Trainer dvd's for winter trainer suffering
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Trainer dvd's for winter trainer suffering

Now that winter is rolling around I got myself a kurt kinetic trainer. I set it up in the living room in front of the big 50" tv. 20 minutes into the workout, the sweat starts and the suffering begins. Riding a bicycle inside the house is no fun at all. Screw it. It also sucks that the missus is not thrilled about having a trainer in her living room.

Are there any video or audio programs that can help the trainer sessions go by and a achieve a little more productivity in my workouts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Spinervals, CTS and TheSufferfest.com all have things to train you on the trainer.

Keep in mind winter is for building base. So, interval training, all the time gets you over trained.

Since you are inside, get a trainer tire and mat. These keep the little blk particles from getting around
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    What happens if you over train?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not sure it is possible to do base building on an indoor trainer. That would require you to ride 3 to 4 hours on the trainer at a time. That's not going to happen.

So I actually completely disagree with ziscwg, and would instead do intense 1-hour trainer rides at least once, maybe twice a week (intervals or threshold), supplemented by one long outdoor ride of some type. Even if that means bundling up with a ton of winter clothing.

As long as you have rest days mixed in you won't overtrain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    I'm not sure it is possible to do base building on an indoor trainer. That would require you to ride 3 to 4 hours on the trainer at a time. That's not going to happen.

So I actually completely disagree with ziscwg, and would instead do intense 1-hour trainer rides at least once, maybe twice a week (intervals or threshold), supplemented by one long outdoor ride of some type. Even if that means bundling up with a ton of winter clothing.

As long as you have rest days mixed in you won't overtrain.
    Frozen snot on my mustache, no thanks , I'd rather sit for a couple hours in front of the idiot box

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like to watch the "Low-Key Hillclimb" videos on YouTube. Most are great with power, cadence and speed interposed of the screen so you are able to mimic what is going on. They seem to last about the right amount of time, force the right amount of effort on the trainer and then you can watch the downhill video if available too and cool down. Best thing about it is its free.
    A while back I decided to ride a bike as often as possible. These are my observations from the saddle, one pedal stroke at a time, on my way to being a better cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minutemaidman View Post
    I like to watch the "Low-Key Hillclimb" videos on YouTube. Most are great with power, cadence and speed interposed of the screen so you are able to mimic what is going on. They seem to last about the right amount of time, force the right amount of effort on the trainer and then you can watch the downhill video if available too and cool down. Best thing about it is its free.
    This is what Im talking about:
    lowkey hill climb montebello 2011 - YouTube
    A while back I decided to ride a bike as often as possible. These are my observations from the saddle, one pedal stroke at a time, on my way to being a better cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minutemaidman View Post
    This is what Im talking about:
    lowkey hill climb montebello 2011 - YouTube
    Cool. Do you happen to know if there is an, "all female riders" version? Just wondering.
    I got on the trainer the other day during the snowstorm. After 15 minutes I couldn't stand it. And we gotta turn the clocks back soon too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgestone View Post
    Frozen snot on my mustache, no thanks , I'd rather sit for a couple hours in front of the idiot box
    or get rid of the silly snail on the upper lip
    Blows your hair back.

Slightly Opinionated
    The Real Rides series with Robbie ventura is a pretty good series.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    I like the Sufferfest.com downloadable vids. They are cheap, cover a lot of race video footage with good music tracks.....and best of all you can stream them. I have them on ipads, iphones and AppleTV for on the go or in home training.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use old races, mostly TdFs, for endurance riding on the rollers and Real Rides and CTS for my intervals. I have a lot of vids as an attempt to minimize boredom.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Irch View Post
    Flying in February, fried by July?

Something like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can plateau, maybe get sick more often, feel fatigued, potentially lose fitness.

My first racing season, I did nothing but intervals. I fell into the trap because I kept getting stronger and faster, but by mid season, I had hit a wall and started to notice it was getting harder for me to keep up despite all the work I was doing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

structured vs not

Now that winter is rolling around I got myself a kurt kinetic trainer. I set it up in the living room in front of the big 50" tv. 20 minutes into the workout, the sweat starts and the suffering begins. Riding a bicycle inside the house is no fun at all. Screw it. It also sucks that the missus is not thrilled about having a trainer in her living room.

Are there any video or audio programs that can help the trainer sessions go by and a achieve a little more productivity in my workouts?
    If you want something more structured I think the Spinervals can work quite well. These are hard workouts designed to improve certain areas Be warned that coach Troy is an evil, sadistic bastard! If you just want to spin and keep some basic aerobic fitness watching TdF videos might do the trick. I find that its tough to get a good workout while watching regular tv or movies. You just can't follow the story and suffer at the same time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    If you want something more structured I think the Spinervals can work quite well. These are hard workouts designed to improve certain areas Be warned that coach Troy is an evil, sadistic bastard! If you just want to spin and keep some basic aerobic fitness watching TdF videos might do the trick. I find that its tough to get a good workout while watching regular tv or movies. You just can't follow the story and suffer at the same time
    says the man who watches the Wizard of Oz while on the trainer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico2000 View Post
    Cool. Do you happen to know if there is an, "all female riders" version? Just wondering.
    umm.. good point. I hadn't thought of that

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm lucky enough to have just about every significant race from about 1980 on dvd, so I can go all offseason without watching the same one twice. They are more or less for atmosphere, because I really focus on the information on the garmin ( speed/hr/duration/etc.) and what I'm trying to accomplish during the indoor session. for me, getting in the "training zone" and getting good numbers makes the indoor ride go faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    The Real Rides series with Robbie ventura is a pretty good series.
    I really like the 3 that I have. Those plus the Sufferfest videos do the trick for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sitting on any trainer is mind numbing boring and sadistic. The reason that I cycle is that it is fun. I would do it even if it was bad for you. I would do it even if they said if causes cancer.
    Looking at a TV does not make it fun. I would rather go out and walk in the rain then sit on a trainer.