gene pool of a lot of those drivers who text.

Chance of dying from not getting exercise is far higher than from being hit by a car! Yes, I know I could drive to the gym and run on the tread mill or drive to a mountain biking location. Trouble is, I might encounter a mutant texter in a Honda Civic. On the other hand, my suv will serve as chlorine in that case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    The texting is stupid, but it must be nice to be able to ride to work wearing that and actually arrive clean and comfortable.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    A brakeless fixed gear, no helmet and text messaging.....

A friggin genius
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Apr 2002
    [email protected] em.

I know for a fact that I'm jaded on the issue, after living in Boston/Cambridge MA for 7 years now. People wandering on foot or in the saddle out into the street, right out in front of me while I'm moving right along, or riding down a pretty steep hill... babbling away, or texting, or doing something else completely ridiculous. I've almost run into so many of these silly little cretins that I should just start clotheslining them as I go by, just to lower my own blood pressure. Sometimes they stare at me with empty headed cow eyes, I guess assuming that if they can see that I can see them, that it'll somehow alter the laws of physics enough for me to swerve safely out into traffic at speed to avoid them... Other times they're completely oblivious. They don't seem to understand sometimes that it's not really like locking eyes with motorists on the road. Just because I can see you doesn't mean I have a safe way to stop that quickly, or a place to go. Sometimes I do, but the truth is that in their case, all they have to do is pay enough attention to stop walking for 2 seconds, to let me by. I guess the old adage of "look both ways," has gone right out the window.

All of em, they seem to think they're ostriches. Head in the silicon sands, as long as they can't see you, it'll all be ok, because then it's not their fault. And if it's not their fault, nothing bad can happen.

It's actually turned into one of those private "man, you know what I'd do," fantasies of mine... riding past some empty headed college idiot who's halfway into traffic, and snatching their phone away as I ride by, so I can tell whoever they were talking to that "your friend has no sense of self preservation," right before I throw the phone under the wheels of a bus.

I'm all for letting a few of em get turned into street pizza, if for no other reason than to send a message to their friends.

Problem is, I think they'd end up getting the message via text message, from the middle of the street.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

texting hazard

About five miles of my work commute is on a 5' wide bike path. Last week, on two separate occasions, I had to shout at oncoming, texting riders to get their attention to avoid a collision. Shouldn't these people be driving cars?!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenspd
    About five miles of my work commute is on a 5' wide bike path. Last week, on two separate occasions, I had to shout at oncoming, texting riders to get their attention to avoid a collision. Shouldn't these people be driving cars?!
    Go to the hardware store and buy several 1/2" wooden dowels of about 2' in length. Carry them with you when you ride, and stick them in the spokes of the texting rider as they pass. They won't know what hit 'em... It should hopefully teach them not to "text and ride" in the future.

Of course, you wouldn't actually do this, but it sure would be fun to see the looks on their faces as they are trying to figure out what happened.
    Treker