Tights - over or under shorts? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    banned
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpetbiker View Post
    I know its an old thread, but for those of us who have used leg warmers and arm warmers for a couple of years, this is actually a really GREAT question. my wife bought me an expensive pair of Specialized thermal tights for Christmas, and I honestly didn't see how they could be worn under shorts ------------ defeats the purpose of the chamois design and effectiveness. makes sense then to pull over the shorts, but also seems like a patch fit if you don't have padded thermal tights or bibs, or leg warmers.

bottom line here ------------- its really smarter just to pick up padded high quality thermal tights. don't go cheap, whats your crotch worth?
    Holy necromancy, Batman!

If I know I will spend significant time in the clothes I will not go cheap. Did you get these?
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Then again, I just wear bibshorts with knee warmers and--on rare occasion--leg warmers. If the weather gets too nasty I will get on a trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It depends if they have graphics or not... plain black tights "no padding" go under the bibs. Tights with graphics "no padding" go over the bibs.. Just saying...: it works for me
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    If one must ask this question then they must wear tights their under their shorts/bibbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    If one must ask this question then they must wear tights their under their shorts/bibbs.
    They need to be worm like this

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  5.0 KB....
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Nawww... personally I prefer unpadded tights. That way I can wear them multiple days without washing because I wear different shorts each day.

My first pair of tights (way back around 1980) were a pair of Giordana wool tights with chamois. One April ride out of Boone, NC I wore them because it was about 40-45* at the start of the ride. Unfortunately it warmed up to near 80* that afternoon and my legs hated it - I couldn't take the tights off because I had no shorts under them. That evening I cut the chamois out of those tights and have never worn tights with chamois ever since...
    This^^^

I can just get a couple of $80 tights without the pad and wear a good pair of shorts under them. I don't have to worry them about how good the pad is. I also adds another layer against your mid section that sees a lot of wind.

Good tights with a good pad cost $175 plus. That means I'd need 2 to ride home from work and back in the next day. Or, I'd need two if I went on two base building rides over the weekend. Or a hard ride, then a recovery ride.

It just works better for me to have no pad in the tights. HOWEVER, you are stuck doing 2X as much washing......................BUT you only have two do it 1/2 as often.................SO...............
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

Use my Apps :)
    Friends don't let friends where shorts over tights. They also don't let friends wear bib short straps over jerseys.
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nawww... personally I prefer unpadded tights. That way I can wear them multiple days without washing because I wear different shorts each day.
    Yep. For that reason precisely. I commute daily and ride on the weekend. I have 7 or 8 pairs of good shorts. I have multiple pairs of tights, but only because they are different weights for different temperature ranges. I can wear the same tights every day with fresh shorts, and do the laundry once a week.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    great input there - for commuting, the end of the day scenario not wearing them is a good reason not to use padded.

for a long day here and there in cooler weather, having the padded pair is nice, simplified. I've used leg warmers and a wool liner under my light jacket and its worked great. getting the thermal tights made me wonder the best approach.

I'm sticking with the thermal tights and leg warmers, not going to bother with the padded tights. thx for the input, good info!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
    Friends don't let friends where shorts over tights. They also don't let friends wear bib short straps over jerseys.
    or underwear with shorts...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    They need to be worm like this

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  5.0 KB....
    and the tights shall be burlap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    and the tights shall be burlap.
    I'm speechless.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Yep. For that reason precisely. I commute daily and ride on the weekend. I have 7 or 8 pairs of good shorts. I have multiple pairs of tights, but only because they are different weights for different temperature ranges. I can wear the same tights every day with fresh shorts, and do the laundry once a week.

I am right there with you. I have several pairs of tights of varying thicknesses and materials. I also have lots of shorts - lots - that I've collected over the years - including at least five pair of high end shorts from the last four years. I use my older shorts on my commutes and the good ones on various long rides. I use the same tights for commuting as for weekend/vacation rides according to the weather conditions.

