There goes the neighborhood... cycling goes mainstream
    scruffy nerf herder

There goes the neighborhood... cycling goes mainstream

Ok... I must admit, I am a sports fan, but first an avid cyclist. One of my annual gifts from my inlaws is a yearly subscription to Sports Illustrated. Aside from the semi-annual love fest for Lance Armstrong, and a few snippets here and there throughout the year, there is basically no real love for the sport. Did ANYONE see this months issue? Its a freaking cycling love fest for cyclists NOT named Lance. Im not quite sure what to think. If you dont want to look for yourself, here is what I mean...

1. Page 42, "My Locked-Out Life, Changing Gears" A story about an out of work hockey player who has taken up cycling and is kicking butt in Boulder.

2. Page A3 (Not really "cycling" per se, but a whole article on Dave Mirra the infamous bmx freestyle star.

3. Page A13: Two quips on who is hot and who is not. Ironically, the IN is Tom Danielson, dubbed the next big thing in US Cycling, the OUT is Ivan Basso for dropping out of contention in the Giro. I just think it funny as Basso just won a stage, and Danielson has been gone for over a week. Silly.

4. Page A15, ad witha cyclist in the mtns

5. Page A16. The Tyler Hamilton saga....entitled Bad Blood, where they give an arguably decent description of the Tyler situation, and have subtly taken the "yeah right" opinion of Tyler's chimera defense.

So, I just think it really interesting to see the "lance effect"
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Strained coccyx etc etc
    they'd better cash in while they can, next year america will be saying "lance who?"...
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

a Freds Fred
    As an avid Hockey fan I suffered years of indignity by having playoff games pre-empted by programs like celebrity pocker matches, or professional dodge-ball! I'd love to see cycling go mainstream. If you don't have OLN, you don't see pro cycling anywhere other than the internet. Any covererage is great coverage. Besides, if Armstrong loses # 7 and Danielson has a lackluster season, watch the coverage go bye-bye. Possibly even being dropped by OLN.

A Canadian in Sweden
    Sorry to write, but SI will always be a baseball, football, basketball and "Go USA at the Olympics" magazine and nothing else. Pursuits like cycling and hockey will unfortunately never be mainstream enough for the majority of American sport fans. The US has baseball, football (albeit American football) and basketball, Canada has hockey, and Europe has cycling and football (which some here in Europe claim as real football ;))

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Don't worry, until gas prices get truly high, cycling will never be mainstream enough in the US for SI to pay consistant attention.

BTW: BMX is cycling too, I wouldn't be suprised if Mirra could spank most roadie local heros. Lets not put up more barriers between those who love to pedal.

In Blue America

Talking Who wants mainstream?

That's an interesting observation about the recent SI. I also subscribe, and expect coverage of the "big 3" American sports you mention. A few mentions of pro cycling is always kind of nice. We are coming up on that dead period in the summer when there is nothing but major league baseball to report on, so look for other stories. I could care less about golf, but the writing is usually very good so I might read a golf story now and then. What irks me is the coverage NASCAR is getting, with its own "inside racing" section. That's mainstream? What's happening?
    Uh oh, I may have just begun that sport or not-a-sport debate again. Sorry.

Young Dan
    yea i was eating breakfast this morning before goin to school and i swear i counted the cycling references in it too, it was actaully pretty funny

banned
    Mar 2004

No, you're right. .

Quote Originally Posted by TypeOne
    What irks me is the coverage NASCAR is getting, with its own "inside racing" section. That's mainstream? What's happening?
    Uh oh, I may have just begun that sport or not-a-sport debate again. Sorry.
    Any jack#$s can "go left" for a few hours. NASCAR is a tool to sell crappy (and ugly) American cars. Formula 1 is real racing.

remodeling...me

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by KATZRKOL
    Any jack#$s can "go left" for a few hours. NASCAR is a tool to sell crappy (and ugly) American cars. Formula 1 is real racing.
    Uh, I think you meant European Road Rally....
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569