tips for surviving on 90 degree plus days? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lalahsghost
    I gnabbed a $10 one from walmart the other day and it really seems to pull the sweat from the body. My shirt was still wet (not soaked( throughout the ride, but the HOT wind felt COOL. **Gasp** I might have caught on to something! IMO, just make sure the shirt is skin tight, but doesn't impede at all on chest movement (breathing) while riding.
    Be careful with the cheap stuff it'll start to smell like crap really really really fast if you don't wash it right away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    drink lots, dont go so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    home spun

Beetpull DeLite
    Eat sum nannerz.

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    One problem I have is sweat in my eyes. My Specialized helmet with their wide mouth vent in the front has helped a lot with that. I use a sweatband. I take two. When the first one gets soaked, I'll swap them out and hang the wet one on the bars to dry.

Sweat? Get a Halo

Down where I live, in the land of heat and humidity, sweat is a problem.

I tried some tennis-style headbands, as well as bandanas. Both worked well, until the point of saturation. Then, blammo! A blinding dump of sweat to the eyes.

This was a problem until I got a Halo headband. These things work great.

They are designed not to absorb all the sweat but to channel it away from your eyes.

I have two -- one for a backup, in case I ever lose the first.

I don't want to ride without the Halo -- I've never gotten sweat in my eyes since I started using it.

rkb
    fifth time's a charm
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Again, Soon
    Down where I live, in the land of heat and humidity, sweat is a problem.

I tried some tennis-style headbands, as well as bandanas. Both worked well, until the point of saturation. Then, blammo! A blinding dump of sweat to the eyes.

This was a problem until I got a Halo headband. These things work great.

They are designed not to absorb all the sweat but to channel it away from your eyes.

I have two -- one for a backup, in case I ever lose the first.

I don't want to ride without the Halo -- I've never gotten sweat in my eyes since I started using it.
    Amen on the Halos, great product. Where in Arkansas do you live? I spent 5 years in Ft Smith.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    My experience has been that you intake enough water, but with added salt. At a certain point you over hydrate, yes there is such a thing, and it becomes the point of pain on your longer rides. I normally have a sport drink with me, or I add some salt to my water bottles before I ride.

That said, I don't really care of hot days and try to avoid them by riding before the heat of the day.
    This poster is an employee of

We Keep You Cycling

RoadBikeReview Member
    a good diet and being well hydrated is important.
    Eat your vegies! You get vitamens and minerals absorbed far better through actual food then you do with a supliment.

Keep hydrated. Don't just hydrate the day before or the morning of. Keep water handy all the time. Make it a habit.

Don't be afraid to stop and refil your bottles. A rest off the bike is better then pushing 2 bottles for 5 hours in the heat.

give your skin a squirt. Carry some water vs all sport drink. A little squirt on the back, on the head and the legs will feel great.

Put ice cubes in your bottles. Doesn't stay cold for long but it's better then not! FYI, hot water is easier to choke down then hot sports drink.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uprwstsdr
    Use a Camelback that is filled with ice, or fill 3/4 full the night before and freeze, add water before you start. the cold on your back helps a lot.
    i ditch my bottle cages and throw my bottles in my jersey pockets.
    i try to ride somewhere there is a steady pace.

no city riding when it's hot. the steady breeze keeps things decent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Smile Love the HEAT!

Hotter the better. I prefer it around 100, up to 105 is no problem, just freeze the water bottle a little more. I hate riding in anything cooler than 80.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123