Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Toughest LBS you've had to deal with

8K views 95 replies 31 participants last post by  frdfandc 
#1 ·
I got one in my area that gives Zero discount.

The price is the price!

#5 ·
I don't know if "tough" is the right word, but the LBSs that I can't stand are the ones that will never do work on the spot, no matter how minor. Need a wheel trued? Come back in a week. Shifter adjusted? Come back in a week? Bike assembled? Come back at the end of the summer.
almost posted the same sentiment...

the 'most popular' LBS here does that crap, it's annoying as hell. found a small shop near campus that's very accommodating on small repairs, often will do things while I wait or promise it done by COB.

for on-the-spot service, I usually drop a tenner in the tip jar. worth the money to not have to make two round trips to have the work done...

#9 ·
i only had one bad service experience about ten years ago. it was awful. i'll save you the details. but maybe i needed it, because it forced me to buy tools and learn to do all the work myself.

it's not even difficult to build wheels. i wish someone had adamantly told me that ten or more years ago and slapped some ******* sense in me.

#24 ·
I couldn't have said it better here! Really, do people really expect to haggle the price of low profit margin parts?

Now I have experienced all types of bike shops from dismal to exemplary. IMHO, as long as they fix my problem and aren't outright gouging me, they're good.

I don't know what makes a bike shop "tough to deal with", but my biggest pet peeve is if I spend $$ for a repair and then the problem isn't fixed.

1) Good
2) Cheap
3) Fast

Pick two.

And let's remember that the good bike shops will be busy and have a backlog. A bike shop that is empty on a warm sunny Saturday afternoon is probably not one you should be patronizing unless you want a ham-fisted repair.

#15 ·
I don't expect discounts at a bike shop any more than I do any other retail store - unless they have a sale then it's the sale price, nothing more.

#17 ·
Anyplace I shop regularly has a loyalty program of some sort. REI has it, Eddie Bauer has one, Cabelas, some grocery stores even have rebate programs.... My liquor chain of choice has a rewards program worth joining.

They make me feel special to "earn" a discount, or rebate or point reward applied in the future. Some local bike shops formalize it well, some have informal programs for recognizing their best customers, and some don't. I wouldn't write a shop off for not having a program as long as service is good, prompt and reasonably priced.

Yup. And there's a very real and unaccounted for cost in checking it in, taking it to storage, having it take up storage space, retrieving it from storage to do the work, assigning it to a mechanic, taking it back to storage after the work is done, retrieving it from storage when the customer comes back to pick it up. If shops are checking everything in, they're wasting time.

I leave every mechanic an hour of unscheduled time every day so we can just do easy on the spot stuff and still get through our work for the day - it makes us more efficient and our customers happier.
Actually, more than once, my shop of choice has rewarded me for my regular purchases and services by asking me when I could get back to get the bike after a medium/major service, and giving a no BS answer about if they could get it done in an hour or a day, rather than observing the formal "first come, first serviced" shop policy. Or ordering the part and promising to have it done by COB the day the part comes in...

When I need the work done, that's worth far more than any financial discount I'd get on the service.

#19 ·
my closest shop (5 mins ride) has a sign on the door warning that repairs need to have an "appointment" The owner works by himself but he looks pissed off when customers drop in on him and I haven't been to his shop in over 10 years. The other guy, 20 minutes away has a smaller shop, less on display, only stocks three brands of bikes and often does adjustments and quick repairs for free. I get discount on parts I buy there but usually just rounded down to the nearest dollar. He is busy, happy and I've sent over 20 people to him. Service is what wins you repeat customers not a few dollars knocked off the price. That said, if your bike looks like a POS I understand the guy saying that will take a few hours, come back later.

#21 ·
Also, understand that for every person who is annoyed that a shop can't do something while they wait (because sometimes we just can't) there's another person who is annoyed because you don't take reservations. There's only so much time in the day, and the people who use the guy who takes appointments probably think they're getting great service because of it.

#20 ·
Village Bike Shop is a chain in western Michigan. When I was building up my roadbike, I visited ALL the bike shops in the area, discussing my project, and gathering prices. What set Village Bike Shop apart was their blunt unwillingness to help me, saying that I didn't know what I was doing, that they wouldn't help me at all, and that I'd be better off just buying a complete bike from them. Every other bike shop in the area was super stoked to help me, and genuinely cared about my project, which is a bike I still ride to this day. And, this experience taught me exactly which shops are genuinely there for the customers, and which shops are only in it to make a sale.

