RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Toughest false flats you’ve ridden

The ones that go on forever with no headwind and you can’t figure out why they’re so brutal and you don’t realize it’s a false flat til you get home and check Strava.

Yeah those blow
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    can you post an example of a strava segment that illustrates this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Not right now, the memories are too raw and painful and I’m not ready to re-experience the trauma.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Last tough false flat I had wasn't a flat, it was a broken spoke. It was a little up hill and I was putting the watts out and I looked down & was only doing 16mph, WTH? Jim yelled at me & we stopped, the rear wheel was into the chainstay big time.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    When does a climb become a false flat? Is there a scientifically proven grade %?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Last tough false flat I had wasn't a flat, it was a broken spoke. It was a little up hill and I was putting the watts out and I looked down & was only doing 16mph, WTH? Jim yelled at me & we stopped, the rear wheel was into the chainstay big time.
    Since the op refused to provide an example, i'll speculate an incline of 2% that continues over a long distance

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Power meters make them less demotivating-when you're pushing 200-250 watts and only going 13-14 mph you won't be thinking as much about how weak you are.

On the other hand, once you turn around and go low/mid 20s you won't feel as much like a rock star when your power meter is only showing 90-100 watts.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.strava.com/segments/11548369

Gravel rail trail.
    25mi
    0.5% Grade
    Headwind
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I haven't done a group ride in far too long, but the route they did went south of town where the terrain is shaped kinda like a Pringle. So, there was a 2 mile gentle uphill that ended in a quarter mile "real" hill. Then, the route turned around down the same ridge (a mile or so east of there), followed by another 2 mile gentle uphill back north into town.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah man when your eyes see a "flat" stretch of road, and you're only doing 12-13 mph, and your legs are screaming "wtf", well then you know it's false flat. Plenty of these around mountainous geography regions, such as Socal, Norcal Eastern Sierra, Colorado, Utah, etc. Any big open road of the Eastern Sierra will contain various false flat segments as the road here is undulating either going up or down but rarely horizontal!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have wondered while in the saddle why some climbs look alike but take very different efforts. For example, 2 near me... The first looks kinda sharp but I climb it all the time without much thought and maybe 2-3 gear shifts easier from the decent that precedes it. The other climb, no more than a few miles away, looks about the same, especially from a car. But I’m in 34/21-23 or something... It hurts. Now, you always start that climb from a stop because you cross a highway to get on it. Then, when you crest it, you are on a false flat for at least a mile. It looks like you are over the climb but I wind up in like 50/25. And a good burn.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    tough false flat? oxymoron

maybe wind sucks but flat of any kind is easy. I am happy when the climb is less than 5%, but the road engineers here prefer 15%
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

BikerFox Wannabe
    Toughest false flat I ever rode was first ride from rental house in Tucson with a group that went out there on a cycling trip. We went out for an easy afternoon “warm up” ride the day before riding Mt. Lemmon and I couldn’t figure out why holding on to the group at 18/19 mph was so friggin hard....until we turned around and FLEW home at 22/23 without even pedaling hard.
    Lesson learned: it’s most often either up or down around that part of the valley. Even when you can’t see the “hills”. 😉

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any questions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -hottie.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Any questions?
    Are you a freshman or sophomore this year?