Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Thinking about using Surgeon's gloves on tomorrow's cold morning ride

Good or bad idea for protecting from the cold/wind?

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Bad idea, they don't breath well and even when it is cold out you are still sweating.

Those gloves will shortly turn into a swimming pool. A cold pool at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Hanging 10 bra
    Yeah very bad idea, like said, it will not allow your hands to breath and they will be soaked in minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Any thin glove like that designed for dexterity offers very little in the way of warmth, they're simply thin latex, nitrile or something of that sort. They will be better than nothing though, try 'em out and report back to us.

Master debator.
    You'll freeze your hands. Probably not a good idea, I know from experience. A thin set of glove liners is much better.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I think it'll work great, if a buddy needs an emergency prostate exam. Remember to bring some low end lube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Try this experiment; put a rubber glove on one hand and go without on the other. See if you can feel the difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It offers no insulation but it reduces circulation and is therefore a very bad idea.
    My cycle tour blog; raymoorerides.blogspot.com

Re-Cyclist
    Good idea if your chain drops and you don't want to get your fingers greasy. Apparently you've never used nitrile gloves before. Lot's of consistent advice here.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Bad idea! I would think that it would have some serious circulation issues and not to mention frost bite if it where to cold

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    I think it'll work great, if a buddy needs an emergency prostate exam. Remember to bring some low end lube.
    Oh great, the lube debate starts again.

You use homebrew?

irony intended
    I say go for it and report your results here. But then again, I'm a contrarian.

But you might want to take a pair of real riding gloves with, just as a backup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I actually meant to wear them under my cycling long sleeve gloves & not by themselves, but I guess it'd be the same thing wouldn't it, I just need some better winter gloves. Thanks for the responses.

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    I tried it once. I used to commute into the winter on the bike, and, when the temps dropped into the 40's I'd lose feeling in my fingers. Out of desperation I tried putting on a pair of nitrile gloves over my full finger cycling gloves. It didn't help one bit. My fingers froze and were so cold there was no possibility of sweat. Yeah, I wore both a full sleeve undershirt as well as a full sleeve jersey and jacket over it. I'd be sweating from head to toes and my hands would be frozen. Better gloves resolved that issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I've used them under my Specialized winter gloves, sometimes with glove liners, sometimes without...temps around freezing or above. I've not found that glove liners and winter gloves keep my fingers warm so when it gets really cold I add nitrile gloves.I guess the process is much like using sandwich bags to the toe box of your shoes. As has been mentioned, my hands get wet but they stay warm!...try them yourself to see if they work for you...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I don't get it, why don't you just use some liners? Isn't that pretty much the solution in the first place?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Damn. Beaten to the punch. We find them handy when we need to do proctological exams on the road. Otherwise, worthless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used drywall gloves once in a real pinch. Was out on a Fall ride and started snowing. Stopped in a local (very local) hardware store and picked some up. Worked great. I have also thrown those hand warmer packs (used for skiing primarily) in a pair of gloves and in my jersey/jacket pockets on my kidneys -- keeps everything very warm and have ridden in the teens and lower that way! Good riding...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    If you are using the surgeons gloves, what is he or she supposed to use? He, he, hee
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

I Love PAIN
    I've raced with a pair under my thin gloves. Worked very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Ditto. If it's a cold ride on my motorcycle, I always wear them underneath my regular gloves. Sure, your hands sweat, but they sweat in the summer too. Key is to wear something over top of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Why stop at latex gloves? Why not go for a full latex suit?

latex catsuit|LATEX FETISH|latex clothes factory|corset|fetish-zhenhe latexsuit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    What I was thinking. Other guys in the ride may not fully understand your intention and be wary.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wow, even spambots are dredging old dead threads! Post has been flagged.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Wow, even spambots are dredging old dead threads! Post has been flagged.
    Spammer has been smote.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast