TI - to paint or not to paint, that is the question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aug 2007

TI - to paint or not to paint, that is the question

So whatcha all think?

Jan 2004

Rattle can and Huffy decals

Too late. If you paint it, nobody will know you're riding Ti and you'll look like a loser. If you don't, everybody will think you're showing off your Ti and you'll look like a poseur. Personally, I'd spray it white and track down some Huffy decals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I say no paint. They are rare enough that you don't much need to individualize the look.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Definatly paint......but in a 1/2 & 1/2 or 3/4 1/4 scheme to leave the chainstays and part of the seat stays unpainted.

To me, unpainted Ti is mucho ugly. Painted right, you get low mainenance and good looks.

But it's your bike....which one will you like better?

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

toomanybikes
    For me, the beauty of the unpainted Ti is that I can basically do anything to the bike and not need to woory.

The Ti bike is the one that travels with me.

On the car roof, in a bike bag and in the hold of an airplane, whatever ........

It is unpainted and I don't worry about the paint getting bunged up.

Not the prettiest, but there is a good arguement for leaving it .......

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you paint it, leave the chain stays bare since paint chips easily there. However, I've opted to leave my ti bike unpainted because I like the low maintenance aspect. It's nice having a bike I never have to worry about scratching, and I generally take my ti bike when traveling for that reason. I have a few friends with painted ti bikes, however, and they look really sharp if you leave the chain stays unpainted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... me loves the look of "natural" Ti...

Aesthetics are so much a matter of personal choice that it's merely opinion, but it's nice to think that unlike most other alloys used for bicycle frames, that Ti doesn't need a protective finish which at it's core, is what paint is.

There seems to be more of a trend towards painting carbon as opposed to showing the weave (either natural or a cosmetic layer) as well. Me likes the weave.

RoadBikeReview Member

unpainted

I ordered mine painted, and I wish I would have chosen unpainted. The paint chips, and unpainted Titanium is beautiful.
    Look 566, Campy S R 11
    Litespeed Tuscanne, D A 9
    Specialized S-Works Hardtail, XTR
    Bianchi Milano cruiser, 8 spd Nexus
    Burley Tandem, 105

Steaming piles of opinion
    Personally, I say unpainted. I dig finish variations, like brushed with blasted 'decals', etc. Understated, classy.

If I wanted paint, I'd tend towards a 'panel' sort of technique, with wide bands of color supporting the marque. Check out Serotta's finishing section for some ideas. I'd leave all stay and joint areas nekkid.

Whatever you do, don't paint your bike so that it looks like some mid-70's conversion van. Skip the flames, lightning, clouds, mountains, skulls, fades, wizards, and so on.

Unless you're going to paint the top tube to look like a giant spliff. That'd rock, dude.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Seat's not level
    Mine is unpainted. Nothing to chip and will look the same for years to come. I guess if I wanted a different look I could have the fork painted a different color and change the tape and saddle.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Got Force?
    Nude all the way! You could always do some pinstriping or some sort of minor pattern work just to enhance the looks. The real answer is; whichever YOU like best.
    For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo da Vinci

World's 1st Anal-rapist
    Laser etched down tube and everything else bare.
    Oh, I've been in the film business for a while, but I just can't seem to get one in the can.

O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth? Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my Serotta/Schwinn Paramount Ti has a really nice custom paint job and bare seat and chain stays...

I thought about taking it all down to bare metal. I polled the Serotta board and most there suggested leaving the paint...glad I did. I get a bunch of compliments on it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

TWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsdad
    Laser etched down tube and everything else bare.
    Now you're talking.

I've got a custom lugged 953 stainless cross bike with a brushed finish and etched logos on the HT, DT, ans ST. (sorry I can't take a decent pic to save my life).

Very classy and unobtrusive.

I often get the "wow...I've never seen a lugged Ti frame before". And my response "...and you still haven't!!!". I've thought about accenting the lugs with some white paint (thin outline).

I've also got two ti bikes (one road, on hardtail mtb) and both are unpainted.

I prefer unpainted for the sake of maintenence, + once you slap paint on it, it looks like everything else.

I have seen a few nice partial paint jobs on Ti and 953 frames that looked really nice. I particularly like the look of white paint contrasted with bare metal.

A while back someone (Dave Hickey maybe??) posted a pic of their custom Carl Strong 953 Stainless bike that had a mix of white paint and brushed steel with the logos basically a "window" to the bare metal to form the lettering. Absolutely beautiful bike.

To some bare Ti may be boring, but I'd take that over the tacky "bling" graphics and billboard logos you see on most of bikes "reviewed" over on PezCyclingnews.
    Last edited by TWD; 01-18-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Juanmoretime
    Not always the rule of thumb but in most cases titanium frames and women are best naked!
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

Bike Dude
    Sep 2003
    My vote is paint. I like cleaning and waxing my paint job and I like the way it looks in the sun. There are a lot of beautiful Ti bikes out there but they are starting to look a lot alike. Why not have it painted? Why not leave certain parts of the bike unpainted but clear coated? The only cool thing I've seen lately is the raw Ti finish with the laser etched logos. I think Juanmoretime has one and it's a beautiful ride. Damn sharp until every other bike starts looking this way. As cycling fiends (yes, we're slaves to technology and bling) we pay a butt-load of money for our rides and we should demand more for our bucks. In sunny San Diego where I live I'm seeing wayyy too many guys my age (middle aged) riding Ti lightspeeds. Has this replaced the younger wife and red Mazda Miata??? To each his own but if we really follow bikes (and we really do) we don't need to see the Ti finish to know what material the bike is made of. Will we ever see a trend where steel frames are painted a faux titanium finish? It's your money (that's if you didn't go crazy and charge the damn thing) it's your call. When I've had enough heart burn after finding yet another new chip on my pearl paint jobs it'll just be an excuse to have the thing repainted the same color or better yet, something newer or brighter. Maybe there's one thing we can all agree on, no more day-glo colors of the 1980's.

RoadBikeReview Member

Bike Dude
    Sep 2003
    Sweeeeeet! I like the "splatter" pattern.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    how about unpainted and stripped of all decals?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Paint!!!!!!

I have a Ti frame that has been bare for years. I grew up in the late 80's so for me paint has to be a big part of the bicycle. I have put all kinds of stickers and such on the frame to try and spice it up so it's not so boring. Some worked and some didnt. I keep coming back to the idea of painting it a solid color and then starting to experiments with colored stickers and such all over again. My idea of paint MUST leave the chainstays and seatstays bare. Imagine a Colnago masterlight's rear end -with the unpainted.

Your bike is about you and what you like. I LIKE paint so I will keep thinking about painting the frame and maybe pull the trigger this year. On the other hand, if you paint it and dont like it then buy yourself some scotchbrite and start sanding! With some elbow grease you should be able to return the frame to its pre-paint condition.

Will post my ride later tonight...

Takmanjapan

May 2002
    Leave it naked.....

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Paint it. IMO, there's nothing duller than gray. Booorring!
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

TWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    Not always the rule of thumb but in most cases titanium frames and women are best naked!
    So.....if you ride a frame bigger than 60cm or 4 lbs you better slap some paint on it!

RoadBikeReview Member

What he did...

Check out this recent beauty from JMT
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=118651

banned
    Why pay for Ti if you can't see the beauty of it & make a statement. Leave some or all naked. Like ball burnished Al. I feel the same about carbon fiber.
    My GT Zaskar & Litespeed Pisgah:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast