Took a crash with my brand new bianchi this morning.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Took a crash with my brand new bianchi this morning.

Hey everyone. This is kind of funny following my post from yesterday asking about my new bike.

So this morning I was on a ride with a couple guys (one of them owns my LBS)

Was following too close and overlapping, my own fault as Iím not experienced enough I should have kept my distance but my ego got in the way as it always does. I have to be way more careful

My front tire got wiped out by his rear and I tumbled going around 34km/h

The shifters are gashed and a few knicks in the frame.

My buddy took it to his shop immediately and checked it out, did a full inspection, straightened the wheel, re adjusted brakes, re torqued all bolts and said everything else looked good to go and it was mostly just cosmetic issues

My question is, Iím kind of worried to ride now because subconsciously I feel like a crash would ruin the structural integrity of the bike.

Has anyone else crashed at a high speed and had no issues with their bikes after LBS inspection?

Should I be this worried?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonini View Post

My question is, Iím kind of worried to ride now because subconsciously I feel like a crash would ruin the structural integrity of the bike.
    Your bike is fine. It's Alum and all those marks are superficial.

Has anyone else crashed at a high speed and had no issues with their bikes after LBS inspection?
    Yes. I've crashed (and know plenty of others) carbon bikes faster than that. No LBS inspection.
    Bikes are more robust than we think they are. It's pretty rare for a bike to break or severe damage just from going down. Typically breaks or severe damage happen from crashing into things or crashing in a group and having someone ride into or over your bike.

If your LBS guy said it's fine, I'd be 100% confident in riding that bike. Get some touch up paint and you're good.
    Get some fine sandpaper and smooth out the rough spots on your shifters so you don't feel it on your fingers.

Your injuries look pretty minor for 34km/h. I see you have a head bump. Did you inspect your helmet for damage? If so, you'll want to replace it.

Heal up and get back out there. You'll probably be a little timid riding close to others for a little while.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Your bike is fine. It's Alum and all those marks are superficial.

Yes. I've crashed (and know plenty of others) carbon bikes faster than that. No LBS inspection.
    Bikes are more robust than we think they are. It's pretty rare for a bike to break or severe damage just from going down. Typically breaks or severe damage happen from crashing into things or crashing in a group and having someone ride into or over your bike.

If your LBS guy said it's fine, I'd be 100% confident in riding that bike. Get some touch up paint and you're good.
    Get some fine sandpaper and smooth out the rough spots on your shifters so you don't feel it on your fingers.

Your injuries look pretty minor for 34km/h. I see you have a head bump. Did you inspect your helmet for damage? If so, you'll want to replace it.

Heal up and get back out there. You'll probably be a little timid riding close to others for a little while.
    Thanks for response!

Helmet was replaced this morning at the shop while being inspected, small scrape on the helmet nothing severe but canít be too careful. Really Appreciate your input!

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    The most important thing you can do while riding w/ others is protect your own front wheel. Always. Never overlap. The second most important thing you can do is to look before moving laterally. I was part of the teaching/mentoring group at an early season program here in the bay area for years and those are the hardest things to teach new racers.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I would be more concerned about my helmet than the bike. If it hit the road that is.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The most important thing you can do while riding w/ others is protect your own front wheel. Always. Never overlap. The second most important thing you can do is to look before moving laterally. I was part of the teaching/mentoring group at an early season program here in the bay area for years and those are the hardest things to teach new racers.
    Was it the early bird crits in Fremont? I've always wanted to go but wife isn't too keen on the idea of racing.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Was it the early bird crits in Fremont? I've always wanted to go but wife isn't too keen on the idea of racing.
    Yep, Early Birds. Great program. Larry Nolan is an amazing guy, he does so much for the racing community in Nor Cal. And he's damn fast!
    #promechaniclife

banned
    Dec 2011
    Is your bike fine ? It depends. Is cycling for you all about riding or about the bike ? If it's for the first one you're fine,if it's the second one I'm telling you you'll look at your bike like it's damaged and trahsed beyond repair. Use a black marker on the right hood and find some Bianchi paint for those dings,after that you should be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Is your bike fine ? It depends. Is cycling for you all about riding or about the bike ? If it's for the first one you're fine,if it's the second one I'm telling you you'll look at your bike like it's damaged and trahsed beyond repair. Use a black marker on the right hood and find some Bianchi paint for those dings,after that you should be fine.
    Itís about riding. But im not asking if itís fine cosmetically Iím asking if itís fine structurally so I donít ride and get hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonini View Post
    Itís about riding. But im not asking if itís fine cosmetically Iím asking if itís fine structurally so I donít ride and get hurt.

It's fine. Ride and forget about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did you take anyone else down in the incident?

If so, maybe stay off the group rides awhile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You shouldn't ride with those guys, start riding with a slower group at a lower level and watch out all the time.
    If you ride with really fast guys, you're going to get way over your head real fast. You need to learn to ride at your speed, not their's.
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    You shouldn't ride with those guys, start riding with a slower group at a lower level and watch out all the time.
    If you ride with really fast guys, you're going to get way over your head real fast. You need to learn to ride at your speed, not their's.
    Theirs.

Sorry, can't help myself.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I dunno. I think you learn to race by getting dropped and getting yelled at.

banned
    Mar 2019
    I'd say check the bike over and if it's ok shifting and steering, ask to join the next ride.
    There should be some attention and instruction by the other's at this point in time for your benefit. Communication is important.

A Very nice bike. It looked really excellent condition in your first post.
    I noticed bar/saddle setup was non-prairie too. I assume you can ride in the drops?

So..after your first ram and slam, you might wanna touch those frame blemishes up with fine emory paper, and dab of...
    Vernis ŗ ongles Nailes poli pour finir.
    https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/267820/
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:11 PM.

banned
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    I dunno. I think you learn to race by getting dropped and getting yelled at.

I'm not clear on many the details of his ride. It seem's several riders knew him.
    I assume it was casual. At least he didn't show up with a fit that looked like an
    intrazavenous /catheter stand combo . ..
    If his bike or body is not up to the performance level of group rides let hear about it.

Hey...Im' jus' a going by the pic's and the story line ya'all.
    I like hearing the fact and details.
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:04 PM.