Ti pedal spindles - grease or anti-seize
    RoadBikeReview Member

Ti pedal spindles - grease or anti-seize

Just got myself a new set of pedals with titanium spindles. The instructions recommend grease. What do you people with ti spindles use? Grease or anti-seize compound?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Antiseize if you have it, grease if you don't. I wouldn't worry all that much. If you use a liberal amount of grease and end up with galling on the crank 5 years from now, take it up with the company that made the instruction sheet - but I think it is unlikely. The spindle is more likely to break in that time than gall.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    Antiseize if you have it, grease if you don't. I wouldn't worry all that much. If you use a liberal amount of grease and end up with galling on the crank 5 years from now, take it up with the company that made the instruction sheet - but I think it is unlikely. The spindle is more likely to break in that time than gall.
    +1 Grease works fine, I prefer anti sieze though. A tube of it lasts for about a decade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    really? antisieze, i never would have guessed
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter
    really? antisieze, i never would have guessed
    After some time, in hot conditions, grease can lose its effectiveness. Anti sieze doesn't, or at least not as fast. Titanium and aluminum bond together. I have a couple titanium bikes and quickly learned the benefits of using anti sieze. Its good for pedals, water bottle cage screws, etc. The only drawback is that its messy. As careful as I try to be, I get the crap all over everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks for the info...i'll have to do that now...im about due for a maintenance on my speedplay pedals anyway
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf
    The only drawback is that its messy. As careful as I try to be, I get the crap all over everything.
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets it everywhere. I even end up with it in my hair.

I use Finish Line's copper-colored titanium-compatible anti-sieze. I'm not sure what's different about it from the silver stuff, but it's the same price, I have one Ti bike, so that's what I use on all of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Grease effectiveness

Quote Originally Posted by pmf
    After some time, in hot conditions, grease can lose its effectiveness. Anti sieze doesn't, or at least not as fast.
    Agree in principle, but "not as fast" covers a long, long, time. Per Litespeed's recommendation I've been using grease for all of my Ti and Al parts for the past 13 seasons with zero issues. I clean and relube all the threaded parts and metal to metal contact surfaces every 10,000-11,000 miles. That includes a Ti frame, Ti stem and seat post, and Ti bolts that thread into the frame: Ti to Ti, Ti to Al, and Ti to steel. No problems.

la dolce vita
    Been using waterproof grease on my Speedplay Ti's for about 5 years now. Zero problems.
    insert witty comment here

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets it everywhere. I even end up with it in my hair.

I use Finish Line's copper-colored titanium-compatible anti-sieze. I'm not sure what's different about it from the silver stuff, but it's the same price, I have one Ti bike, so that's what I use on all of them.
    I don't know what it is about that stuff. I use the silver Permex (sp?) stuff. I'm always very careful, only get it on one finger, spread carefully ... then before I know it, there's some on my foot, the other hand, etc. Hours later I see I've smeared some on my saddle. Dammit!

It really does work though. I remember once having to remove a quill stem from my wife's titanium bike with a hammer. And I had greased that stem when I installed it. The LBS recommended some anti seize and I've been using it ever since. Periodically greasing parts works just as well if you remember to do it. The anti seize is pretty much use it and forget it.