Time brand sold to French E-Bike startup
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    782

    Time brand sold to French E-Bike startup

    I posted this in the Time forum, but no one has posted there since 2017, and I thought this thread might be of interest to Time pedal enthusiasts.

    The brand was sold by Rossignol to a French E-Bike startup.

    It doesn't bode well for the future of the pedals, based on this statement.

    "A spokesman for Time's U.S. operations said that Time pedals and bikes will continue to be available through them at least until the sale is completed this summer "

    https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...e-bike-startup

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I posted this in the Time forum, but no one has posted there since 2017, and I thought this thread might be of interest to Time pedal enthusiasts.

    The brand was sold by Rossignol to a French E-Bike startup.

    It doesn't bode well for the future of the pedals, based on this statement.

    "A spokesman for Time's U.S. operations said that Time pedals and bikes will continue to be available through them at least until the sale is completed this summer "

    https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...e-bike-startup
    I am not sure why they they would buy Time? Just for the brand name? I can't imagine that the pedals market is good place to make big money, so maybe they will drop that product

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I can't imagine that the pedals market is good place to make big money, so maybe they will drop that product
    pedals? Time make probably the best constructed frames available. I hope this works out for them. Between their in-house weaved carbon/Vectran and Kevlar along with theirRTM construction method, there’s nothing better. They don’t do “cookie cutter” like Trek, Cannondale, Spech. .

  4. #4
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,736
    FWIW, both Time and Rosignol have lost a lot of marketshare over the last 2 decades. I'm assuming that selling the Time brand will keep them afloat for a while. Expect the new owners to start selling Time-brand E-bikes soon, like the way Bell started selling all manor of cheap cycling accessories a few years ago....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,387
    [QUOTE=No Time Toulouse;5432375]FWIW, both Time and Rosignol have lost a lot of marketshare over the last 2 decades.[QUOTE]
    Yea, what kills Time is a poor dealer network and they don’t really advertise. I hope they survive, but I’m not betting on it.

  6. #6
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,736
    I doubt it. What does Time have that Look and Shimano SPD-R don't? 25+ years ago, it was quality and finish. Today, not so much. I couldn't even tell you who even sells Time pedals near me, and between my city and Buffalo, that's a metro area of better than 2.5 million.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Time make probably the best constructed frames available. I hope this works out for them. Between their in-house weaved carbon/Vectran and Kevlar along with theirRTM construction method, there’s nothing better. They don’t do “cookie cutter” like Trek, Cannondale, Spech. .
    That's what TomK was saying, but few pick up on that.
    I don't think Time Carbon Frame's quality will sustain its reputation.
    Likely it will soon be sold in Walmart or Dick's or Target.

    Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose,. who's next....
    Time?

    Dorel Industries Inc. is a Canadian company, based in Montreal, Quebec, which designs and manufactures for three areas: Juvenile Products, Bicycles and Home Furnishings. It was formed in 1987 as a result of a merger between Dorel Co. Ltd., founded in 1962 by Leo Schwartz and Ridgewood Industries, founded in 1969. Wikipedia

    Dorel Brands https://www.dorelsports.com/brands/




    Last edited by rudge66; 07-03-2020 at 12:33 PM.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,387

    Smile

    Rudge66, you may be best suited to the MTB forums, for you’re clueless in this area.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    251
    Actually I know nothing about MTB, but I share your concern about Time carbon road bike frames being bought out corporate take over. style . Same repeat. Fall from the top to a lower standard Don't see this as a good omen. Do you black cat?

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    782
    I don't think I would consider a French e-Bike startup no one has ever heard of buying a brand with a good reputation as a 'corporate takeover'.

    Rossignol stated that the brand wasn't giving the returns on their investment they were hoping for. I can't imagine a French e-Bike startup, who's bikes are almost certainly built 100% in asia, and are selling bikes whose riders almost exclusively use flat pedals, are going to continue manufacturing super expensive, super lightweight carbon road racing pedals and shoes, or for that matter, even their MTB/Gravel stuff.

    Considering their current brand name (WhaTTfornow) and that their brand logo on the bikes is just "WhaTT", they are probably just looking to use the established brand name.

    I looked at some of the specs on the bikes, and they are nothing special. They are all built/spec'd with the strict European Ebike restrictions in mind (i.e. I don't think they are looking at the US as a target market unless they make some changes to their model lineup).

    They are the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

    I don't think they are going to get much interest from anyone with a traditional sense of what a bike should look like unless there is truelysomething sensational and ground breaking about the tech (i.e. huge range, huge power/speed to weight ratio, etc...)

  11. #11
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,736
    Somebody mentioned Dorel. If they are the actual owners, then this French company is hardly a 'start up', and as far as the Time brand is concerned, with Dorel owning Cannondale, GT, Schwinn, etc., etc., then I doubt anything more that the Time pedal brand is likely to survive (and even that probably not for more than a couple of years). More than likely, this is just another example of buying out more of the competition, then pimping whatever is left of the brand name.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,504
    I hope they won't stop making Time road pedals!!!
    I have 5 bikes all with Time pedals!!!

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I hope they won't stop making Time road pedals!!!
    I have 5 bikes all with Time pedals!!!
    I'd start the hoarding process now

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Somebody mentioned Dorel. If they are the actual owners, then this French company is hardly a 'start up', and as far as the Time brand is concerned, with Dorel owning Cannondale, GT, Schwinn, etc., etc., then I doubt anything more that the Time pedal brand is likely to survive (and even that probably not for more than a couple of years). More than likely, this is just another example of buying out more of the competition, then pimping whatever is left of the brand name.
    Dorel has nothing to do with this. Rudge just mentioned it as a reference to another cycling conglomerate thath has absorbed older brands and hasn't done anything with them.

