RoadBikeReview Member

Toughest descents you've ridden

Because it's all about being derivative.

A bit technical for me, plenty of washout consisting of sand/dirt/rock, plus it wasn't a closed course. Still, my time would've remained pathetic despite all that.

Encinal Downhill

https://www.strava.com/segments/6898526?filter=overall

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sa Calobra Majorca for me in terms of steep and technical

Pushed hard top to bottom and it's heart in mouth at many points

https://veloviewer.com/segment/10002...obra+Descent+1

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey.nott View Post
    Sa Calobra Majorca for me in terms of steep and technical

Pushed hard top to bottom and it's heart in mouth at many points

https://veloviewer.com/segment/10002...obra+Descent+1

That's my 50th birthday goal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The worst bit about it is knowing you have to come back up !!

Was hot when I did it , think temp hit 31c in the sun

Neophyte
    You're not playing the game right, it has to be more like the toughest descent that's not flagged as dangerous on Strava and has at least 2 stop signs or something.

But anyway, a MTB one (not road) might be the Downieville Downhill. Long, bumpy, with shale creek beds serving as the route in parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    A bit technical for me, plenty of washout consisting of sand/dirt/rock, plus it wasn't a closed course. Still, my time would've remained pathetic despite all that.
    I didn't see your time WetW, how far down are you?
    The fastest times are over 40mph and there is washout/sand/dirt/rock? OMG! Are you NUTS!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I didn't see your time WetW, how far down are you?
    The fastest times are over 40mph and there is washout/sand/dirt/rock? OMG! Are you NUTS!
    I'm waaaaaay down. It's also the wrong segment, sorry. This is the one, Highway 23/Decker, after Mulholland climb. I'm way down on that one, too lol.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6128...all&gender=all

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    After 35 years of downhill mountain biking, there are no 'technical' road descents, IMO.

(Dons flameproof suit)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Please be advised, "Technical" is a relative term. To roadie's that have a hard time standing up in clipon's, any turn can be 'technical'.
    Then there are a few, granted, very few, but some don't know what that term means! But they are out there!
    And on sand, in a corner, at 40mph, with guardco, .... that is 'technical'!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Slumgullion Pass in CO its 9 degrees coming down. Here is a video of a few minutes from the top: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2&&FORM=VRDGAR
    Closest I've ever come to dying on a bike was the first half of this descent. Not fun for a FL boy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ridden properly at speed which I did Say Calobra can be technical , but then I have ridden motorbikes for years

It's a bit more exciting than the one above

This video is the boys from my LBS

https://youtu.be/bUzm_remuQY

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    Slumgullion Pass in CO its 9 degrees coming down. Here is a video of a few minutes from the top: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2&&FORM=VRDGAR
    Closest I've ever come to dying on a bike was the first half of this descent. Not fun for a FL boy.
    I donít recall it being that bad, possibly as I had 2 days prior descended Red Mt. and Engineer passes in rain, while on the Ď99 Bike Tour of Colorado. I did pass a Jeep right near the top who pulled out of a dirt parking lot, I was doing 40 or so, he never caught me, yuk, yuk.

