Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Toughest LBS you've had to deal with

I got one in my area that gives Zero discount.

The price is the price!
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    For me.. it is the LBS where the owner is a good friend.. you want the best deal possible.. but at the same time, you want to support your friend...

RoadBikeReview Member
    'toughest'...? what's tough about retail sales...?

a shop either appreciates my business and gives me good pricing and service or I go elsewhere.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know if "tough" is the right word, but the LBSs that I can't stand are the ones that will never do work on the spot, no matter how minor. Need a wheel trued? Come back in a week. Shifter adjusted? Come back in a week. Bike assembled? Come back at the end of the summer.
    Last edited by nealric; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:54 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I don't know if "tough" is the right word, but the LBSs that I can't stand are the ones that will never do work on the spot, no matter how minor. Need a wheel trued? Come back in a week. Shifter adjusted? Come back in a week? Bike assembled? Come back at the end of the summer.
    almost posted the same sentiment...

the 'most popular' LBS here does that crap, it's annoying as hell. found a small shop near campus that's very accommodating on small repairs, often will do things while I wait or promise it done by COB.

for on-the-spot service, I usually drop a tenner in the tip jar. worth the money to not have to make two round trips to have the work done...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm seeing a "Seinfeld" episode here, where if you don't follow proper procedure...

NO DURA-ACE FOR YOU!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I don't know if "tough" is the right word, but the LBSs that I can't stand are the ones that will never do work on the spot, no matter how minor. Need a wheel trued? Come back in a week. Shifter adjusted? Come back in a week. Bike assembled? Come back at the end of the summer.
    Shops that do that suck. It's never that busy. I'm slammed, we're short a mechanic, and I've got bikes to build. Today I did an on-the-spot spoke replacment for a guy that was riding by, and then a chain install for a guy. Cost me 20-25mins, got back to work. Made 2 people happy.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Shops that do that suck. It's never that busy. I'm slammed, we're short a mechanic, and I've got bikes to build. Today I did an on-the-spot spoke replacment for a guy that was riding by, and then a chain install for a guy. Cost me 20-25mins, got back to work. Made 2 people happy.
    Yup. And there's a very real and unaccounted for cost in checking it in, taking it to storage, having it take up storage space, retrieving it from storage to do the work, assigning it to a mechanic, taking it back to storage after the work is done, retrieving it from storage when the customer comes back to pick it up. If shops are checking everything in, they're wasting time.

I leave every mechanic an hour of unscheduled time every day so we can just do easy on the spot stuff and still get through our work for the day - it makes us more efficient and our customers happier.

a real member's member
    i only had one bad service experience about ten years ago. it was awful. i'll save you the details. but maybe i needed it, because it forced me to buy tools and learn to do all the work myself.

it's not even difficult to build wheels. i wish someone had adamantly told me that ten or more years ago and slapped some ******* sense in me.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

The price is the price!
    I don't understand how that makes them tough. Is the grocery store tough because they sell things at the marked price? What about the gas station?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i only had one bad service experience about ten years ago. it was awful. i'll save you the details. but maybe i needed it, because it forced me to buy tools and learn to do all the work myself.

it's not even difficult to build wheels. i wish someone had adamantly told me that ten or more years ago and slapped some ******* sense in me.
    For some people it isn't difficult. You should see what some other people do to their bikes while attempting to fix them though. It would cure you of telling people "building wheels isn't hard" in a heartbeat (even though building wheels is not, in fact, hard.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    There is a reason they are a local shop, it's a business. Everyone gets the bottom dollar deal and guess what, they are OoB.
    Pay for your work and be happy. It could be raining!
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Yup. And there's a very real and unaccounted for cost in checking it in, taking it to storage, having it take up storage space, retrieving it from storage to do the work, assigning it to a mechanic, taking it back to storage after the work is done, retrieving it from storage when the customer comes back to pick it up. If shops are checking everything in, they're wasting time.

I leave every mechanic an hour of unscheduled time every day so we can just do easy on the spot stuff and still get through our work for the day - it makes us more efficient and our customers happier.
    ^All of this^!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, that happened once to me - never went back to that shop for work and never would. Another shop did the work for me with 24 hour turnaround, and i'm now a loyal customer there.
    Last edited by Srode; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:13 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

The price is the price!
    I don't expect discounts at a bike shop any more than I do any other retail store - unless they have a sale then it's the sale price, nothing more.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

I tried...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to masont again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I don't expect discounts at a bike shop any more than I do any other retail store - unless they have a sale then it's the sale price, nothing more.
    Anyplace I shop regularly has a loyalty program of some sort. REI has it, Eddie Bauer has one, Cabelas, some grocery stores even have rebate programs.... My liquor chain of choice has a rewards program worth joining.