    WhattForNow has it's own manufacturing. It could be that they are investing in some of that aspect of the Time company. Time may have some patents on processes that can be used for their ebikes.

    I would agree with DaveG. If you love Time pedals, I would start hoarding them ASAP. Unless someone else buys that aspect of the business from WhattForNow in order to keep them going, they are not long for this world.

  15. #15
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    pedals? Time make probably the best constructed frames available. I hope this works out for them. Between their in-house weaved carbon/Vectran and Kevlar along with theirRTM construction method, there’s nothing better. They don’t do “cookie cutter” like Trek, Cannondale, Spech. .
    Yea...but $5,000USD for an off-the-shelf-fit frame/fork-only in a market where for that money you can get full custom paint/geometry/features, is doomed to failure. The difference between "best" and mainline is very hard to justify the price delta; unless you're a dentist or lawyer with a mountain of cash burning a hole in your wallet.

    TIME is more than likely done as it has been; relegated to being another "me-too" bike brand.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Dorel has nothing to do with this. Rudge just mentioned it as a reference to another cycling conglomerate thath has absorbed older brands and hasn't done anything with them.

    WhattForNow has it's own manufacturing. It could be that they are investing in some of that aspect of the Time company. Time may have some patents on processes that can be used for their ebikes.

    I would agree with DaveG. If you love Time pedals, I would start hoarding them ASAP. Unless someone else buys that aspect of the business from WhattForNow in order to keep them going, they are not long for this world.
    Corporate Buy Out's rarely continue with product quality of the original ownership. Thats my concern. If you like Time frames and their carbon layup; now's the time to find one. I don't ride their pedals. I'm concerned about the frames, and their quality in the future.
    Last edited by rudge66; 07-05-2020 at 10:37 AM.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,387
    Hambini knows his sh*t, and this take on Time’s quality and construction says it all.

    https://youtu.be/nwiVlLfqG1M

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Hambini knows his sh*t, and this take on Time’s quality and construction says it all.

    https://youtu.be/nwiVlLfqG1M

    Yup... Thats what I hear from the riders of Time frames .

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yea...but $5,000USD for an off-the-shelf-fit frame/fork-only in a market where for that money you can get full custom paint/geometry/features, is doomed to failure. The difference between "best" and mainline is very hard to justify the price delta; unless you're a dentist or lawyer with a mountain of cash burning a hole in your wallet.

    TIME is more than likely done as it has been; relegated to being another "me-too" bike brand.
    It will be sad to see Time go away, but I agree if I was going to drop $5K on a frame it would be a custom steel heirloom, not a production plastic bike

  20. #20
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,507
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    It will be sad to see Time go away, but I agree if I was going to drop $5K on a frame it would be a custom steel heirloom, not a production plastic bike
    They're hardly "production plastic bikes". They make their on tubes in house. In France, not China. But yeah, I agree, for that kind of money, I'd opt for the steel bike too.

    I've been riding Time pedals for close to 30 years. I started on their road pedals and now have switched all my bikes to Time mountain bike (ATAC) pedals. I think they're a better pedal than SPDs. I guess I need to start hoarding.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    They're hardly "production plastic bikes". They make their on tubes in house. In France, not China. But yeah, I agree, for that kind of money, I'd opt for the steel bike too.

    I've been riding Time pedals for close to 30 years. I started on their road pedals and now have switched all my bikes to Time mountain bike (ATAC) pedals. I think they're a better pedal than SPDs. I guess I need to start hoarding.
    I never tried Time pedals. Back when I started riding, Time offered float in multiple directions, which at the time Look did not. But, they had a unique cleat bolt pattern and quite a bit more expensive so I just kind of locked into Look.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,504
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I never tried Time pedals. Back when I started riding, Time offered float in multiple directions, which at the time Look did not. But, they had a unique cleat bolt pattern and quite a bit more expensive so I just kind of locked into Look.
    IMO, their XPro pedals are the best road pedals out there for most and certainly for noobs and recreational. Easy to get in and out, don't need to look down to find the pedal at all.

    Their iClic cleats, while more expensive than the Shimano/Look ones IF you're buying them retail. But go on the chinese site alipexpress and they're $10/pair.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jspharmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,229
    Someone mentioned the MTB world and Time. I would argue that they make some of the best MTB pedals on the market. They just work. No adjustments needed, durable, easy to use, and look sharp. I might have to start buying up as many Time ATAC XC Carbon pedals I can find.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    IMO, their XPro pedals are the best road pedals out there for most and certainly for noobs and recreational. Easy to get in and out, don't need to look down to find the pedal at all.

    Their iClic cleats, while more expensive than the Shimano/Look ones IF you're buying them retail. But go on the chinese site alipexpress and they're $10/pair.
    Totally agree! I've used Time pedals since the early '90s and have them all our many bikes. Will really suck if they go away.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Similar Threads

  1. Time brand sold to an E-Bike startup
    By Finx in forum Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2020, 04:48 PM
  2. Specialized Bikes' startup story
    By bung in forum Specialized
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 09:00 AM
  3. YES! sold sold sold (ss warning)
    By paint in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 08:05 AM
  4. New Campy dealer, or Old one startup
    By ddog in forum Campagnolo
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.