Tights - over or under shorts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Tights - over or under shorts?

This may seem like a stupid question but I have to ask it. When wearing tights, do they go over or under your cycling shorts? In colder weather I wore thicker tights that wouldn't fit under, so that question is answered. But now that its colder I can wear thinner tights. The problem seems to be that there is a seam in all my tights right wear the chamois would normally be...which creates comfort issues. I've never seen pros wear tights over their shorts and I"m guessing they wouldn't do this if it wasn't comfortable. Any tips or suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong? Kind of superficial I know but...I am the epitome of superficial.

RoadBikeReview Member

I wear tights over my shorts...

because chamois is nicer than an ill-placed seam on the tights and because I sometimes take off the tights. I don't know the right way to do it, or even what the pros do, but that's what I do.

Game on, b*tches!
    OVER!!! You will be labelled a"fred" if you put them on under. Besides, the chamois (in your shorts), needs to go next to your skin. The reason you don't see the pros wear what you think are tights over the bibs is that they are likely wearing leg warmers that go up just to the thigh.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

I wear the tights under

used to wear them over then switched, works better for me

Bikespace member
    over.

it also makes it easier to take them off when it gets warmer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    never thought of over but never seen it either. Under for me.

Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
    Padded tights: under, or without shorts. Unpadded: over
    Ride in Peace....Enjoy every sandwich......Mike

Every little counts...
    Over.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Over- but you can go with leg warmers if you prefer under. Actually what I really am looking for is a nice set of bib tights without a chamois- to avoid the dreaded plumber's crack and snagging the saddle on the edge of my drooping tights.

scruffy nerf herder

Definitely over...

decreases aerodynamic drag on the seam of the short over the tights...

kidding, over.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

RoadBikeReview Member

No Tights For Me

Quote Originally Posted by homegrown2004
    This may seem like a stupid question but I have to ask it. When wearing tights, do they go over or under your cycling shorts? In colder weather I wore thicker tights that wouldn't fit under, so that question is answered. But now that its colder I can wear thinner tights. The problem seems to be that there is a seam in all my tights right wear the chamois would normally be...which creates comfort issues. I've never seen pros wear tights over their shorts and I"m guessing they wouldn't do this if it wasn't comfortable. Any tips or suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong? Kind of superficial I know but...I am the epitome of superficial.

Here in So Cal, shorts w/ knee warmers do the trick!
    Solvang was a blast!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigassbike
    'cept when it's a cold morning's commute

Ya, the Solvang ride was nice, wasn't it ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tights - over or under shorts?-4.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Depends on the color.

Black tights should be worn over black shorts to avoid the fashion faux-pas of different color blacks.

Light colored tights are worn underneath the shorts so that the shorts cannot be seen through the stretched lycra, a sight too horrid to picture.

Tights exactly the same color as any part of the shorts, can be worn either under or over, according to your comfort, unless the shorts have a panel that shows through the tights. In that case you must wear the tights under the shorts.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Over- but you can go with leg warmers if you prefer under. Actually what I really am looking for is a nice set of bib tights without a chamois- to avoid the dreaded plumber's crack and snagging the saddle on the edge of my drooping tights.
    I bought a pair of PI bib tights that were chamoix free.

Mike
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Really?

HAHA HAHAHAA AHHAHA AHHAHAH AHAHHA AHAHAHAHHAHAHHA H

HA AHAHH HAHAHHAH AHHHH

whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigassbike
    I haven't worn anything heavier than knickers since I moved to San Diego 7 years ago! Makes getting dressed for winter rides a LOT easier...

For all of y'all that wear tights under your shorts: how the heck do you take them off if you get too hot? Even better: what do you do about that seam that goes exactly in the wrong spot underneath where you sit?

I always scratch my head and wonder every time I see several things:

bib straps worn outside the jersey (I can SORTA understand this one...)
    underwear
    tights under shorts
    helmets worn backwards (saw it the other day)

Mike
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Neither, wear leg warmers. I switched to leg warmers this winter and they are great. I can wear any pair of shorts I want.... The same applies to arm warmers. No need for long sleeve jerseys.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Over, but if you wear them under, no one will know because no one will think that it's possible to get wrong and everyone will think that they're leg warmers.
    I speak with the authority of one who grappled with the same metaphysical question until realizing that there was but one answer and what it was. Until then, I did, once or twice, in a bad moment, wear them under (THERE I SAID IT ARE YOU HAPPY NOW ARE YOU AAGGGHHHHH). I consoled myself later with the thought that everyone would have assumed that they were warmers, so I was able to continue to ride my bike in these here parts.

Done
    Mar 2002

Good Lord Man!

Tights go over padded shorts. If you wear them under your shorts and inadvertently break wind, you will blow your bike shoes clean off of your feet. Guaranteed. So don't do it.
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MShaw
    I bought a pair of PI bib tights that were chamoix free.

Mike
    I think the new fall/winter 2004 line will have a set of these in the line again, according to the catalog the rep left. If so I will EP a couple for myself.

Coolhand

Diesel Engine

Now there's the best answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor
    Tights go over padded shorts. If you wear them under your shorts and inadvertently break wind, you will blow your bike shoes clean off of your feet. Guaranteed. So don't do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Bib tights

Don't cheap out.... Go to boure.com and get yourself some bib tights with the shammy. Best investment I've made in a long time. Great for 30-50 degrees.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by homegrown2004 View Post

I know its an old thread, but for those of us who have used leg warmers and arm warmers for a couple of years, this is actually a really GREAT question. my wife bought me an expensive pair of Specialized thermal tights for Christmas, and I honestly didn't see how they could be worn under shorts ------------ defeats the purpose of the chamois design and effectiveness. makes sense then to pull over the shorts, but also seems like a patch fit if you don't have padded thermal tights or bibs, or leg warmers.

bottom line here ------------- its really smarter just to pick up padded high quality thermal tights. don't go cheap, whats your crotch worth?

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Nawww... personally I prefer unpadded tights. That way I can wear them multiple days without washing because I wear different shorts each day.

My first pair of tights (way back around 1980) were a pair of Giordana wool tights with chamois. One April ride out of Boone, NC I wore them because it was about 40-45* at the start of the ride. Unfortunately it warmed up to near 80* that afternoon and my legs hated it - I couldn't take the tights off because I had no shorts under them. That evening I cut the chamois out of those tights and have never worn tights with chamois ever since...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpetbiker View Post
    bottom line here ------------- its really smarter just to pick up padded high quality thermal tights.
    ^This. Thermal tights. No shorts.

Otherwise, fall/winter shorts and leg warmers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast