Tire Pressure Myths
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Tire Pressure Myths

Tire pressure is an area that I think makes a huge difference in my performance. Recently I used to run about 80 to 90 psi, but I found that when I increased my pressure to 110 psi, I could feel so much less rolling resistance with my 160 lb body mass. Oftentimes I致e increased the pressure to 120 psi and I can feel the benefits even more. Luddite I am not, but I think the latest talk on wide tires and low pressure is bunk. Last ride I pumped the tires up to 130 psi, and based on the results I know I知 right. I think I知 going to try 140 psi this weekend and go back to my 23c Michelins. No way am I going back to the inefficient squishiness of 80 psi. Granted, I知 not a pro but I can now maintain 24 mph for several hours, so how can my findings be wrong?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Tire pressure is an area that I think makes a huge difference in my performance. Recently I used to run about 80 to 90 psi, but I found that when I increased my pressure to 110 psi, I could feel so much less rolling resistance with my 160 lb body mass. Oftentimes I致e increased the pressure to 120 psi and I can feel the benefits even more. Luddite I am not, but I think the latest talk on wide tires and low pressure is bunk. Last ride I pumped the tires up to 130 psi, and based on the results I know I知 right. I think I知 going to try 140 psi this weekend and go back to my 23c Michelins. No way am I going back to the inefficient squishiness of 80 psi. Granted, I知 not a pro but I can now maintain 24 mph for several hours, so how can my findings be wrong?
    Stand by for Tough Love.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    What findings? You have no actual data...just a gut hunch that has been proven to be wrong empirically unless you're on a smooth-as-silk velodrome.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I like his emoji.
    When was the last time his scientific theories stood the test of time?
    That time is coming fast!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    24 mph for several hours is ample proof that you're on the right track.

take the pressure up to 160 psi, you'll be ripping up asphalt!
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I bought some 23 Vreds that had a top limit of 175 psi stamped on the side.

Since I learned on various RBR threads that manufacturer's recommended pressure ratings are total BS, I pumped those babies up to 210. Or more, because my floor pump red-lined at 205.

I've never ridden so fast.

I'd pump them up to 210 again, but my pump is broken so I have to guesstimate the correct pressure as soon as my rims start making that weird whining noise when I'm pumping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You guys are too easy. Only SPIKE immediately realized my intention, but that was only half of it. Yes, I'm yearning for some cx tough love. But go back and look at the first letter of each sentence in my OP. I'm trying to win the ASFOS award this month.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    You guys are too easy. Only SPIKE immediately realized my intention, but that was only half of it. Yes, I'm yearning for some cx tough love. But go back and look at the first letter of each sentence in my OP. I'm trying to win the ASFOS award this month.
    I think I ruined cx tough love. The first rule of cx tough love is... don't talk about cx tough love.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Is it April 1 already?
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What findings? You have no actual data...just a gut hunch that has been proven to be wrong empirically unless you're on a smooth-as-silk velodrome.
    Read his second post. The first letter of each of the sentences in his original post spell TROLL.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Read his second post. The first letter of each of the sentences in his original post spell TROLL.
    Impressive catch.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I知 f妖.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Impressive catch.
    well, not really, the OP provided the decoder key in post 7...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Well done OP...well done.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    well, not really, the OP provided the decoder key in post 7...
    What, you expect me to read the whole post?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Too subtle. I once posted over at BikeForums with a new account which was "I am a troll" spelled backwards. I did a similar post in the style of Roseanne Rosanna-Danna. Not a single person caught on over 2 months.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Alex: That is incorrect.

Contestant #2: What is TROLLING?

Alex: Correct!

Contestant #2: Clickbait for $1,200 Alex.........

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I bought some 23 Vreds that had a top limit of 175 psi stamped on the side.

Since I learned on various RBR threads that manufacturer's recommended pressure ratings are total BS, I pumped those babies up to 210. Or more, because my floor pump red-lined at 205.

I've never ridden so fast.

I'd pump them up to 210 again, but my pump is broken so I have to guesstimate the correct pressure as soon as my rims start making that weird whining noise when I'm pumping.
    vRed is always faster, no?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    vRed is always faster, no?
    On an Orange bike, yes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    yup, when I got my first set of tubulars for racing (like 30 years ago), I bumped those suckers up to 170 psi for my first race. My bike barely touched the ground the whole race - bike was skipping all over the road. Lesson learned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Rolling resistance aside. I know I can't tell the difference. hat I can tell is how the tire feels. If there's a lot of squish, particularly in the front I personally don't like it. I like to feel the pavement and the only way I get that is with a tire at higher pressure. Now for me that's around 100 psi.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    yup, when I got my first set of tubulars for racing (like 30 years ago), I bumped those suckers up to 170 psi for my first race. My bike barely touched the ground the whole race - bike was skipping all over the road. Lesson learned.
    Had that same experience. Mid 90's. Built wheels, glued my first tubulars. I think the cat ended up glued to the ceiling at one point.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    Rolling resistance aside. I know I can't tell the difference. hat I can tell is how the tire feels. If there's a lot of squish, particularly in the front I personally don't like it. I like to feel the pavement and the only way I get that is with a tire at higher pressure. Now for me that's around 100 psi.
    When I want to feel the pavement, I get off the bike and put my hands on the road. Your desire for vibration transmission through the handlebars and saddle is curious, because this is the very definition of suspension loss. That vibration is energy being dissipated by the tires "bouncing" over pavement irregularities rather and flexing. As tire pressures increase, suspensions losses increase while hysteresis losses decrease, cancelling each other out over a range from roughly 80 to 100 psi (5.5 to 7 bar). What you DO get from higher pressures is faster tire wear, lower traction, and a less pleasant ride. Enjoy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    When I want to feel the pavement, I get off the bike and put my hands on the road. Your desire for vibration transmission through the handlebars and saddle is curious, because this is the very definition of suspension loss. That vibration is energy being dissipated by the tires "bouncing" over pavement irregularities rather and flexing. As tire pressures increase, suspensions losses increase while hysteresis losses decrease, cancelling each other out over a range from roughly 80 to 100 psi (5.5 to 7 bar). What you DO get from higher pressures is faster tire wear, lower traction, and a less pleasant ride. Enjoy.
    Polly wants a cracker.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    On an Orange bike, yes.
    Orange and vRed in the same ensemble?

I love to climb!
    Lol! Great post!
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast