Top tube dent in Cannondale Cyclocross Ultra...should I be worried?
    Beetpull DeLite

Question Top tube dent in Cannondale Cyclocross Ultra...should I be worried?

Hi everyone,

Right now I'm testing out a used '02 Cannondale Cyclocross Ultra a friend is selling. I'm liking the bike so far, and the only problem seems to be a small dent on the top tube. It's in the middle, and is about 3/8" wide and 1/4" high. It's not very deep, and there's no paint cracks around it.

The frame seems to be pretty tough, so should I just not worry about it? It'll be used as a road bike only, and shouldn't have any trail abuse.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Brian

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I guess I would say if you owned the bike already I'd just watch it but not be too worried. But if you are considering buying it, then it better be cheap! I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a dented AL frame. You can buy those Redline frames so cheap--I think around $400 brand new and with a warranty. So figure out what all those used parts are worth w/o the frame, and add $100. That's what I'd do anyway.

Jan 2004

Yeah--probably not a worry, but...

I have barcon shifters on a couple of bikes, and top tube dents pretty much come standard with those--no matter how careful you are, eventually you swing the bars into the frame and ding it a little. One is six or seven years old, and I've never had a problem with it. As Henry said, I'd be a little more concerned about an Al bike. But if I owned it, I'm sure I'd ride it without a single worry, or even a thought.

Sep 2002
    I have the same c'dale cross frame and have a dent that I would describe identically. Since the dent I've ridden it for a season of cross, tons of rides on some rooty east coast mountainbike trails, lots of road rides. I keep an eye on it but I don't sense it is going to be a problem. I have a friend who raced a badly dented Klein for years.

My advice is use the dent to negotiate a better price.