Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Tire Pressure Myths

8K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  SantaCruz 
#1 ·
Tire pressure is an area that I think makes a huge difference in my performance. Recently I used to run about 80 to 90 psi, but I found that when I increased my pressure to 110 psi, I could feel so much less rolling resistance with my 160 lb body mass. Oftentimes I’ve increased the pressure to 120 psi and I can feel the benefits even more. Luddite I am not, but I think the latest talk on wide tires and low pressure is bunk. Last ride I pumped the tires up to 130 psi, and based on the results I know I’m right. I think I’m going to try 140 psi this weekend and go back to my 23c Michelins. No way am I going back to the inefficient squishiness of 80 psi. Granted, I’m not a pro but I can now maintain 24 mph for several hours, so how can my findings be wrong?

#3 ·
Tire pressure is an area that I think makes a huge difference in my performance. Recently I used to run about 80 to 90 psi, but I found that when I increased my pressure to 110 psi, I could feel so much less rolling resistance with my 160 lb body mass. Oftentimes I’ve increased the pressure to 120 psi and I can feel the benefits even more. Luddite I am not, but I think the latest talk on wide tires and low pressure is bunk. Last ride I pumped the tires up to 130 psi, and based on the results I know I’m right. I think I’m going to try 140 psi this weekend and go back to my 23c Michelins. No way am I going back to the inefficient squishiness of 80 psi. Granted, I’m not a pro but I can now maintain 24 mph for several hours, so how can my findings be wrong?
What findings? You have no actual data...just a gut hunch that has been proven to be wrong empirically unless you're on a smooth-as-silk velodrome.

#6 ·
I bought some 23 Vreds that had a top limit of 175 psi stamped on the side.

Since I learned on various RBR threads that manufacturer's recommended pressure ratings are total BS, I pumped those babies up to 210. Or more, because my floor pump red-lined at 205.

I've never ridden so fast.

I'd pump them up to 210 again, but my pump is broken so I have to guesstimate the correct pressure as soon as my rims start making that weird whining noise when I'm pumping.

#7 ·
You guys are too easy. Only SPIKE immediately realized my intention, but that was only half of it. Yes, I'm yearning for some cx tough love. But go back and look at the first letter of each sentence in my OP. I'm trying to win the ASFOS award this month.

#9 ·
Is it April 1 already?

#20 ·
Rolling resistance aside. I know I can't tell the difference. hat I can tell is how the tire feels. If there's a lot of squish, particularly in the front I personally don't like it. I like to feel the pavement and the only way I get that is with a tire at higher pressure. Now for me that's around 100 psi.

#22 ·
When I want to feel the pavement, I get off the bike and put my hands on the road. Your desire for vibration transmission through the handlebars and saddle is curious, because this is the very definition of suspension loss. That vibration is energy being dissipated by the tires "bouncing" over pavement irregularities rather and flexing. As tire pressures increase, suspensions losses increase while hysteresis losses decrease, cancelling each other out over a range from roughly 80 to 100 psi (5.5 to 7 bar). What you DO get from higher pressures is faster tire wear, lower traction, and a less pleasant ride. Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.