Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Think I should can the decals? Anyone have pics of debadged silver Ksyrium SL's?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  clgtide1 
#1 · (Edited)
Before and After pics of silver Ksyrium SL decal removal...

Update: Scroll down thread for before and after pics. Might be useful for those considering it.

Been contemplating stripping the decals from my silver K's. OMG such an ordeal!!! lol. Obviously have a good idea what they will look like, but I guess pics couldn't hurt before I do the damage.

I always dig streamlined and think completely silver wheels would flow well with the polished dished DA crank. And please no "where's the Campy to streamline with the French guts of the bike" comments :p

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Here is a before and after. Really satisfied with the choice to go ahead and do it. But damn did it take long...decals come right off but the residual goo took me a good 1hr per wheel to remove using goo-gone/paper towels. Polished lip of K's def go well with a DA 7800 crank.

#11 ·
cmatcan said:
that does look better on that bike...i would just worry about hurting the resale value if you ever wanted to try and sell those wheels in the future.
Yeah, resale should be a consideration for sure. Luckily for my case it shouldn't be a problem since they were purchased for $500 off craigslist. Plan to keep them for training for many yrs.

Stickers peel right off...not a problem. It's just the goo residue that stays behind and requires use of goo-gone or similar product to remove. Takes time.

#12 ·
Looks good without the stickers!

I removed the stickers from a set of Am Classics. . . black rims though. Look much better all black and reflect-a-shine-aful.

Now if I could just work up the nerve to remove half of the 10 bazillion stickers from my Merckx frame/fork. I've sat down in front of it to start several times but just can't do it, man.

#14 ·
I did a test run on another frame a few months ago. I made a cut through the clearcoat with a razor following the outline, removed the decals then sanded the rough edge of the clearcoat smooth with fine sandpaper. It looks good.

But the Merckx; I just don't know. I have been considering removing the logos from the toptube, chainstays and seatstays; I think it will be much cleaner then. I am afraid the clearcoat has a lot to do with the translusent blue color so I would need to learn how to apply clearcoat or take it somewhere to have it touched up. Plus, the logos could be painted on instead of a decal.

#15 ·
pwagle said:
Stickers peel right off...not a problem. It's just the goo residue that stays behind and requires use of goo-gone or similar product to remove. Takes time.

Your bike looks clean without the Ksyrium logos. I might do that to mine also. FYI, I purchased a new set of Ksyrium SLs for my other bike and the Ksyrium logos are now powdercoated to the sidewall...no more stickers from Mavic.

#16 ·
KATZRKOL said:
I debaged my Zipp 303's and they look awsome. I hate how friggin ugly the decals are on most wheels. Besides, I don't get paid to ride them so why should I advertise for free??
I did the same thing....Well they actually kinda began to do it themselves. When the stickers began to peel there was no stopping them. I was not willing to pay for a new set. Very stealth looking.... After seeing how nice your SL's turned out I may do them as well. Thanks for the tip...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.