Great shorts are a necessity, but great padded tights are too expensive to buy in order to build up a proper selection. Hey, I even use runner's knickers instead of padded ones for the same reason - in the shoulder seasons those are worn daily.

I suppose that I should explain that I live in western Washington (transplant from Virginia and Georgia) and believe in keeping my knees covered when the temperature drops below 70 degrees (Cyrill Guimard recommended 68 degrees). This means that I need a lot of tights of various styles.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfinity View Post
    Black tights should be worn over black shorts to avoid the fashion faux-pas of different color blacks.

Light colored tights are worn underneath the shorts so that the shorts cannot be seen through the stretched lycra, a sight too horrid to picture.

Tights exactly the same color as any part of the shorts, can be worn either under or over, according to your comfort, unless the shorts have a panel that shows through the tights. In that case you must wear the tights under the shorts.
    Pffffffffffffftttttt!

What determines where you should wear your tights should never be the colors.

If the tights have a chamois, wear them next to your skin.

If the tights don't have a chamois, wear them over your shorts/bibs.

I purposely got 1 pair of tights w/o chamois. This way I can wear them multiple times over the bibs before having to wash them. I'm just getting back into cycling, and I figured it would be easier and less expensive to do this than to have to buy several sets of tights with a chamois.

GH

I only buy unpadded tights and wear them over the shorts. That way, I know exactly how my gooch should feel on any ride since it will be swaddled in the same chamois as the shorts I always wear. Happy gooch = happy rider! Remember that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    OVER!!! You will be labelled a"fred" if you put them on under. Besides, the chamois (in your shorts), needs to go next to your skin. The reason you don't see the pros wear what you think are tights over the bibs is that they are likely wearing leg warmers that go up just to the thigh.
    while I agree it only makes sense to have tights over top, I would not be able to label someone who put their shorts over tight as Fred. Why? Because can't really tell if they have tights on underneath, or are wearing leg warmers.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    while I agree it only makes sense to have tights over top, I would not be able to label someone who put their shorts over tight as Fred. Why? Because can't really tell if they have tights on underneath, or are wearing leg warmers.
    Actually, until I saw this thread I would have immediately assumed that they were wearing leg warmers. I had never imagined that someone would be foolish enough to wear their tights under their shorts. Doing so means that they'll have to wash them after every ride...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Actually, until I saw this thread I would have immediately assumed that they were wearing leg warmers. I had never imagined that someone would be foolish enough to wear their tights under their shorts. Doing so means that they'll have to wash them after every ride...
    Foolish enough? Last couple of years, I've seen at least 2 middle age guys wearing the liner bike shorts (underwear) as if those are regular bike shorts. How do I know? I own couple pairs which I use under my winter pants (no pads) during colder months ride. The fabric on those liners are semi-translucent. Yeah, their butt crack is semi-noticeable (I have to look in front of me when riding).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Both!!

I wear a pair of shorts. Then my thermal tights with no pad. Then my bib shorts to keep all in place.

Sometimes knee warmers too.

Russian Troll Farmer
    First, I'd like to thank this newbie for dredging a 15-year old thread.....

But, all "Fred" comments aside, I find that most tights don't stay up on my waist well. When they slide down a bit, I often end up catching my inseam on the nose of my saddle when mounting the bike, so I often wear an older pair of cycling shorts from when I was heavier over the tights (and with athletic underwear on, as well). I don't care how it looks, I just need to keep them up!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    First, I'd like to thank this newbie for dredging a 15-year old thread.....

But, all "Fred" comments aside, I find that most tights don't stay up on my waist well. When they slide down a bit, I often end up catching my inseam on the nose of my saddle when mounting the bike, so I often wear an older pair of cycling shorts from when I was heavier over the tights (and with athletic underwear on, as well). I don't care how it looks, I just need to keep them up!
    That is what braces (suspenders) are for. We always had to wear them back in the days of wool shorts and tights; now we just need them when our Lycra tights are getting old or just don't stay up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12