#22 ·
the price is the price. 100% respect here

also, my offer is my offer. respect that, fo

just biznez. why do folks gets so cranky about this??? The bikes shops know their niche, they know about Chain Reaction, and they also know sometimes a person needs their goods asap. It's all good.

#29 ·
A good mechanic providing good service at an honest price is all I'm looking for. If they can fix it right now, I'm happy, if not, well N+1.

I do most all of the maintenance on my bikes, but when I have an issue beyond my capabilities, or tool chest, I usually know it's coming and I can speak to the mechanic before hand and know what to expect. No surprise, on either side, when he gets the work, and like I said, I have another bike to ride, if necessary.

That being said, the guy I used has just retired, closing his shop, and I have been in a tool buying mood.

I also have the opinion that people who treat their bikes like some of these posted in CX's thread about poor bike maintenance are fools if they expect to be moved to the head of the line.

#32 ·
That all depends on what you need. Shops stock lower cost items. You cannot expect them to have a cabinet full of $500 parts which may sell once every few months. That is a lot of capital to lay out.

Most stores will have the basics, tubes, tires, cables, some handlebar wrap, pedals and clothing, as well as whatever bikes they stock. Anything expensive is going to be a special order.

This is of course why online storefronts are better from a stock perspective, because they just have a warehouse, and are catering to a global market not a local market. And even then, some just do drop shipments from the manufacturer to your doorstep rather than stocking the item in their warehouse. A lot of variables involved.

Simple fact is, if you don't want LBSs to go out of business, you have to frequent them and spend money. You are not going to get the same service from an online retailer.

#39 ·
I hacve zero problem with a shop making money, even when it’s off of me. I need them, they need me.

I’m very happy with my LBS and I have a boat load to choose from. My first bike I brought to them I bought on Craig’s list. Same for the second bike I brought to them. They did on the spot work when they could and they did quality work quickly when they couldn’t. And I have always received good service and fair treatment. I have since purchased 2 bikes from them. Their service is just as good... Recently, I bought a bike online for my daughters birthday. By every chart it was the right size and I got a great price. She was thrilled! I wasn’t... When she stood over the bike it was way too big. I failed to adequately account for the fact she is MY daughter and has no legs. Just a torso and feet. I brought it to my LBS. I ate some loss, and happily. I replaced it with a properly fitting commuter and she is so thrilled! She LOVES the new bike! They helped me out AND they made some extra coin on my mistake. That’s life right there. Shoulda just bought the damn bike from them originally and it would have been $100 cheaper. They are always very nice and they have unloaded some clearance items for super cheap that I use regularly. Again, I expect that they need to make a living, and I make that expectation known.

#51 ·
While I am not big into haggling, I've done it as we all do for many things (homes, cars, 2nd hand goods)

when I sell an item myself and have decided I am firm on the price, I can get emotional about the hagglers .. but merely being amused. I really don't mind their offering, actually grateful to have it as an option even though I will turn it down. I can also get annoyed if the other party tries playing mental games though!

#55 ·
This is what bike shops miss. They tend to think that people buying online is about price, when really for a lot of people it's simply a better experience. They can read a bunch of impartial reviews, do all the research they want, don't have to leave their house, and the stuff just shows up.

If you want to succeed in retail, you have to offer a better experience than that. Being grumpy about the fact that parts can be bought online for less doesn't help with the experience.

#67 ·
I'll preface my comments with this; I have certain scenarios where I support my local shop and certain scenarios where I buy online and do any work myself. However, when I read the threads about LBS vs online stores, I generally think about the issues below.

1. People say it isn't emotional, it is just business. However, they also say support your local shop, which is emotional (keep the little guy, someone you might know, in business by spending more). LBS employees make it emotional for the customer by being annoyed when the customer buys something online.

