Thanks for the support all! finally got my new road bike!

May 2007

Thanks for the support all! finally got my new road bike!

Thanks for all the advices guys! I've finally picked up my road bike.

Here are some pictures. As everyone "instructed" on others, I have removed the reflector on the wheels and seat post. I just saw another post for the bashing on cassette protector..... here is mine! + my gf tassajara

plus pics of my car with my new bike rack. I just had to go all out!

any suggestion on my new bike!?

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's the same bike I bought last year! Except mine has OCLV carbon stays instead of TCT, and the dork disk was clear instead of black.

It's a pretty sweet bike though. I've gotten about 1700 miles on mine, and everything is as solid as a rock on it still.

Good choice!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Enjoy!
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

confirmed masher
    looks pretty good... for a Twreck... ;) jk

I like the look, does it ride as good as it looks??

Feb 2007
    nice bike, nice car

Yippidy Dippity
    It's pretty

May 2007
    Thanks for the compliments and comments.

It does ride very smooth and nice. I was debating between Felt, Lemond Alpe D'huez and this model. I really hated the experience at local bike shop with Felts. It was battle between lemond and trek and I decided to go with Trek as it was bit cheaper plus I really liked the look of it. I haven't been any other higher end bikes but I definitely did like it over rides on the trek 1500.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Congrats on the bike. Looks great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is that your first road bike? Regardless, it is a nice one.

"Warning" beware of garage, don't drive bike into garage. Many have done it.

Good Luck
    JGUTZ

POGUE MAHONE
    Mar 2007
    In a few weeks you'll look at your bike and wonder how can I make in lighter
    I did my Trek 5000 like this... pedals Look sprints... tires Rubino Pros...seat San marco Caymono.... all that was almost a pound! Now if I could just get some Neuvation wheels in Canada I would be down another pound!

Just kidding! the parts on that bike will last you years, have fun.
    My kickstand is busted.

May 2007
    Yes it is my first road bike. I made a little hanger with lanyard to hang my garage opener everytime I go out and ride. I always open my sunroof everytime I put my bike on top also..

I've seen pictures of people runnign into garage and it's no FUN!

thanks for the comments!

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Congatulations, very pretty bike! Leave the dork disk on for a while and have some fun. It's a great cloaking device on group rides—makes people think you're slow even if you're not . . .

Small suggestion: pull up the left-hand (front derailleur) shifter cable loop so it's above and supported by the right-hand loop. You want the cable to leave the shifter at 90 degrees, not at an angle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Interesting. I'll have to check my cables tonight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

trek

i'm guessing if you've ridden it yet, you can't wait to ride it again. congrats on the new ride.

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    Congatulations, very pretty bike! Leave the dork disk on for a while and have some fun. It's a great cloaking device on group rides—makes people think you're slow even if you're not . . .

Small suggestion: pull up the left-hand (front derailleur) shifter cable loop so it's above and supported by the right-hand loop. You want the cable to leave the shifter at 90 degrees, not at an angle.
    thanks for the advice! I'm still wondering what the "dork plate" does and why people say to take it off? could you please explain?

fixed the cable, thanks!

POGUE MAHONE
    Mar 2007
    It keeps your RD out of the spokes. Of course as long as your RD is adjusted properly its not required.
    My kickstand is busted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

I'ts fun to see someone new joining the sport

Congrats on your new ride, very nice, nice car too! A friend of mine at work just got a new bike so he had to show me out at the bike rack. He was very proud of his "race bike". I gave him the advice about the reflectors and the dork disk but I said the things that absolutely must go are the plastic adapters that are attatched to the pedals to enable people without cycling shoes to test ride the bike at the store. Anyway it's great to see new folks so enthusiastic. Many happy miles to you.
    " He was so ticked off, he live-birthed a litter of warthogs and sicced 'em on those guys."

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Long-winded explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by ex2k4
    thanks for the advice! I'm still wondering what the "dork plate" does and why people say to take it off? could you please explain?
    The "dork disk" is also known as a spoke protector. Without it, a chain jumping off the largest rear cog could wedge itself between the cog and the hub flange, damaging the spoke heads and possibly the hub flange. A wedged chain could also kick the derailleur around backwards, damaging it, have it damage the spokes further out from the hub and possibly the frame's seatstay and/or chainstay.

Most so-called serious cyclist make sure that the chain will never jump off the largest rear cog. They do that by learning how to adjust the appropriate limit screw of their rear derailleur and checking that adjustment from time to time. They believe they don't need a spoke protector and take it off. Because of that, the absence of a spoke protector has generally come to mean "serious cyclist."

But of course, there are always exceptions and nuances. I've seen very fast, smooth and experienced riders who were too lazy and unconcerned about their image to take their dork disk off, just as there are beginners who insist to have theirs taken before they leave the bike shop with their new bike. Your bike being new and all that, I'd leave the thing on until everything on your bike had time to bed in just so, and you've had a chance to become familiar with some basic adjustments.