My worst memory is descending from the Santa Fe ski area (7 miles of 2800 ft.) on Rt 475 and realizing the state Dept. Of Highways had chip sealed it recently. I hadnít noticed in the way up. The way the lazy s**ts in NM would do chip seal is they would lay the tar, pour the gravel, take lunch and forget to come back with the steam roller to smooth it out. Thus they leave it up to the cars to carve 2 grooves with the shoulders remaining as loose gravel. That was no fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Far and away, for me... It was a mtb decent. Not crazy steep but it was long. It was a decent I know. But this time was in ice and snow. It snowed the day before, more so, slushed... it got cold as hell overnight. I rode the trail the next morning. I was able to use the natural icy outside drifts as banked turns. The whole run was crunchy ice/snow mix and it was fast. I never really expected it, Iíd ridden off into the woods and soon was climbing and climbing... It was in a few inches of ice/snow so it was pretty tough going. I was the only one in those woods... When I came out at what was clearly the top of a long decent I was so relieved... I didnít fully expect what I would be doing. It was SO MUCH FUN! I made it. The fatty was flawless and the disc brakes were crucial. Near the bottom, at a good speed, I ran into a snow drift that was maybe 2+ feet without ice. I blasted into it and it was so fun! Snow biking is awesome! It is never the same ride twice.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Far and away, for me... It was a mtb decent. Not crazy steep but it was long. It was a decent I know. But this time was in ice and snow. It snowed the day before, more so, slushed... it got cold as hell overnight. I rode the trail the next morning. I was able to use the natural icy outside drifts as banked turns. The whole run was crunchy ice/snow mix and it was fast. I never really expected it, Iíd ridden off into the woods and soon was climbing and climbing... It was in a few inches of ice/snow so it was pretty tough going. I was the only one in those woods... When I came out at what was clearly the top of a long decent I was so relieved... I didnít fully expect what I would be doing. It was SO MUCH FUN! I made it. The fatty was flawless and the disc brakes were crucial. Near the bottom, at a good speed, I ran into a snow drift that was maybe 2+ feet without ice. I blasted into it and it was so fun! Snow biking is awesome! It is never the same ride twice.
    I'm just now dipping my foot into the MTB pool, don't know if I will ever be ready for this though, lol. There's just something about the combo of hills in the woods and age that don't go well together I guess. That, or I need to start bring my flask when I hit the trails.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    After 35 years of downhill mountain biking, there are no 'technical' road descents, IMO.

(Dons flameproof suit)
    ^ This. The best roadies also ride MTB. The best mountain bikers also ride road. I include myself in both categories.

As for toughest descent, the road down Mauna Kea is quite steep and full of tight turns.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

(Dons flameproof suit)
    I have found that many mtb'ers (and dirt bikers), when they first get on a road bike on a fast descent, cannot keep up with a roadie with a little bit of an "above average" descending skills. I have dropped many many dirt bikers who think they just can get on a road bike and ride like a dirt bikes. One of my mtb buddies who is quite skilled on the dirt ate it hard on the road in a fast corner coming down Mulholland. He never got back on the road bike again. The difference between road and mtb is the speed and the cars. On the dirt, usually the speed is slower and if you make a mistake in a turn worse is you lock up your wheels and slide out or maybe endo and you'd still be able to walk away from such a crash, the consequences of mistakes on dirt are much more forgivable. Such option is hardly available for roadie who want to hammer it down a twisty descent, and so the stress level is much higher as the speed goes up. I can pretty guarantee that most of us in here would have a very difficult time hanging on to a pro roadie, with even average descending skills, in a steep and fast descent. Forget about hanging on to guys like Cancellara, Saga, Nibali, etc.. not even pro downhillers could hang onto to these guys

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I'm just now dipping my foot into the MTB pool, don't know if I will ever be ready for this though, lol. There's just something about the combo of hills in the woods and age that don't go well together I guess. That, or I need to start bring my flask when I hit the trails.
    I ride way more road than MTB... But I like the woods and the beach, especially outside of warmer road season. I like technical riding on trails, climbing root stairs, navigating over rocks... Iím not very good but itís fun. It has helped my road biking a lot. I just find I do weird stuff with the mtb, like trying to climb a hill in the woods that is so steep the front wheel lifts up unless I lean out over it, then the real wheel spins in the sand because itís unweighted. Iíve ridden on top of 20Ē of snow just packed enough by snow shoers. I learned that you canít put your foot down when you do that... haha. One of the very coolest rides Iíve done was on and off an inland ice flow. Bitter cold. Following high tide the bay will sometimes leave large pools trapped behind a rise in the dunes that freezes up. Thatís where I learned that, even knowing you are over land and the water under the ice is shallow, the sound of ice cracking and splintering does something to us that comes deep within our collective consciousness. I absolutely KNEW the real risk was minor but that sound, it send a fear through me...

On the road bike, the scariest elements of fast decent by me are side streets.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't have much problems with the twisty's, ... so I'm going with Mt Evans, CO. Going up isn't too bad, although difficult... BUT decending @ 40mph over those pavement joints & tar strips is a ride killer, I'll never do that one ag'in!
    BANNED

( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)
    I took an MTB class in college, as a health promotion elective. The classes were riding the trails around the local ski hill, then the "final exam" was to ride to the top and them bomb the trails coming back down. I'd say the single-black-diamond trail was the toughest...Several of us wound up walking, but the teacher's pet/TA/sponsored rider in the class rode the entire final day on his cyclocross bike, including a ginormous 4' dropoff.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?