2. LBS employees don't want the customer to haggle on prices. Online shops offer price matching.

3. LBS takes the order from the customer and places an order with the distributor. The item generally arrives within 3-7 days (depending on when the shop placed their order). Online shops ship when the item is ordered (usually). The item is received in 2-7 days (depending on shipping).
3a. If the customer has questions about an item, they can talk to the LBS employee. If the customer has questions about an item, they can chat or call and talk to the online retailer employee. Knowledge will vary in both situations. Personal experience is that online support tends to be friendlier.

4. LBS offers expertise for builds/repairs. Internet has Youtube videos.
4a. My personal opinion is that service is where the LBS can strengthen that emotional tie to support your local store. Great service makes the customer feel good about the transaction and makes them want to support the store/owner/employees.
4b. My personal experience has been that many shops provide poor service (many different shops in many different situations). In conversations with other cyclists, these poor interactions actually drive customers to the internet.

I've had too numerous to count interactions with LBS owners and employees. I've found one or two that I trust completely. The rest have left a very bad impression (to many examples to share in this post).

#69 ·
I love my local bike shop. They just warrantied a Specialized frameset replacement for me. The frame was rebuilt by the best mechanic in the shop. He is a brother from a different mother. Love the guy.
All said? There is no way he can adjust or set up a bike as well as me. Part of it...a big part is...he doesn't have the time to do it how I like.

When he said Spesh would support the warranty replacement...he went to bat for me. Can't thank him enough. I am not an avid shopper at that shop. However I am fluent 'in bike'. I actually helped him decide on the particular replacement because the model I had was no longer being made by Spesh.

So what did I do when I got it home? I tore it down and rebuilt it to my standards. I tried to get them simply to give me the frameset. They wouldn't. They wanted my $150 to build it which btw was fine with me. They went to bat for me and they deserved some level of profit for this effort. But the bike was way out of adjustment to my standards when I picked it up. Everything.
Fasteners installed dry....I straightened the rear derailleur hanger which should be done on every bike build but rarely is...to ensure perfect indexing of gear changes.

The bike rides amazing now. I am grateful to the shop for doing this for me. I direct a lot of business there because I am pretty connected in the cycling community.

So bike shop relationships are complicated. No bike shop can adjust a bike as well as me in my experience. Part of it is talent but a lot of it is time. They cant spend the time I can to build it perfectly.

Bike shops serve a real need to the public. Vast majority with bikes becoming more complicated need bike shop support if they are avid riders. Most consumers aren't mechanical inclined to set up a bike properly and of course even many but not all shops fall down to do it right as well.

#70 ·
same here, I adjust things down to the millimeter and no shop is going to care "that" much.

everything has to be "dialed" so I do it myself, plus I have teh time.

#79 ·
Some years ago I wanted to buy a bike from a local shop but wanted a different color scheme than he had in stock. First he tried to get me to buy an in stock bike by saying he only places orders once a month, no problem I will wait, here's the deposit. Month goes by and I check to see what delivery date would be, he says"I didn't have much to order so am putting it off until next month". I said that doesn't work for me, order the bike and I will pay in full, when it comes I will assemble it myself. He said no, he needs to assemble them or the warranty is void.

I about got in a fist fight with the guy to get my deposit back! Short time later business closed., sure glad I got my money back.

#80 ·
Cooper, availability of new bikes for LBS to buy from the distributors .. can be extremely limited for at least half the year. So the LBS has to commit to ordering a helluva lot of bikes at once to suit the demand for variety for a whole year, or they just can't get the bike you want. The Specialized dealer nearest to me is particularly awful for this issue. They just never have a bike in a spec and size and colour for me. They mainly stock lower end bikes, and when Ive asked for what is available, it comes down to a narrow window in the fall or early spring for ordering a bike. Or they just say 'come back in early spring when we have a lot of stock,' the rest of the year I can pound sand. This is quite in contrast to the Giant bike shop downtown which stocks tons of bikes and has quick access to almost the whole company lineup within a day or two. Another Specialized shop I frequent in Tucson stores a ton of bikes off site in a warehouse to help smoothen out this seasonal supply chain issue.

#82 ·
And this is why small shops (that don't have warehouses) will always be at a disadvantage. If you're dropping a decent chunk of money on a bike, you should be able to get the one you want, not the one they have in stock. Frankly, it'd be great to see the Tesla model -- where the showroom is just that, a showroom. You find the bike you like and that fits, and you then order it and it's delivered within a few days.

Business model issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.