They make me feel special to "earn" a discount, or rebate or point reward applied in the future. Some local bike shops formalize it well, some have informal programs for recognizing their best customers, and some don't. I wouldn't write a shop off for not having a program as long as service is good, prompt and reasonably priced.

Actually, more than once, my shop of choice has rewarded me for my regular purchases and services by asking me when I could get back to get the bike after a medium/major service, and giving a no BS answer about if they could get it done in an hour or a day, rather than observing the formal "first come, first serviced" shop policy. Or ordering the part and promising to have it done by COB the day the part comes in...

When I need the work done, that's worth far more than any financial discount I'd get on the service.
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I tried...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to masont again.
    Lol. So did I.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cxwrench again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my closest shop (5 mins ride) has a sign on the door warning that repairs need to have an "appointment" The owner works by himself but he looks pissed off when customers drop in on him and I haven't been to his shop in over 10 years. The other guy, 20 minutes away has a smaller shop, less on display, only stocks three brands of bikes and often does adjustments and quick repairs for free. I get discount on parts I buy there but usually just rounded down to the nearest dollar. He is busy, happy and I've sent over 20 people to him. Service is what wins you repeat customers not a few dollars knocked off the price. That said, if your bike looks like a POS I understand the guy saying that will take a few hours, come back later.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Village Bike Shop is a chain in western Michigan. When I was building up my roadbike, I visited ALL the bike shops in the area, discussing my project, and gathering prices. What set Village Bike Shop apart was their blunt unwillingness to help me, saying that I didn't know what I was doing, that they wouldn't help me at all, and that I'd be better off just buying a complete bike from them. Every other bike shop in the area was super stoked to help me, and genuinely cared about my project, which is a bike I still ride to this day. And, this experience taught me exactly which shops are genuinely there for the customers, and which shops are only in it to make a sale.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    my closest shop (5 mins ride) has a sign on the door warning that repairs need to have an "appointment" The owner works by himself but he looks pissed off when customers drop in on him and I haven't been to his shop in over 10 years. The other guy, 20 minutes away has a smaller shop, less on display, only stocks three brands of bikes and often does adjustments and quick repairs for free. I get discount on parts I buy there but usually just rounded down to the nearest dollar. He is busy, happy and I've sent over 20 people to him. Service is what wins you repeat customers not a few dollars knocked off the price. That said, if your bike looks like a POS I understand the guy saying that will take a few hours, come back later.
    Also, understand that for every person who is annoyed that a shop can't do something while they wait (because sometimes we just can't) there's another person who is annoyed because you don't take reservations. There's only so much time in the day, and the people who use the guy who takes appointments probably think they're getting great service because of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    the price is the price. 100% respect here

also, my offer is my offer. respect that, fo

just biznez. why do folks gets so cranky about this??? The bikes shops know their niche, they know about Chain Reaction, and they also know sometimes a person needs their goods asap. It's all good.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also, understand that for every person who is annoyed that a shop can't do something while they wait (because sometimes we just can't) there's another person who is annoyed because you don't take reservations. There's only so much time in the day, and the people who use the guy who takes appointments probably think they're getting great service because of it.
    yes I get that, but he isn't busy, never has been.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't understand how that makes them tough. Is the grocery store tough because they sell things at the marked price? What about the gas station?
    I couldn't have said it better here! Really, do people really expect to haggle the price of low profit margin parts?

Now I have experienced all types of bike shops from dismal to exemplary. IMHO, as long as they fix my problem and aren't outright gouging me, they're good.

I don't know what makes a bike shop "tough to deal with", but my biggest pet peeve is if I spend $$ for a repair and then the problem isn't fixed.

1) Good
    2) Cheap
    3) Fast

Pick two.

And let's remember that the good bike shops will be busy and have a backlog. A bike shop that is empty on a warm sunny Saturday afternoon is probably not one you should be patronizing unless you want a ham-fisted repair.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I couldn't have said it better here! Really, do people really expect to haggle the price of low profit margin parts?
    I’m talking about complete bikes.

If someone walks in with a stack of frog pelts for a 10k bike and owner won’t haggle then that’s ok but the person may go elsewhere.

Conversely, I don’t care for people who haggle without the means to purchase right then and there.

Those types suck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast