Tire Rub Under Arch Of older Campy Record 10 Brake Caliper
    RoadBikeReview Member

Tire Rub Under Arch Of older Campy Record 10 Brake Caliper

I have a new problem with an old setup. I have a LOOK 555 with older Campy Record. I just replaced my Vittoria Rubino Pros 700x25 with Micheline Lithium 3 700x25........damn the Lithiums are just about touching the bottom of the caliper, why? I had this bike and set up for 10 years and have had 700x23 and 700x25 on it with no clearance problems. Can the tire height between brands be this different?

IMG_7243.jpg
    Live, or get out of the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by covrc View Post
    I have a new problem with an old setup. I have a LOOK 555 with older Campy Record. I just replaced my Vittoria Rubino Pros 700x25 with Micheline Lithium 3 700x25........damn the Lithiums are just about touching the bottom of the caliper, why? I had this bike and set up for 10 years and have had 700x23 and 700x25 on it with no clearance problems. Can the tire height between brands be this different?

IMG_7243.jpg
    Yep, as you're seeing 1st hand.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    No... it's not happening!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member

IMG_7243.jpg
    Ahah! The fork crown is too low, Kato!

Notice the pad assemblies slide up or down a few mms on the caliper? If you raised the caliper a few mms, it would clear the tire, and the pads have enough room to move down to fit the rim. LBS has adapters that lower the brake bridge, not sure if they're available that raise the bridge. But that would solve this problem.

How much clearance does the tire have under the fork crown? Can't believe it wouldn't clear a 25-28mm tire, but with the French you never know.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:47 PM.

[REDACTED]
    Can the tire height between brands be this different?
    Absolutely! Just ask anybody who owns Conti tires.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Banned forever.....or not
    One of my friends bought a pre-2000 Waterford frame. It would not fit ANY 25mm tire in back, without almost rubbing. Only 23's. Back then, nobody used 25's except tourists.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    No... it's not happening!
    Hey, hey, no need to be snarky. Maybe the OP accidentally washed the bike in hot water. Did you consider that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Another toothy washer between the caliper and the crown may give you a little more clearance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Another toothy washer between the caliper and the crown may give you a little more clearance.
    Maybe in another world!
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    A grinding attachment on a Dremel can give you another .5mm..........
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    The bike is built around 23mm tires. Three choices run 23's, run small 25's if they fit or buy a new bike. If you go for a new bike you may as well get one with room for 28's or 32's.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    If brake clearance is the only issue, there are probably calipers which have more clearance. They may not be Campy, but hey, the only other choice is a new bike.

TRP makes some brake calipers which sit higher.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

jpz
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

IMG_7243.jpg
    Michelins tend to run 1size bigger, Vittorias used to run smaller. This year Specialized &new Conti 5000 Tend to be narrower. Shop experience.

Jimpz

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the assist guys.
    Live, or get out of the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    One of my friends bought a pre-2000 Waterford frame. It would not fit ANY 25mm tire in back, without almost rubbing. Only 23's. Back then, nobody used 25's except tourists.
    That is, "recreational" riders who kept getting flats on 23's.

Yep, by 2000, builders were tucking the rear wheels up under the seat posts for better traction. It was great until riders slid out the tire sprinting, did wheelies, or fell off the back! You want the center of gravity ahead of the rear axle, not right over it. Klein showed the way with generous chain stays and 40" wheel bases.

Tubular tires of the day were 25-26mm, so the top level European road frames had room for them. The '84 DeRosa has clearance for 28mm tires, presumably for double duty in cyclocross over the winter. The rear wheel is exactly where I want it.

American builders went full hot rod. Anybody ride 20C's back then? They were terrible. 25C's were where it was at. Americans were late to the game.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If brake clearance is the only issue, there are probably calipers which have more clearance.
    It is rare that the brakes sit significantly lower than the fork crown or the brake bridge. If it won't clear Campy brakes, it's because the tire is nearly touching the brake bridge or the fork crown.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    It is rare that the brakes sit significantly lower than the fork crown or the brake bridge. If it won't clear Campy brakes, it's because the tire is nearly touching the brake bridge or the fork crown.
    Maybe rare, but it does happen. I have an older Trek bike where tires will not clear on newer Shimano calipers. Don't know about Campy.

If the OP would post a pic from the side, we could see if this would be a solution.

Banned forever.....or not
    The original Specialized "Turbo" racing clincher that was sold in the mid 80's, was sold as a 25, but if you measured it, it was a 20...…..Through the mid 90's Vittoria tubulars measured 21.5mm. Continental Competition's came in 19mm and 22mm size...….It wasn't until the mid to late 90's that Vittoria came out with a 23mm "rain" tubular...….
    The only exception was their 25mm Pave CG for racing on cobbles (also available in a 27mm for crazy rough stuff)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    The original Specialized "Turbo" racing clincher that was sold in the mid 80's, was sold as a 25, but if you measured it, it was a 20...…..Through the mid 90's Vittoria tubulars measured 21.5mm. Continental Competition's came in 19mm and 22mm size...….It wasn't until the mid to late 90's that Vittoria came out with a 23mm "rain" tubular...….
    The only exception was their 25mm Pave CG for racing on cobbles (also available in a 27mm for crazy rough stuff)
    Those Turbos were what made me give up on 23mm! Terrible. Turbo did make a 20C, didn't they?

The Conti tubulars I used squished rounder than clinchers, so they handled like a 28mm clincher. Come to think of it, can't remember if I actually measured them or just went by feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Maybe rare, but it does happen. I have an older Trek bike where tires will not clear on newer Shimano calipers. Don't know about Campy.

If the OP would post a pic from the side, we could see if this would be a solution.
    The picture shows the pad assemblies are mounted half way up the caliper extensions. They can be lowered a half inch. So there's plenty of clearance for a 25 mm tire. The brake is just mounted too low in the fork crown. Or the brake bolt is bent down.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    The picture shows the pad assemblies are mounted half way up the caliper extensions. They can be lowered a half inch. So there's plenty of clearance for a 25 mm tire. The brake is just mounted too low in the fork crown. Or the brake bolt is bent down.
    OK, makes sense now.